Arthur's Bentley

Arthur's Bentley

Sponsor

Sponsor

Arthur's Bentley

Postby pocherman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:16 pm

Here are some pictures to whet your appetite of my Bentley. Fabric covered tub, scratch built wheels, dampers, straps headlamps fully hinged hood opening doors, functioning bug screens, full leather interior, brass front axle king pins, headlamp brackets, petrol tank. hand inserted rivets etc. etc, I will be happy to give more details if anyone would like them. The model is all bolted together (much like a Pocher) which enables me to keep adding detail and is unfinished but was sufficient for "kerbside" exhibition at Brighton Modelworld Feb. 2013. The reason I built this is because I had seen so many "glue bombs" of this model that I thought it could make a nice model with a bit of effort. I did not realise just how many hours would be needed to get this far.

Hope you like it.

Pocherman

pocherman
Private
Private

Re: Arthur's Bentley

Postby baby_astons » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:45 pm

really a great rebuild of the kit pocherman, nice touch you can take her apart to add more and more details!!
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby casper » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:55 pm

Your Bentley looks great pocherman, love the rear lights and brake cable and the bonnet straps look really great.
did you say you did a hinged hood, would love to see more of the engine.
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Paul » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:08 pm

Many thanks for sharing the photos :D :D :D

I am also really glad that there are so many really professional build diaries on the Bentley part of the forum, so that the like of my self can pick up so many tips :)
Just :) to Cause a Landslide - Some :superlglue: will be included .....

Shelby Mustang GT-500
Pocher Lamborghini Aventador Roadster
Paul
General
General

Postby Sparbucks » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:11 pm

Mr Pocherman - I really like the finishing details on your Bentley - very well done. The brass details are beautiful. Could you tell us how you fabricated the adjustable front suspension units. They look superb :clap:

Again, well done,

Peter
Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby pocherman » Sun May 26, 2013 11:02 am

pocherman
Private
Private

Postby pocherman » Sun May 26, 2013 11:04 am

pocherman
Private
Private

Postby pocherman » Sun May 26, 2013 11:07 am

pocherman
Private
Private

Postby pocherman » Sun May 26, 2013 12:10 pm

Here are a few more pics. of my Bentley during construction and as finished apart from engine detailing and the attachment points for the (yet to be made) tonneau cover/mirror.. Dampers leaves are all cut from brass as a blanks and then bolted together and filed to final shape. Same for the actual damper disc. but this is cut from black styrene. Outer disc. (red/white) is made from white styrene masked up and painted, outer damper adjuster is cut from thin aluminium Castellated plastic nut is retained but conceals the nut which holds the whole thing together.. All parts are individually painted before assembly. All suspension leaves are hung on brass spring hangers and bolted to the chassis. Wheels are all single brass spokes on purpose built styrene hubs, original outer rims are retained but drilled to size of spoke adjuster and spokes passed trough these to the hub, a very simple jig is required to centralise the hub and retain the dish of the spokes. I found the last wheel I built to be the best, just glad this model had only five wheels as cut brass spokes puncture the skin very easily. !!!!! Having built lots of Pocher models some of the construction methods have rubbed off on this model..

Bug screens are commercially obtained mesh and frames either brass or cut from alluminium and polished. These screens are active. I replace plastic with metal wherever possible as I am not a fan of plastic painted to look like metal. Standard dash has been retained at present as I found scratch building one of these did not turn out very well. I have however detailed it and it does fool the eye as does the shift cover and a thing which I have heard called the hammer sitting by the drivers seat. Front seats can be removed as the sequence to of assembly where the tub and whole floor can also be removed and to permit the steering column attached to the steering wheel to also be fitted second to last needed thought as I found it impossible to get the tub over the seats when they are permanent fixtures to the floor. The seats have a 2mm diam. rod protruding from their base and this fits over a 2mm tube fixed to floor thus front seats go in last. (Easy solution to a problem I thought). The steering column is built like a telescope from a series of brass tube as this also enables assembly. All wheel knock offs unscrew, rear axle is drilled and threaded, front axle is brass and steel and fitted with king pins and parts epoxied to the front axle cross member. This was done as the original wheel fittings is very flimsy as is the fitting for the front lights and you can see how I overcame this with brass brackets. Exhaust is partially scratch built from brass and a modified centre expansion box, all of this is also bolted together as I dislike glued together items. Wings (fenders) are all hung on purpose built brass brackets and bolted to the wing, these brackets fit into brass tubes fitted in the chassis and an can also be removed easily. All rivets to wings and bonnet are applied by hand

Leather interior is fine ladies glove leather, a whole skin is not expensive and the thinnest parts are on the outer edge of the skin. Finally just before my recent exhibition with this model I had to scratch build the spare wheel bottom support in brass as the plastic item is very flimsy and broke, especially with a removable spare wheel. Almost forgot bonnet clips also made from brass as are brake levers.

Hope you all enjoy, I am happy to go into more detail of parts if anyone is at all interested and hope not too much text for you all this time.

Pocherman.
pocherman
Private
Private

Postby Sparbucks » Sun May 26, 2013 3:21 pm

Thanks for sharing Mr P.

Oh dear, I feel scratch built suspension units coming on! :angry-banghead:

Peter
Ongoing builds: Heller Super Constellation conversion, unfinished Airfix Bentley and unfinished Revel Ar196

Recently Acquired Stash: AMT 1/16 Shelby Cobra, Tamiya 1/20 Honda F-1 RA272, Minicraft 1/16 1955 300SL Gull Wing Mercedes plus much, much more!
Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby steve131 » Sun May 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Great work k :clap:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby darren111969 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:16 pm

what a stunning model , very nice :clap: