Build the mask of Tutankhamun

Any series that don't fit into the other main categories

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:08 am

This is a French partwork from TF1 publishing and among partworks a pretty unique subject.

The first 3 issues are now in my hands and I think that with a bit of attention to detail this will be a stunning looker when built.

Why?

Because it's full size and is complete in 95 issues. the first issue is 1.99 Euros. The second is 4.99 Euros and the rest are 12.99 weekly. Quite expensive for a partwork but the parts I have are top quality and mostly metal, well cast, painted in gleaming gold and detailed.

Each week the parts come with a book. I can't call it a magazine, it is a thin book. the first 3 have the usual subscription leaflets bumf inside the book and the build instructions in issues 2 & 3 are on separate colour sheets. The instructions can also be downloaded from the website in PDY files. There are the first 6 issues on there at the moment. the books that come every week seem to be about the discovery of ancient Egypt, the archeologists etc. it's all in French so don't ask me any more. It's the build I am interested in!

There is nothing to do or build with issue 1. You just get the face.

It starts getting interesting with issue 2.

Before I start putting up the pictures there is a pop up on the website that there is either the wrong screws in issue 2 or none at all. Google translate is a bit confused, but with issue 3 the correct screws are included in a labelled packet that is not with the parts, but with the book. If you are going to get this then be careful with issue 3.

Here's issue 2.

Can't see much? Never mind. Let's take a closer look.

Here's the cobra. If you look at it then you can see that there are part numbers cast into the metal so you can see where they go. These parts will come later in the build.

An eyebrow! these parts seem to be of a rubber/resin type. They do flex.

Eye socket. again made out of the same substance.

Beard insert. We haven't got the beard yet, but this is an insert. it is made of the same material as the eyebrown but a different colour. Initially I wasn't convinced about the colour, but looking on the web it is the correct colour.

Eye - these two parts are plastic. the original was quarts and obsidian.

two screws were hiding under the cobra part in the blister pack

Here's the ones that are the replacements from issue 3. I can't see any difference, but not taking a chance!

The last thing in this set is.... a screwdriver. It's a Philips cross head.

Lets move on to issue 3

we have the top part of the beard

and the back of the beard (I think) - it's plastic!

Another beard insert

A shoulder piece

This part warrants a closer look because the spells from the book of the dead have been picked out in black.

It looks like they need a bit more depth with the black. out with some black acrylic and a fine brush.

However, this one looks like it is a stick on decal of some description. You can see a tear.

You also get t screws. The back of the blister pack was broken and these were in the above part's area and just loose, not in a bag or anything - just rattling around, but I can't find any visible damage to the bit that matters.

to put those in you need this!

That's all right now. I am torn whether to start or not or wait until I have a considerable amount of parts. Issue 4 should be available this week, but we'll see.

Opinions requested for the hieroglyphs. Do I redo them or just leave alone?

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Build the mask of Tutankhamun

Postby steve131 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:55 am

Great news totes welljell . Your going for parade fresh so stickers need to be rectified . , Do you know if it is a faithful build of the original :?: I E were screws invented then . :think: Either way looks a cracker and will enjoy build diary.. 95 issues should be quite short.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby casper » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:28 am

interesting partwork James
I would probably leave the hieroglyphs and see how it looks later in the build, the hieroglyphs on the real mask are chased gold.
Maybe they just wanted to add depth to the chased inscriptions with a light wash. The inscriptions from the book of the dead run over the shoulders and down the back of the mask so if you paint the hieroglyphs on the shoulders you will have to do the back as well.
Don't stick the beard on with quick drying epoxy :mrgreen:
can't wait to see more
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby snapdragon » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:25 am

The beard will be screwed in place! That curator in the Cairo museum was an idiot. He should have and did know better.

What he should have done was report immediately that the beard had dropped off and got the right people in to fix it with the right stuff or a tube of Pauls superglue :) He was demoted or sacked over this and rightly so.

I will hold off redoing the spells for the. Moment until I see what similar parts look like.

There is a case offered with the subscription "worth 250 Euros". I do think that I should look at building a case and installing some LED lights that run off a battery in the base.

Maybe the base should be of ebony wood and polished.

If anyone has ideas on that or can help then by all means pitch in. I think it will look good when done and with it being actual size an impressive display piece.

Outstanding bit of work from the French! :) :o
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:36 am

Looks very nice James. Not sure what I would do about the black. Perhaps run a black wash in the lines ? Whatever you do, it might be worth trying on a part that isn't conspicuous first.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build :D
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:07 am

The dagger that was buried with Tutankhamun has this year been confirmed that its blade was made from a meteorite
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby baby_astons » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:43 pm

...but whatever you do to the mask snaps, be aware of the curse of the mummy :mrgreen:
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby wingnut » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:27 pm

Hello, looks amazing will be following your diary !
Cheers Mike.
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:02 pm

casper wrote:The dagger that was buried with Tutankhamun has this year been confirmed that its blade was made from a meteorite

Here's a new item from the BBC

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36432635
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Misc partworks