Snaps build take two!

The Japanese WW2 fighter. This kit is virtually all metal and available from DeAgostini at http://www.model-space.com

Snaps build take two!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Snaps build take two!

Postby snapdragon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:28 am

Yes Folks I am back and I have been working on the Zero.

Like Morrigan I have been doing a few mods and will post my build here.

Over the next few posts I will cover my build of the port wing. First the ribs.

I have done the same as Morrigan. Once the rib is finished and painted and then installed it looks like the original. Well worth the extra time taken and improves the look of the wing. If you can do it then great stuff, If you don't think you are up to it then - Hey! It is something to aspire to!

Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Snaps build take two!

Postby snapdragon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:10 pm

Engine Pictures

Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:23 pm

Glad to see your work back sir . K for the engine :clap:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:57 pm

The engine does look good James. Look forward to seeing the rest of the build :D
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby baby_astons » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:12 pm

really, nothing to add, like it - take care of your nephew or the thread might get renamed to "take five" :laughing-rolling: sorry james, unable to reset bad habits ;)
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby morrigan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:57 pm

Looking good James!
The engine certainly looks the business. :clap:
As BA said keep Nephews away..and cats!
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby casper » Wed May 01, 2013 10:05 am

nice work on the engine snaps :clap:
Image[/quote]
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby snapdragon » Sat May 04, 2013 12:51 pm

Here are some more pictures for you all.

First a little explanation. I do read the downloaded instructions very carefully and like to work a few months in arrears, and quite often put the thing in a box fore a while and work on other builds.

This gives me the opportunity to plan the best way to tackle things to try and make the build easier and to facicilate any mods that I choose to do.

I decided to "have a rest" from fighting with the engine wiring ( It can be very frustrating) and started to take a look at the instructions for the cockpit area. Spread over many stages and downloads I started to make a list of what is where and goes where and then asked the questions why, how and what for????

My first why was the tops of the oxygen and air cylinders fitted after the things were in position. It is much harder fitting tiny parts in limited space where the chance of the things to go PING! into the far depths of the room and have to look and struggle with the parts goblin to get the thing back. It is much easier to build the necessary parts for these outside the frame and then attach the whole painted and completed part. This is what I did. Build them, Prime them, Sprayed the entier lot aotake and then hand painted the cylinders. Thhe picture is the result and these parts, complete with regulator valves etc and ready to be fixed into position.

The internal rear frames were the next to be done with a visit to the painting table and then, in the case of one frame, a cylinder attached.
Why? It's easier now while the things are not fixed into the frame and one less struggle!

Frame with cylinder attached.

Other frames.

I then turned my attention to the Firewall and Gun magazine. THe firewall was easy to put together following the intructions, but I asked myself, why put the gun mount and magazine cover on when the thing is in position inside the frames. It doesn't make it easy to get in there and line up. I then spent a while test fitting and made the decision to put the cover on before mounting it in the frame. I also realised that the fuel tank was put into place when the firewall is in place too.

I have realised that it is easier to mount the fuel tank to the firewall BEFORE putting the firewall into place and then adding the completed gun mount. Then it is easier to work backwards through the pilots area. The aft section behind the double bulkhead can be done first.

Here are pictures of the completed and painted firewall (no fuel or oil tank as yet) and the Machine gun breeches and magazine/mount complete and ready to be installed.

snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Experten » Sat May 04, 2013 3:31 pm

Lookin' good, Snaps! Have a "K", for your second shot at it.
Mark
The crazy Yank
Current builds: Altalya Citroen 2CV, Fabbri-Centauria LaFerrari, DeAgostini Shelby Mustang, DeAgostini Jaguar, Hachette Lancaster, (and one or two others)
Experten
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby farrabass » Sat May 04, 2013 8:35 pm

Have a "K" for a fantastic build.
That metallic blue colour really pops!!! The detail on the engine has come out fantastically well it looks like its ready to splutter into action at a moments notice.
Great build diary!
All the best, Steve.. :clap:
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby steve131 » Sat May 04, 2013 9:51 pm

K from me as well. Great work. :clap:
Last edited by steve131 on Sun May 05, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Sun May 05, 2013 10:18 am

One thing which I would like to post on before I get down to a marathon spark plug lead fixing session is the distributor ring cables. The ones I am referring to are the big thick rubber cable that you cut into 4 pieces.

I will admit to studying the instructions for the placing of these for a long time. It was only when I had them fixed into place that I realised that I had done something wrong somewhere and it just didn't look right.

A surf around the net looking at photos of original engines (black and white and restored coloured showed me where I had gone wrong. I revisited the instructions and THEN actually realised what they meant.

The cables actually go around the cylinder directly inbetween the two fixing points on the distributor ring.

Let me try and illustrate with my own pictures.

In the above photo the blue circle shows spark plug HT leads in place.
Above that, in the red circle you can see that the black distributor cable goes to the RIGHT of the cylinder directly behind the connection points and around the back of the cylinder.

The above photo shows the left side of the same cylinder with the cable going around the left side and around the back

A photo from the front. You can see that both the cables fix into the distributor ring and then go left and right around the cylinder.

Finally a view from above. This shows that the cables go around the cylinder and out the back in the same place.

Apologies if the photos are not very clear and precise. I just wanted to make sure that you all didn't make the same error as I did.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Tue May 07, 2013 11:22 pm

I hope that my previous post helped builders with the placement and run of the distributor cable for the HT ring.

For the next few posts I am moving on to the wings and will be building and assembling out of sequence. My aim is to try and make the assembly easier. For instance, adding the undercarriage assembly when most of the wing is built is a right pain in the..... so I have decided that it could be easier from the start of the wing build!

The first thing I have put together is the left and right fuel tanks, I am also still working on the ribs, but those won't be added until later.

So we have the following (at the moment) to go into the wing.

3 LED lights
Flap
Aileron
Moveable WIng Tip (1 LED goes into that)
20mm Cannon
Fuel Tank
Undercarriage assembly

I am not sure what else at the moment, so I may leave off the upper parts of the wing, or not fix them in place permanently until much later in the build.

The Fuel Tanks.

Not as easy as it seems. Going through the instructions I marked out where the lower braces were to be fixed and then glued the two halves together. This is not easy as there are no proper fixing points and they have to be joined together 100% correctly or else ribs 4 & 5 won't fit properly.

Now we come to add the lower support braces for the tanks. I worked logically from one end to the other and made sure that each of the braces thick end was at the front of the tank.

When I have finished I let all the glue cure. Both left and right tanks were built in an evening.

All that remains now is to put the tanks through my paint shop with Primer and Aotake paint. Photos to follow of the finished product!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby morrigan » Wed May 08, 2013 4:35 am

Thanks Snaps for clearing up where the distribution leads go. I'll need those pics as they are only gving us photocopied instructions in NZ :angry-banghead:
I've nearly got all the engine bits so I can put it together which will be change from wingribs.
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Wed May 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Morrigan,

If you want the PDF instructions that we download here in the UK, then PM me and I will send you them via Email, or a link etc where you can download them directly

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby baby_astons » Wed May 08, 2013 2:50 pm

james were the tank halves hollow or full cast items?
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby chill » Wed May 08, 2013 7:16 pm

baby_astons wrote:james were the tank halves hollow or full cast items?

I am lead to believe the tanks are hollow .
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby snapdragon » Wed May 08, 2013 11:22 pm

THe tanks are hollow aluminium. I will post some photos tomorrow.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Experten » Thu May 09, 2013 4:33 am

The "header"tanks are cast pewter (?) ((The harder material that DeAg uses)) These are both the internal oil tank on the firewall, and the fuel tank on the engine side of the firewall.
Mark
The crazy Yank
Current builds: Altalya Citroen 2CV, Fabbri-Centauria LaFerrari, DeAgostini Shelby Mustang, DeAgostini Jaguar, Hachette Lancaster, (and one or two others)
Experten
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Thu May 09, 2013 9:34 am

It's probably a zinc alloy of some sort. Cheap, and very brittle. Pewter is much nice to work with, but much more expensive :(
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Zero