HMS Sovereign of the seas (Steves)

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby farrabass » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:49 pm

I am doing something now that I have frowned upon in the past.
And that is to start a build diary without starting the build :angry-banghead: . It is just that this seems as though it's going to be a very popular subscription and I want to get my build in before all the popular names are taken. I refer to the build as HMS but I am unsure if the abreviation applies for a ship of this period, I am under an impression that warships of this period were referred to in the complete names, ie. His Majestys' Ship etc.
I am sure that someone out there has a more comprehensive knowlege than I do and I am quite sure someone will furbish us with a definitve answer! :clap:
So there we have it, I have parts 1,2,3 and parts 4+5 are due for delivery I have just bought my supply of balsa to do some infilling and I have it on good authority that all the ribs and keel parts will have been supplied by issue 9.
So that will take me to some time in November to start a build diary in earnest, I am really looking forward to starting this and sharing what I know with everyone here. I am quite sure that other builders are going to share their build tips as well!! :think:
All the best, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Re: HMS Sovereign of the seas (Steves)

Postby Julian » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:49 am

For other ships of the same name, see Sovereign of the Seas, HMS Royal Sovereign, and HMS Sovereign.

Sovereign of the Seas was a 17th century warship of the English Navy. She was ordered as a 90-gun first-rate ship of the line of the English Royal Navy,[1][4] but at launch was armed with 102 bronze guns at the insistence of the king.[4] She was later renamed Sovereign, and then Royal Sovereign. [4] The ship was launched on 13 October 1637 and served from 1638 until 1697, when a fire burned the ship to the waterline at Chatham.

courtesy of wikipedia
If it's Not Broke, Take it apart and make it better

Timmy Mallet

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Julian
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby farrabass » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:29 am

Firstly thanks to Julian for the synopsis of the vessel! :clap:
The imput is very much appreciated. Now back to business, I am almost ready to start a build diary for real!!, parts 6,7,8 and 9 should be within my sweaty grasp within the next few days :dance: .
A build diary will then begin in earnest, I have made a purchase of some balsa to do a bit of infiling. Unlike some other builders I will not be filling in the length of the build with balsa (too expensive) as there is very little advantage to do so!, its all just extra work and cost. I am even contemplating not using a buidlboard/drydock for this build, more to come later, but I can say it may involve LEGO :o
The cannon and anchors will be stored to do later in the build as my personal choice is to approach the construction and painting of these items as batch articles to be done in concentrated sessions. Another subject for discussion is the likelihood of BAMBOO being a planking medium? :laughing-rolling:

I have never come across bamboo being used in period ship build before. maybe someone else has a thought on this subject? :?:
Any words of wisdom that can be offered at this stage will be greatly appreciated, in my next post I may have some photos to offer for critisism!!
Best wishes to all that are going to have a go at this build, Steve.. :D
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:45 pm

Ah, you can't go far wrong with Lego. Brilliant stuff for making squares and clamping brackets, etc.

Where did you hear about bamboo as a planking material ? Is that what they are supplying for the SOTS ?
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby farrabass » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:12 pm

Where did you hear about bamboo as a planking material ? Is that what they are supplying for the SOTS ?

I read it somewhere on Modelspace! I can't remember under which thread it was, but it also included a link to the Italian Deagostini site and showed an example with the bamboo as the first planking! I would imagine that sanding bamboo to shape will be a bit of a challenge? it may be alright if a second veneer is going to cover the bamboo, plenty of filler will hide any marks that are left after shaping and cutting etc'.
It may well be that the UK version doesn't use bamboo! it all depends on how much the company are willing to spend and still make a profit!!!
I was fully expecting my next four parts to arrive this morning, but, no sign. Maybe Monday, as soon as they arrive I will be making a start, in the meantime I think its time to find that bucket of lego I've been hoarding! :angry-banghead:
Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:34 am

I found it the thread on the MS forum (Search function works well). Seems it was supplied in Italy and wasn't very popular. I've seen bamboo planks, and they bend nicely. No idea how well they will sand or take nails though. I think I would prefer lime, but it's academic as I'm not building the TOTS.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby farrabass » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:09 pm

A start has been made on the build, as is shown in the photo, lego bricks have ben employed to get straight corners.
A 4mm strip of wood left over from the Victory build keeps the central slot clear.
Again lego has come in usefull acting as bracers while the glue dries.
The gaps had some balsa fitted and was then sanded back to shape.

ImageImage
ImageImage
The ribs were glued together and the lego had its use yet again helping to hold things in place together with the use of spring clamps.

All the prepared ribs are held flat with the aid of a pair of sash clamps and one of the reinforcing peices meant for the keel.
I was hoping to have more to show but, issues 6,7,8+9 failed to show up today, maybe tomorrow?
Back soon with some more, Steve.. :shifty:
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby farrabass » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:11 pm

Having eventually received issues 6,7,8 and 9 I have added a little more to the build!
All but the last rib have been prepared and clamped together to keep them flat, the last rib will be assembled when it is required. The launch will be tackled sometime after I have all the parts, and will probably be assembled whilst planking the hull, just to give me a break from planking.
I have followed the magazine suggestion and prepared a pair of anchor points for a stand, 4mm fittings are not the easiest to get hold of. I have bought a 4mm fittings pack consisting of three 25mm bolts and three nuts, at this stage the nuts were the critical component, I have two and half years now to find a length of threaded rod that will be long enough to cut to size for the job..
As the above photo shows I am just adding small balsa fillers as I add each rib, I cannot see any advantage in filling the entire lower hull with balsa. My main reason for adding the fillers is to help with planking when that job reaches close to the keel, when planking the Victory a recommendation was made to use fillers very late in the planking of the hull so I am jumping the gun and adding the fillers now!
Trusty Lego blocks keep everything nice and square.
The last two photos show the sequence of how I am adding the ribs, a rib is added and then the previous block is sanded to shape, the next filler block then gets added and left to dry ready to add the next rib in the next session. I spirit level is clamped to the unribbed section of keel to keep it straight and is moved along at each stage another rib is glued in place!
Back soon with some more, Steve.. :whistle:
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:21 pm

Good work on the frame Steve. The balsa infils will make it easier to plank round the bow.

M4 studding is easy to obtain from engineering supplied. A quick Google will give you loads of results. Here's just that I picked at random.

http://www.graphskill.co.uk/prestashop/ ... 09857.html
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby baby_astons » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:46 pm

...and the next DIY store should have the threaded bars as well... nice fillers!!
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:28 am

baby_astons wrote:...and the next DIY store should have the threaded bars as well... nice fillers!!

Probably not in a UK DIY store :( Austrian ones must serve you better than ours do :(
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SirMeliot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:36 pm

Certainly not in B&Q I Looked&Looked.

Deag will likely release a stand like this one for the Victory
SirMeliot
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:27 pm

That stand doesn't seem too outlandishly priced, surprisingly enough !
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby farrabass » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:45 pm

Mark wrote:That stand doesn't seem too outlandishly priced, surprisingly enough !

Thanks for the recommendations re, the 4mm rod. I have found various online retailers that supply lengths of rod and fittings, not too expensive! The draw back is postage charges.
I will hold on for the meantime and make an order when I need more than just the rod. I agree with your comment about the Victory stand, I placed an order early October and the payment was taken 23-10 but as yet still no sign. Deagostini postal policy must be the slowest I have ever had to use!! most companies dispach the items within 24-48 hours and dont take the payment until the item has been sent?
Steve.. :superlglue:
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:09 pm

Snail mail ?? :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby farrabass » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:21 pm

Back with a few more photos of my progress. I have decided against a buildboard and have opted to use dowel rods instead!
This is my fourth wooden ship build and having used a buildboard for the Victory I new exactly what to look for and have learned from other peoples builds.
More balsa has been used around the keel and the whole frame is now quite rigid with just a little spring left in the rib tops, that should help when I come to fix the false deck.
The build stand from the Victory has had a slight modification and will now be used for this build until a better one is made.
The balsa has all been shaped and sanded and I still have the last rib to add, the long wait now starts for issues 10,11,12 and 13!!!
The new Victory stand has finally arrived............................................ :dance:
All the best, Steve :angelic-sunshine:
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby farrabass » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:51 pm

I am going to attempt to light up the gallery and lanterns with this build, I dont know how yet I will make it up as I go along.
To start with I have threaded three wires through the underside and along through the ribs to the gallery area, my initial thought is to use a 1.5v battery pack and some LEDs.
Steve..

I am also considering moving the bowsprit to an off-centre position! more to come on that when I've considered any possible ramifications :superlglue:
I can already see one minor stumbling block and that would be the modification of any cast ornamentation that occupies the altered area. But using a mold and recasting in resin should be enough!!
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby farrabass » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:26 pm

I have decided to move the bowsprit from its central position to a more realistic off-centre position!
A new hole has been made using a chisel and sand paper and the use of a 4mm and 5mm drill bit.
The angle of the bowsprit will be kept as intended with the use of a balsa wedge.
A small section of dowel fills the original hole.
The yaw of the temporary bowsprit will be arranged once I have the next set of issues that contain the beak.
All in all quite an easy alteration to make, would be even easier to do without the balsa infils. There may have to be some modifications made to any cast ornametation that this alteration interferes with! but that shouldn't be too difficult.
Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:50 pm

Looking good Steve. Where did you find the reference to an off centred bow sprit ? I had a quick search and couldn't find anything, other than period sketches that seem to suggest that the bow sprit is central. However, they are open to interpretation, either by the artist or the viewer.

Have you seen this incomplete build diary on Model Ship World ? The builder is a genius.

http://modelshipworld.com/phpBB2/viewto ... c&&start=0
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby farrabass » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:01 am

Mark wrote:Looking good Steve. Where did you find the reference to an off centred bowsprit ? I had a quick search and couldn't find anything, other than period sketches that seem to suggest that the bow sprit is central. However, they are open to interpretation, either by the artist or the viewer.

Have you seen this incomplete build diary on Model Ship World ? The builder is a genius.

http://modelshipworld.com/phpBB2/viewto ... c&&start=0

Someone from a different forum provided me with a deck plan and some literature on the design and ornamentation plus other features. With regard to the off-set bowsprit my first wooden boat kit was of the San Fransisco II which also has an off-set bowsprit, various kits, paintings, drawings and etchings of ships from this era seem to show the majority with the off-set arrangement as the fore mast was positioned in such a pronounced advanced postition.
I have changed the position of mine as it is just personal preference! its easy to do and it makes the build more individual. No reason why the bowsprit cant stay central or off-set to the other side? Some concerns have been raised about the depth of the last rib as well, but that is something to be considered in a few weeks time when I have recieved my next set of issues and can have a good read through what I've got and compare what can be done (if anything) to make a more authentic looking model.
The diary of the genius on Model ship world is just way out of my league, totaly fabulous!!!
Thanks for the comment aways nice to have someone take an interest and asking questions, its how most of us learn something new. This is my fourth build and I have learned so much and picked up so many tips and tricks over the last three and a half years as I now feel comfortable making my own changes and sharing them with others as I have shared from others.
Best wishes, Steve.. :angelic-sunshine:

This is the deck plan that i am using for reference.

farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Next

Return to Build Diaries