HMS Sovereign of the seas (Steves)

Re: HMS Sovereign of the seas (Steves)

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby farrabass » Fri May 22, 2015 11:20 am

Time for another update, I have constructed all the gun port lids in one hit!!
As I now have all the remaining issues to hand I am now able to put my grubby little mits on whichever part of the build takes my fancy. I have deviated from the magazine guide for constructing the lids very slightly, instead I have gone for a production line approach and retrieved all the components I need from the various issues.
ImageImage
ImageImage
As the sequence of photos show, I painted the pre-cut liners with red ochre and when they were thoroughly dry were glued to a pair of veneer strips with enough of a gap to allow a razor saw to separate the parts and then all they need is a quick rub with some sand paper. Far quicker and a more consistent finish than doing them individually? Yet again I was caught out with the "brass" parts!! :angry-banghead: the small eyes blacken almost instantly but the hinges wont have anything to do with the blackening fluid I have, I would presume that the hinge frets are lacquered or something along those lines or my fluid isn't suitable for these parts? I did check through the magazine for some tips about how to get them to turn black but found nothing contrary to what I've done with mine? In the end the black paint was employed along with a small brush and were finished that way, not the best finish but acceptable :shifty:

ImageImage
All the lids were touched up with red where required and ten were painted black, a small piece of thread has been tied to each eye as described in the build instructions and all are now safely stored away in a bowl until needed.

ImageImage
Some decorative supports were prepared and glued in place, I thought these turned out rather well? the little profile forming tool provided with the build some time ago works really well :clap: full marks for Deagostini for including such a useful item with the collection. The strip of beech provided for the job fits perfectly within the jaws/shape of the tool and makes a really well define shape to the strip, I remember some-one using a similar idea on this site somewhere? but used a Stanley blade I think?? I will be having a go at the mast sections soon, as I have left them to one side as that is a job that needs plenty of elbow space to get that sand paper moving to reduce all that material from the dowels :o
Back soon with a little more, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby farrabass » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:26 am

It has taken me a while to save up enough photos for a worthwhile update and even so I was wondering whether or not to add this as an edit?. Eventually I have decided to add this just as another post although it is quite boring :oops: , just a few photos of some completed elements of the build just constructed as the magazine suggests!
ImageImage
Just a few painted cast parts added to the hull sides and a couple of pumps glued to the deck.
ImageImage
All the tops have been assembled in a similar fashion and painted and stained as the magazine directs, I have also included a photo of a magazine page showing the suggested example of a doorway leading from the main deck? a picture of how the hand rail should be assembled is also on show from the same page. These two bits will be personalised and have my own interpretation built instead.
ImageImage
ImageImage
A sequence of four photos showing my version of a door and the one suggested in the magazine. I cant see mine being any more accurate than the one suggested in the magazine but to my eye it looks a little more in keeping with all the gold coloured ornamentation that goes around the rest of the ship?. I will build my own version of the hand rail whilst assembling the rigging for all the cannons I've been assembling.
ImageImage
All the mast sections have been cut and tapered and just await a touch of stain and some more finishing items and then I'll be ready for the spars, nearly on the finishing straight now?
Cheers, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:33 am

Just caught up with this thread Steve. I generally regard spars as the half way stage, rather than the finishing straight :laughing-rolling:
Anyway, she is coming on very nicely :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby seppl » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:03 pm

how can I see the photo`s of the S.O.S ?
Cor
seppl
Cadet

Postby number1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:24 pm

Hi seppl, unfortunately photobucket no longer allows links to other sites unless you pay a ransom, Steve (farrabass) is the only one who can update his photos, as he has'nt posted on here for awhile I think the pictures are "lost"
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Previous

Return to Build Diaries