Margarita Manor 1/12 scale

Here's a little section of anybody who manages to find a really odd ball model that doesn't fit into any of the other catergories.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby royjess » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:44 pm

This may not be of interest for many. This is not my project, but it's something that I'm helping Jess with. It's still a working progress.

Back in Christmas 2010, I got Jess a large Dolls house. Currently the Dolls house sits in the lounge covered in a net curtain to prevent the parrots from chewing it. The flash on the camera makes the net curtain looks very transparent, but reality is that you can't really see it under the net curtain.

ImageSAM_6609 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

So I'm currently building a display cabinet to protect it against the parrots. So far I've cut all the wood and routed out the joints and where the glazing will go.

ImageSAM_6590 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

Some of the panels have been glued and clamped together and I'm waiting for the glue to set before I do the rest.

ImageSAM_6592 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

ImageSAM_6591 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

I'm keeping my fingers cross that I've got all the measurements correct and that it all fits together nicely :pray:

Jess has also asked me to start this thread as she would love to show you around her working progress dolls house and she will take some pics of the interior and post them on here at a later date.

To be continued....
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Re: Margarita Manor

Postby Jesscheekylee » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:16 pm

Thanks Roy. This is my dolls house and is named in loving memory of my Nanny Margarita. We both were going to do a dolls house years ago but when she got diagnosed with Alzheimer's we never got to do it. Roy bought me this dolls house after she passed away and now it is name after her. We will put a plaque on after the case is finished.
I will try and get some photos of the inside too
I have recently bought a beautiful four poster bed. I will also post some
photos of my new furniture I recently bought.
I am planning on putting coving in and also tiling the basement too. Roy will need to help me with that job lol.

I can't wait to share this with you all.

Jess
Jesscheekylee
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby casper » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:49 pm

Hi Jess and Roy :) excellent looking Dolls house, very much looking forward to your diary.
I have always fancied building my own but never got around to it, I have a small one of a thatch cottage that i painted for my Granddaughter and she gets it out each visit.
As you may well know the Dolls House Emporium is a great place to start and they do a fantastic catalogue.
Casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby wingnut2 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:11 pm

Hi Jess and Roy, what a splendid dolls house, Like Mark I have always wanted to have bash at building one as the attention to detail would be a challenge I would relish, so I'm "well jell" (whatever that means) I'm guessing it's about 5 ft tall ? :mrgreen: I'm firing up the popcorn machine with great interest.
Mike, ;)
When the tuff get going follow them........
wingnut2
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby royjess » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:41 pm

casper wrote:Hi Jess and Roy :) excellent looking Dolls house, very much looking forward to your diary.
I have always fancied building my own but never got around to it, I have a small one of a thatch cottage that i painted for my Granddaughter and she gets it out each visit.
As you may well know the Dolls House Emporium is a great place to start and they do a fantastic catalogue.
Casp

Thanks Casp, as you can see it's a pink Dolls house too, Jess' favourite colour. Yes we have heard of the Dolls House Emporium too

wingnut2 wrote:Hi Jess and Roy, what a splendid dolls house, Like Mark I have always wanted to have bash at building one as the attention to detail would be a challenge I would relish, so I'm "well jell" (whatever that means) I'm guessing it's about 5 ft tall ? :mrgreen: I'm firing up the popcorn machine with great interest.
Mike, ;)

Thanks Mike, the Dolls house is around 3.5ft tall but the roof stands about 4.6ft off the floor as we have it standing on a table.

Today I finished the rest of the frames and fixed some quick release catches on them. The display case is too big to go through the doors, so I designed it to come apart, this is not only for it to fit through the doors, but will allow us to remove a side for access, as the basement you open up on both sides and the remainder of the house opens up at the front.

ImageSAM_6610 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

My next job will be to remove the catches again before staining the wood.

To be continued....

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby casper » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:35 am

nice work Roy :clap: looks the business mate. Jess you have a fantastic house, have you been collecting furniture, four poster bed will look great.
My Dad built my sister one back in the 70's and couldn't get it out of the house :laughing-rolling: it looked like the Simpsons house :D complete with garage.
Not had a catalogue from the Emporium for a while :think: are they still doing one Jess
casp
casper
General
General

Postby wingnut2 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:22 pm

:o Flipping heck Roy that's some display case mate ! great work :clap: :clap: :clap:
;)
wingnut2
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby steve131 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:26 pm

Nice house , today we car booted number two daughters pink doll house for the grand sum of three pounds :angry-banghead: :o :lol: .
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby royjess » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:46 am

Thanks for all your kind comments, Jess will read and reply soon.

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Jesscheekylee » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:45 pm

casper wrote:nice work Roy :clap: looks the business mate. Jess you have a fantastic house, have you been collecting furniture, four poster bed will look great.
My Dad built my sister one back in the 70's and couldn't get it out of the house :laughing-rolling: it looked like the Simpsons house :D complete with garage.
Not had a catalogue from the Emporium for a while :think: are they still doing one Jess
casp

:laughing-rolling: I love the simpsons, that is so cool.
Thank you, Roy has done a great cabinet for it. I won't take the credit for that one. I would love a Thatch cottage dolls house, I can see why your Granddaughter gets it out every visit.
I have a lot of furniture inside and most rooms are done furniture wise. I will get some photos for you. I also just bought a miniature dolls house for the dolls house lol. It is so cool. Also bought some parrots and hopefully make parrot stands for them to go in the lounge. I am doing a Victorian style, I wanted Georgian furniture and accessories but there is very limited items so I thought being Victorian they will still have Georgian furniture in. I get best of both that way. I also have a working grandfather clock, I would have to say that is one of my favourite accessories. I was thinking tapestry on the walls, or do you think I'm asking for a bit too much.
Yeah the Emporium still has a catalogue, most of my accessories and furniture are Emporium. I now have to hunt down some real tiles.
Jesscheekylee
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby Jesscheekylee » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:49 pm

wingnut2 wrote:Hi Jess and Roy, what a splendid dolls house, Like Mark I have always wanted to have bash at building one as the attention to detail would be a challenge I would relish, so I'm "well jell" (whatever that means) I'm guessing it's about 5 ft tall ? :mrgreen: I'm firing up the popcorn machine with great interest.
Mike, ;)

Thanks :laughing-rolling: It means Jealous. My house is not much smaller than me. Roy will do all the tricky work for me so I will sit back and have popcorn whilst my lovely house develops too :laughing-rolling:
Jesscheekylee
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby Jesscheekylee » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:52 pm

steve131 wrote:Nice house , today we car booted number two daughters pink doll house for the grand sum of three pounds :angry-banghead: :o :lol: .

Thank you, three pounds :shock: that person got themselves a bargain.
Jesscheekylee
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby wingnut2 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:19 pm

Hi Jess and Roy, you also have a "working grandfather clock" flipping heck it's battery must be smaller than the one in my pace maker :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: ;)
wingnut2
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby steve131 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:45 pm

Jesscheekylee wrote:
steve131 wrote:Nice house , today we car booted number two daughters pink doll house for the grand sum of three pounds :angry-banghead: :o :lol: .

Thank you, three pounds :shock: that person got themselves a bargain.

:lol: You would think so but most people wanted a complete set of furniture in a £ 100 doll's house as well , car booters you gotta love em :lol: .
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Margarita Manor 1/12 scale

Postby royjess » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:13 pm

I've just added the scale to the title which is 1/12

The display case has been varnish and put up. I not happy with it. I didn't plan for the front of the house to open out and the front frame seems to get in the way, but this will be an easy fix. The main thing is that the cabinet sits right in the way of the route of Jess' hoist. So I'm looking at modifying the case so the sides taper up from the front which will then no longer be in the way.

ImageSAM_6704 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

To be continued...

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby casper » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:00 am

Cabinet looks great Roy, shame you have to do a small alteration but I'm sure it won't be a problem for you.
looking forward to seeing the finished piece :)
I may get my Granddaughter's little house out later and touch it up ready for her next visit on Friday :D Its very small but perfect for a three year old. I can post a pic or two if you would like to see it Jess
casper
General
General

Postby royjess » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:22 am

Yes please do post a pic or two, I'm sure Jess will love to have a look. Jess also likes the idea of getting a castle dolls house.

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby casper » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:41 pm

Hi Roy and Jess :)
Couple of quick photos of the little cottage. We found this at a local village fair last summer and paid £5.00 for it. I needs a little touch up around the bushes and flowers and the grass but apart from that its in great shape. It may have been part of a train diorama because three corners are rounded of and one 90 degree's :think: it's definitely scratch built by someone and is made of like modelling board, paper mâché and the roof and wall look to be plaster. It's just over a foot high.
casp

casper
General
General

Postby royjess » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:44 am

That's a lovely cottage, £5 is a bargain and I'll have to show Jess the photos later

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby steve131 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:26 pm

Hello Casper is that a Lego BB8 in background , is it any good did you enjoy it ? Bought one for daughter Sorry for thread jack Roy.
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Miscellaneous Models