To decal or to spray - That is the question

The Japanese WW2 fighter. This kit is virtually all metal and available from DeAgostini at http://www.model-space.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:04 pm

Here is a though for you all.

With the Zero (and the stuka for that matter) being as big as it is (1/16 for those who don't know) I think that it would look better to mask and spray the national marking rather than use decals. This way it does look like part of the paint job. It is easier to use the decals though, but my feeling is that these big beautiful models would look tons better and more authentic to have a mask and spray job.

Now - Who knows where we can get 1/16 masks for these aircraft???

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: To decal or to spray - That is the question

Postby Experten » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:44 pm

Hi James,

It 1/16 it would be easy enough to draft them out on frisket, then apply that. Frisket is an artist's low tack masking material. If you have ever used the masks produced by Montex, it is essentially that stuff. You can get it in sheets and run it through a copy machine to get the insignia outlines for consistency.

I can't even begin to think about how I am going to finish my Zero and Stuka. I love the skeleton look, but they sure would look nice painted and skinned as well. The Zero is much better looking naked though. :D I also kind of think that the 37mm guns on the Stuka will be hard to mount without the skin on the wings. We'll see. It is a LONG way out though, and I have time to think about it.

Mark

Mark
The crazy Yank
Current builds: Altalya Citroen 2CV, Fabbri-Centauria LaFerrari, DeAgostini Shelby Mustang, DeAgostini Jaguar, Hachette Lancaster, (and one or two others)
Experten
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Re: To decal or to spray - That is the question

Postby baby_astons » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:59 pm

painting would be much better in this scale, yes - much more realistic,
I'm thinking of making one half skinned/painted and the other as a naked skeleton...

would be nice having 2 but time/money is - as always - a matter to respect...
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Return to Zero