Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: DeAgostini 1:250 yamato partwork

Postby tom1992 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:35 pm

:D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheers,
Tom

BIGGEST IS ALWAYS BEST ;)

Built: Tiger Tank, Bismarck, 'O' gauge Canal boats.
Currently building: Lancaster Bomber, DC-3
On the slipway/In boxes: Hood, Yamato, Titanic, Type VII Sub, Hawker Typhoon, Victory, Sovereign! :shock:
tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby denzel » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:27 pm

denzel wrote:Thank you for your order.

You can now sit back, relax, and wait for your delivery, which will be with you within 14 days.

signed up for the Yamato................. :dance: :dance:

Latest............... :think:

Thanks for subscribing to Model Space.

Your first set of components will be despatched shortly, at which time we値l also send you an email to let you know that the relevant set of build instructions are ready for download. All you will need to do is follow the link in the email, enter your user name and password (supplied below) and then click on the instructions you want to download.

So no binder or infomation on the Yamato just " relevant set of build instructions are ready for download. "

:( :cry:
denzel
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby tom1992 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:34 pm

Hi Mate,

with your first set of build instructions you get a prologue of 5 pages with info on the yamato.

as for the binders, i bought my own (lever arch files because they are better) and attached a photo of the yamato to the front, and also made my own dividers :D

Thanks,
tom
Cheers,
Tom

On the slipway/In boxes: Hood, Yamato, Titanic, Type VII Sub, Hawker Typhoon, Victory, Sovereign! :shock:
tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:34 pm

HI,

My next set of Yamato components are on the way :D This Issue (issue 4) we get the stern block assembley, bits of the bridge structure (search lights) we also get some strengthening strakes, and also we get the base for the bridge structure :)
should be a good build,

stand by for build diary,
thanks,

tom
Cheers,
Tom

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby denzel » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:55 pm

tom1992 wrote:HI,

My next set of Yamato components are on the way :D This Issue (issue 4) we get the stern block assembley, bits of the bridge structure (search lights) we also get some strengthening strakes, and also we get the base for the bridge structure :)
should be a good build,

stand by for build diary,
thanks,

tom

My first ones too.....................

We are pleased to confirm that your next set of components will be despatched within 48 hours. You should receive these within 14 days.

Where are they comming from................ :doh: :doh:

Tom,will I need a plank to build mine on............... :think:
denzel
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby tom1992 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:40 am

Hi Mate,

Congratz on subscribing BTW, I assume by "plank" you mean a build board? it would be recomended, I didd'nt use one untill i had the second keel plate to hand and it was'nt too bad. but i would recomend getting ba build board just to be safe! chipboard is probably the best choice as it is very resistant to warps or bowing/hoging, use a nice thick board aswell.
Mine is a 20mm thick melamine vineered chipboard shelf. there is a thread on this forum somewhere dedicated to build boards so you should probably check it out.

Hope this helps,
tom
Cheers,
Tom

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:17 pm

I have now completed the next stage in hull construction. stand by for photo's,

this is all the relevant stern pieces from issue 3 in place, clamped and gluing.

Next you will see the next piece of the hull construction, DeAgostini says you have to soak and steam this piece (piece 4) but if your clever with the clamps like me :roll: you can get away without doing either NOTE: I am deviating from the instructions follow me at risk!!!

Anyway you will see how my clamps are arranged for this piece using the reinforcement lengths running accross the top for an anchor point and with the other side of the clamp resting on the framework, it bends to shape quite nicely. (please see pics)
ImageImage

Here is a close up of the piece in question It needed a slight bend in the stern end at the bottom to allow it to follow the contours of the hull.

Thanks for looking,
tom
Cheers,
Tom

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:46 pm

HI Y'all,

I have now completed the stern framework from issue 3 :) . I have also started constructing the bulbous bow but i seem to have lost the pics for it :( oh well.

Also issue 4 Has now arrived. :dance: Yay :dance:
have a look at the pic for it.

As i said before, we get parts of the bridge base, hull formers, the stern block and bits of the rangefinder on the bridge.

stay tuned,
tom
Cheers,
Tom

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby denzel » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:26 pm

Look what postie delived today................ :dance: :dance:

A quick question Tom,in pack 1 there is something missing.....any idea's what it was :think: :think:
denzel
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby tom1992 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:51 pm

No mate.

Don't worry it was'nt in mine either. nor was it in the instructions provided. I phoned DeAgostini and they said that It was a part to reinforce the bow section but they removed it as they said it was'nt needed. :roll:

cheers mate,
tom
Cheers,
Tom

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:24 pm

Hi Guy's,

I hav'nt been doing much work on the yamato recently what with all the other partworks to do and now this xmas competition aswell. but now i have the next set of components staring me in the face it has sparked me off again.

anyway, I have now finished the bow block and the radar screens see pics.
thesde were a real pig to make so anyone doing this modell beware ther may be alot of :angry-banghead: and :superlglue:

Pic on the bow block and more binoculars to folow.

thanks,
tom
Cheers,
Tom

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi Guy's,

since my last post I have put together the Bow block but not properly shaped it yet (see pic 1+2), the stern block but hav'nt shaped it at all (see pic 3+4) and attached them to the model (see pics 6+7) i have also glued the radar bits to the tower but i hav'nt taken a pic of this yet :oops: I have also put together the base of the bridge assembly (what was supplied with this issue anyway..) (see Pic 8)

bow block

stern block

blocks attached

base of superstructure

That is all for now,
thanks.

tom
Cheers,
Tom

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:57 pm

Hi,

Ive just been down to the print room and got the 1:600 plans on the back cover of the anatomy of the ship Yamato enlarged to 1:250th scale :)
I will be using these plans for reference during my build just for a bit of fun to see how it develops.

The more I look at the parts that are arriving and the instructions they are giving me..... the more I'm thinking that we are not building the Yamato at all!!! It seems we are actually building Yamato's sister ship mushashi!! there are 2 reasons for me thinking this, 1st, it would be more logical to build the Mushashi as there are more pictures and drawings available to reference from (As the Yamato was Japans biggest secret) and also, Given the given the shape of the superstructure base supplied in issue 4 along with veiwing the model alongside the plans, there does'nt seem to be enough room for the 155mm triple guns on either side of the funnel amidships.

What do you guy's think???

tom
Cheers,
Tom

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:29 pm

Hi ya,

After further research I have worked out that we are actually building the Yamato but to the state she was in when she was sunk in 1945. Rather than as she was completed in 1941 with the 155mm triple guns amidships.

thanks,
tom
Cheers,
Tom

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Eric » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:04 am

Hey Tom, how's the Yamato going? No updates for a while....
Building;
HMS Hood
Tiger Tank
RMS Titanic

Built;
Bismarck
Eric
Colonel
Colonel

Postby tom1992 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:29 am

Hi Eric,

Sorry about the lack of updates. I've been very busy lately preparing for jobs and interviews and the such like so very little time ATM for models :( As you can see with the rest of my build diaries :(

I have been absent from building the yamato for so long that I now have 2 months worth of issues stacked waiting to be started on with a third on its way :!:

at the moment I am part the way through the planking, I shall post up some pics soon.
Cheers,
Tom

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:35 pm

Ok Guy's,

Here's an update for you, (denzel try not to drool all over your keyboard :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Here's my attempt at planking this (I must not use naughty words).
I must say that I don't liket the way DeAg are doing this planking! to start with, the planks are way too fat! they are almost 3mm thick almost twice as thick as the bismarks planks :o which makes it much more difficult to bend to shape (even with steaming and burning my fingers off :evil: ) and secondly the instructions are completely wrong about how to apply them to the boat. With the bissy we planked from the center outwards left and right equally on each side and with more happening amidships than bow or stern to begin with. this makes sure the shape doesn't warp. but DeAg aren't doing it like this! they are starting from the bow working astern doing 5 at a time, one side at a time (see pics) :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: SO NOW MY BOAT HAS WARPED IN THE MIDDLE!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: (Its only hogged in the middle by a few mm but it ruined my nice flat hull grrrrrrrr P.S Denzel, If you can help it try to do the planking like the others have done on the bissy unless you really want to follow the instructions.

Anyway, here's some pictures.
The planking from bow to stern

And the progress on the superstructure, there is lots more superstructure to come soon judging by the pile of large metal castings in the box where I store my yamato bits, this is going tho make up the large blocks of superstructure before the intricate details.
P.s the green paint on the rear bis of superstructure is actually liquid filler needed to fill the huge gap between two metal castings.
Cheers,
Tom

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:37 pm

Is the hull single or double planked?
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby tom1992 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:15 pm

Hi Snaps,

I'm not sure is the strait answer :think: :think: ........ :!: However I am going to make an educated guess and say single planked! Two reasons to suggest this;
1)You know that "lip" I mentioned between the edge of the frames and the keel plates? well the layer of planks being attached to it is the same thickness as this "lip" squaring the flat bottom off nicely. 2) The second reason is that the thickness of the planks also matches the width of the Bow and Stern blocks and unless DeAg suggest trying to shape thin planks round the blocks (which will be nigh impossible to achieve to a good finish) the likelyhood is not.

If I were DeAg, I would have slightly widened the bow and stern blocks enough to fit another layer of planks in and round off the bottom before attaching them! it would look so much better but hey ho we shall wait and see me thinks... :think: :think:
Cheers,
Tom

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:35 pm

Ok, then if it is single planked then it's not an Amati designed kit, it is probably artesnia latina stuff.

I do know that most decent ship producers usually design their kits as double planked hulls. THis means that the hull is rigid and firm and allows the builder to get the correct hull shape and fix any bulges, dents etc and make good any problems with filler etc before second planking to finalise the hull. THis also gives extra wood for final sanding and for modern warship build that flat smooth welded finish.

Single planked hulls I hate. You have to be spot on and right first time or it will look a mess even when filling and sanding. The hull isn't as rigid and you need to be a master carpenter to get decent results! Besides, too much sanding and you will sand away the planking!!!!

For what Deag are charging I would have expected the Yamato in Bismarck form with the same level of detail and 1/200 scale. Maybe Amati is working on that. They have the Roma out in Italy!

Give me a double planked hull every time!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to DeAgostini Yamato