Stuart Models Beam Engine

Here's a little section of anybody who manages to find a really odd ball model that doesn't fit into any of the other catergories.

Re: Stuart Models Beam Engine

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby casper » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:57 pm

I like the low heat Sterling engines, they look cool and some are reasonably priced.
It takes a lifetime to assemble a machine shop and learn how to use all the tooling so at my age I think I would stick to the smaller hobbyist lathes just for fun.
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:51 am

I do like the low heat Stirling engines too. I do have one in the UK in storage somewhere. I'll be able to dig it out later in the year when I get back :D

I also have a kit of a thermo-acoustic engine on order and soon to be delivered. However, that is a kit that needs machining, so I won't be able to start that until I get my workshop set up again. The thermo-acoustic engines look like a Stirling engine, but there is no displacer cylinder.

Here's a video on how they work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErlvMZI0tlA

This is the kit that I've bought. https://www.bengs-modellbau.de/en/mater ... ling-rufus
It looks simple enough to build, so hopefully won't take too long.

Anyway, back to the Beam Engine, I've painted the base and cylinder now, and started to polish up the parts that are staying a natural metal colour.

ImageUntitled by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Morris » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:54 am

:text-bravo:
Morris
Hachette Spitfire Mk1a holding on issue 71
DeAgonstini Ford GT40 pack 13(still doing 29-Design upgrades)
Agora Models AC Cobra pack 6
Iron Man part-work, issues 15-18
1/32 Top Gun movie F-14A
Morris
Major
Major

Postby casper » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:08 pm

Nice to see painted and you did a great job cleaning the parts
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:29 am

Thanks guys. The clean-up was easier than I expected. I just used washing up liquid and a toothbrush, and it got all the oil off a treat.
Then sprayed with a Zero Paints metal primer followed by Tamiya rattle can black.

The column and beam have had the mould lines filed and are ready for cleaning. I have the flywheel to do, but I'm not looking forward to filing all the mould lines, and there are a lot on the flywheel! That may wait until I'm back in the UK where I have better files! I only have needle files here!

The valve riser links and the parallel motion links are stamped out, as I mentioned on the video. I tried filing the edges smooth, and one took me ages! There are 10 to do in all, and I hate filing, so plan B. When I get back to my workshop I will turn new links, and make them a round profile rather than flat. This will look much better, and probably won't take much more time than it would to files these smooth. It will be an interesting turning exercise. The only critical dimension is the hole centres all need to be identical. Other than that, it's turning a taper between centres. That also given me a nice excuse to build an offset tail stock centre.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous Models