DJG's Zero

The Japanese WW2 fighter. This kit is virtually all metal and available from DeAgostini at http://www.model-space.com

DJG's Zero

Sponsor

Sponsor

DJG's Zero

Postby DJG Downunder » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:28 pm

Hello all, I was going to wait until finishing the Bismarck before starting another build, but I found it too hard to resist this one.
So far I have received 3 deliveries of parts, which is 12 issues.

Here's the array of parts from those 3 deliveries.
I've learnt a lot of things from this forum since joining it, and one of the most important things I now know is that the international recognised measurement for size comparison is a standard lego figure. (If you don't have a sugar cube)
So I've enlisted the help of Lego Princess Leia as a gauge of size.
Those of you with good enough vision to decipher my rather ordinary photographic skills, will notice there are tools included.
So far I've received needle-nose pliers, tweezers, sandpaper, mini drill and bits and a screwdriver.

The detail is impressive, the fins on the cylinder heads are very fine and will require a light touch with the paint application.
I've decided to go for a half-skinned but painted finish on my build.

Here's leia with the inlet manifold and the lower wing frame panel in the background, showing its 0.5 mm thickness.

Here's a wing rib, the inlet manifold and the outer lower wing panel.

This is both lower wing panels and there's also the folding wing tip coming in future issues, to go on the end, but this shows clearly enough that it will be fairly large model when complete.

The first steps involve polishing and assembling the propeller, but I've decided to jump ahead to the wing assembly.
This is one of the spars. The tabs in the foreground have been drilled with a 0.7mm drill, I haven't done the ones on the top yet. There are a lot of holes to drill, but they are all pre-punched and it's relatively easy to do, just a little time consuming.
Once I've drilled all the holes in both spars and test fitted the ribs, it'll all be taken apart again to be primered and then a coat of Aotake Blue, before re-assembly.
That's all for now, more photos soon.
DJG Downunder
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: DJG's Zero

Postby COENIE » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:41 pm

That's a nice start mate. Have a K for kicking in another build diary. :D
I started here ... viewtopic.php?f=57&t=228#p1377
and is now finish with ... viewtopic.php?f=48&t=339
COENIE
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:29 pm

Have a K from me too, even if I am jealous :mrgreen:
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Experten » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:27 pm

Mark,

It must be doubly tough on you since you get to play with all my parts before you send them on! Not too late to subscribe though, or are you holding out for the Stuka?

Mark
Mark
The crazy Yank
Current builds: Altalya Citroen 2CV, Fabbri-Centauria LaFerrari, DeAgostini Shelby Mustang, DeAgostini Jaguar, Hachette Lancaster, (and one or two others)
Experten
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Eric » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:17 pm

Experten wrote:Mark,

It must be doubly tough on you since you get to play with all my parts before you send them on!

Mark

Must......resist......must......resist......can't say it.........sooooooooooo tempting......... :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Building;
HMS Hood
Tiger Tank
RMS Titanic

Built;
Bismarck
Eric
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:48 am

Oh, it is ! You're lucky you dont get pre-assembled parts in the post :laughing-rolling:
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Experten » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:18 am

Eric,

I was aware as soon as I posted that how it sounded.. I decided to leave it as is, just to let you all have a giggle.
Mark
The crazy Yank
Current builds: Altalya Citroen 2CV, Fabbri-Centauria LaFerrari, DeAgostini Shelby Mustang, DeAgostini Jaguar, Hachette Lancaster, (and one or two others)
Experten
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Jinnai » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:26 am

Is this $15 an issue from Bissett directly?

I've been tempted by this, but I still have all my other current works, as well as the Lancaster sitting slowly collecting.

I am very tempted by this.
Jinnai
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby NSCXP2005 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:19 am

Looks an excellent kit, I really want to get it but,
I would like to know what tools are included in this kit first?

Thanks

All the best,

NSCXP2005
NSCXP2005
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby DJG Downunder » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:36 pm

I didn't know it included tools until the parts arrived. I wouldn't base the value of the kit on the tools, I doubt there will be a huge amount of them, they're probably the same ones you can buy direct from the Modelspace shop on-line.
Make no mistake, this is not a cheap kit....... but in my opinion it is worth the extra cash, or at least it has been so far.
The parts are extremely well made and to a fine tolerance, but having said that I'm only a relative newcomer to these kits.
I've got the Bismarck, and I'm collecting the Lancaster, Tiger and Victory, and this is the most finely manufactured one of that selection, but it's also the most expensive.
DJG Downunder
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby NSCXP2005 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:44 pm

OK, Cool.

Would you be able to point me to a link for the Tools?

NSCXP2005
NSCXP2005
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby DJG Downunder » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:53 am

Hello NSCXP2005
This is the link to the Modelspace tool shop,
http://shop.deagostini.co.uk/filter-by/tools/?p=1

But I have had a good look in there and the tools available for purchase are different to the ones supplied with the Zero kit, so I was wrong about that. :oops:
I will post some photos of the Zero tools in my next post. (Camera's battery needs to be charged).
DJG Downunder
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby DJG Downunder » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:57 am

Here's the tools I've got so far, the quality isn't too bad, I've certainly seen a lot worse. The little hand drill works fine.

This is the Port wing with the spars screwed to the lower frame. The ribs are just dry fitted, and as you can see I haven't removed the ID tags from the ribs yet.
(2nd, 3rd and 4th ribs from the camera have a tag in the place where the fuel tank goes, this is the ID tag...... see 4th photo in the original build post)
Note the triple tabs on each spar, between the second and third ribs, I assume these are to attach to the fuselage.

Here's a close up of the screws. It's amazing how strong the resultant structure is, with these in place. It will be even better once the frames are glued in. (I'm assuming they'll be glued)

Here's Leia with one of the screws, they are truly tiny and potential carpet-monster food.

And another view, illustrating the size. The four small holes around the circular hole in the front spar were drilled by me as part of the kit. These holes are associated with the wing-mounted machine gun.
DJG Downunder
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby chill » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:43 pm

Looking good there(just caught up with the thread)
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby kwakermad » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:16 pm

Looking good, i am letting my one collect at the moment till I get a proper workspace sorted out. Cant stop doing the McLaren though, but at least this comes pre painted :D :D :D

Have a K
If you cant be good, be good at it.

Builds in prodress;
Deagostini 1/8th McLaren
Deagostini 1/16th Zero
Hachette 1/16th Stuka
kwakermad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby casper » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:22 pm

DJG Downunder wrote:Here's the tools I've got so far, the quality isn't too bad, I've certainly seen a lot worse. The little hand drill works fine.

This is the Port wing with the spars screwed to the lower frame. The ribs are just dry fitted, and as you can see I haven't removed the ID tags from the ribs yet.
(2nd, 3rd and 4th ribs from the camera have a tag in the place where the fuel tank goes, this is the ID tag...... see 4th photo in the original build post)
Note the triple tabs on each spar, between the second and third ribs, I assume these are to attach to the fuselage.

Here's a close up of the screws. It's amazing how strong the resultant structure is, with these in place. It will be even better once the frames are glued in. (I'm assuming they'll be glued)

Here's Leia with one of the screws, they are truly tiny and potential carpet-monster food.

And another view, illustrating the size. The four small holes around the circular hole in the front spar were drilled by me as part of the kit. These holes are associated with the wing-mounted machine gun.

Zero looks very nice DJG, i would love to have a go at this kit.
I think your right about the gear rib area DJG, they could be fixing points for the landing gear.
Forgive me but how many ribs are there per side, i tried counting them but get half way down and have to start again :roll: It looks to be 30ish.
Its amazing to think that an Airbus 320 has only 27 per side all around 12 to 8mm thick.
very nice kit DJG , I want one :mrgreen:
there a one or two photos of the gear rib area but you may have already seen these.
http://www.scalemodelnews.com/2012/01/d ... scale.html
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Experten » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:01 am

Aren't those screws microscopic?
Mark
The crazy Yank
Experten
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby baby_astons » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:42 am

djg, are the ribs alloy stampings (as it would look to me) or is it something etched - however, VERY tempting...
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby DJG Downunder » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:48 am

Hello all, yes Astons, they're alloy stampings, and they are are formed fairly closely to the aerofoil shape of the bottom of the wing. Of course once glued to the ribs, this will be even better.
Ah rib numbers are 25 I think, there's a couple of half ribs and an additional half spar at the rear where the aileron mounts. Also there's the folding wing tip, which has 3 or 4 ribs as well, which I am guessing will actually be foldable.
All wing parts so far, are stamped alloy. The cylinder heads, propeller parts and machine gun parts appear to be cast alloy and the engine crankcase seems to be a different metal, but it is also cast.
Tolerances are very small, and you'd almost have to be trying to get a bad alignment, in fact I reckon it's almost impossible.
The parts were also packed quite well.
So far, I'm quite impressed. Hopefully I'll get a chance to blow the dust out of my airbrush and get the engine crankcase painted this weekend.
DJG Downunder
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby baby_astons » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:58 am

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Next

Return to Zero