HMS Sovereign of the seas (Steves)

Re: HMS Sovereign of the seas (Steves)

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby farrabass » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:37 pm

Firstly a great big WOO HOO............................ I reached the 100 reply mark!!! and what's more is that I have the honour of posting the reply!!!! :o
So bring on the dancing girls and penguins and a green cocktail for all!! :clap:
All the "K"s were very much appreciated and good to know that so many are taking an interest in my build. :clap: :clap: :clap:
The comment from Experten (Mark the yank) was especially humbling, what a kind comment to receive that my build inspired someone else to do the same kit. Glad you like the rails Tom, it doesn't take much to improve on what's given with the kit. I only wished I had thought of doing the modification when I laid the rails down in the first place, but then again if I wasn't so far ahead someone else may have thought of doing it first and then I could have copied it!! :shifty:
The mounted figure has had a bit of green stuff added to make-up the bit that fell off.
ImageImage
Some more of the gold coloured battening has been added as well as the repair to the mounted figure. The green stuff is taking quite a while to fully cure, it is usually fully cured after 24 hours at room temperature but for some reason it was still soft, so that will be left for a few days or even weeks before I sand it to shape.

ImageImage
ImageImage
In the meantime, the rail and the set of windows have been made and some more of the castings are painted ready to attach to the hull.

ImageImage
Loads more bits of gold battening have been added to the hull, a little tidy-up needs to be done here and there where the black finish has got marked.

ImageImage
The cleats have been placed as per the magazine instructions and that's it for this update. The South West Model and Hobby show is on at the weekend, so I'll have a mooch round there on Saturday, never know I may find a needful kit to add to my tiny stash?........... :think:
Cheers, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby tom1992 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:45 pm

Absolutely stunning Steve! Great work on the gold leaf and the battening! Inspirational well done mate! You've earned many 'K's it's such a shame that I can only give one! :(
Seeing the great job you've done on your Sovereign has inspired me to get cracking on with mine when I've finished my Bissy! Put the Hood to one side for now! :D
Brilliant work once again! Keep it up,
Cheers,
Tom.

BIGGEST IS ALWAYS BEST ;)

Built: Tiger Tank, Bismarck, 'O' gauge Canal boats.
Currently building: Lancaster Bomber, DC-3, 00 gauge model railway, Wasa
tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby farrabass » Sat May 03, 2014 3:56 pm

Your very kind Tom!! and thanks for the "K", I look forward to seeing more of your build and of course if there's anything I can help you with please feel free to ask I will be more than happy to try and help.
Cheers, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby farrabass » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:06 pm

I've managed to tear myself away from the Heinkel and add a little more to the SOTS, I say add but, at the moment I am taking quite a lot away, photos to follow lower down this post!!!?
First the few parts that I had been building away from the main build have now been glued in place.
ImageImage
The bitts and pin rails have been constructed and coloured, although the magazine instructions were followed quite closely the pins will NOT fit into the holes as directed (there too wide) even with the holes being widened the pins would not fit in with a "coat of paint on" so they were cleaned up and painted once they were pushed tight into the holes!! I may come to regret this move later in the build?

ImageImage
The completed bitts and pin rails ready to attach to the build have had a cut off pin inserted into the upright parts, this will help with adhesion to the deck.

ImageImage
The bitts looked very plain and out of keeping with rest of the model so a simple grove applied cheers them up no end :lol: And the pin rails have been glued in position.

ImageImage
There are the deck pin rails and bitts now in place, next comes the removal part!! I was just not happy with the look of the gold battens on the hull, SO some of them had to come off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ImageImage
I am removing and replacing the battening section by section. It will be replaced by slightly smaller "T" section mouldings and some decorative pillars around the gunports to match the pillars on the gallery. So first job was to do the removing and then give the area a good sanding and repaint all the areas black again.

ImageImage
The pillars have been made 14mm high and were glued in place after the lower strip was glued in place but before the upper one went on? So much easier than having to mark the 14mm above the first strip and THEN place the pillars? There is still quite a lot of removing and replacing to do this side and then it all has to be repeated on the other side, so I may be a while before I post another update on this build :violin: .
Yet again there has been an error with the parts provided and this comes back to issue 62, the side gallery lanterns were included in this issue and I painted and stored them around the time I picked them up from the newsagent. I didn't inspect the contents too closely but merely did a quick content count. When I came to test fit the lanterns to see how the "T" strip would interact I then discovered I had three of one part and only one of the other :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: .
A back issue has been ordered this morning (another £5.99 out of pocket) for the sake of one wretched cast part :( . Plus a nice long wait for the postman to arrive. Always nice to have a moan at the end of an update.
Best wishes, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby farrabass » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:59 am

Back with another moan!!! After redoing both sides of the build and replacing all the previously applied little sticks I have finally managed to add a little more bling to the stern. Remarkably the back order that I needed arrived within a week!! that is the fastest response I have had from Deagostini :clap: "Is that a sign of improvement!" :o
But surprise, surprise when I checked my next issue containing all the little sea-horses I counted everything out and painted them up ready to glue to the hull and guess what????? I have one left facing figure short and a spare right facing one! I am just wondering if I will get the one I need in the next issue? Now here are a few more photos of my progress.
ImageImage
ImageImage
My photographic skills are quite dire and the ship looks much better than the photos infer!! well to me it does :laughing-rolling: I took the opportunity to adjust the distances between some of the lengths of strip, My measuring must have been off somewhere along the line but all now looks a little better and neater.

ImageImage
A bit more bling has been glued in place on the stern, beginning to look very busy there now and there are still a few more cast figures to add and of course the giant cast lantern but, they'll be kept aside for as long as possible. With so much to add and to keep moving the build around the chances of knocking bits off will be very high. Whilst looking through the magazine to see what's coming up I came across this instruction guiding the builder on where to place some cleats! there is obviously some error with the distances and so I thought I would take a quick look at the official build on Modelspace!! Alas there is no difference, it is shown just the same as the magazine in fact all the "official" build is, is just pages from the magazine :laughing-rolling: . What's Official about that? I have a granddaughter of 6 that could do that!! quite disappointing really, a little guidance when needed would be helpful but then again why be helpful when there's no need I don't suppose the pay packet shows an increase for advice offered? Still there are lots of better places to find some advice around on the internet.

ImageImage
Using just the picture as a guide I have glued the cleats in place! now that I posted a picture from the magazine does that make me an "Official Builder" :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: its so easy, I don't see the reason for an official build if there isn't a build to show for it :laughing-rolling: , still it gives me a gentle titter now and then :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

ImageImage
Just a couple of photos of some more cleats glued in place! and just to make sure nobody gets confused "THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL BUILD" but just a geezer with a hobby and a camera :roll:
Cheers, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby tom1992 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:35 pm

Hi Steve,
Great work mate! Have a well deserved 'K'! Shame about the missing seahorse! :angry-banghead: I wish they'd sort themselves out! :x
Keep up the good work!
Just as a side, I'm not sure that you're allowed to post pics of the magazine on the internet... :think: I think it breaks the copyright laws and may get Mark in trouble :naughty: ...May be worth checking with him!?
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby farrabass » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:20 am

Thanks for the "K" Tom, I hope you're still hard at your build. Have you had the same litany of problems with your issues? It's not so much the fact that so many parts are wrong it's the ball-ache getting replacements and that absolutely crazy 28 day mantra they chant at you if you manage to be able to talk to a person when calling with a problem. The missing seahorse didn't appear in the next issue, I just went ahead and cast myself a few spares as well as a few extra lions heads to stick to the edge of the anchor cranes when I get round to doing them. So since last time quite a lot has been done but the following photos wont seem to show it, so here is this update!!!
ImageImage
ImageImage
That's both sides up to date so far, all the wooden square section has been replaced with "T" and "U" section as required. The small lanterns are in place and no matter what I did I couldn't get the leading one to fit on top of the moulded strip, it has had to be cut around to let the lantern fit. I don't know at which point my measuring went astray as both sides are near mirror images, so my measuring must be accurately wrong on both accounts?!? :roll:

ImageImage
ImageImage
A few more cast parts have been glued to the lower gallery sides and I'm surprised (but happy) to report I got what was said to be within the issue :clap: a rare occurrence with my parts.

ImageImage
ImageImage
The chain wales are now beginning to take shape, I gave up trying to get the brass coloured chain to go black in the blackening fluid and reverted to painting them, they turned out quite well really.
That's it again for a while I have my Heinkel to do a bit more to and then there is the large box of Typhoon to have a go at as well.
Cheers all, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby farrabass » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:46 am

I am posting a few more photos of my progress. its been over a month since I last updated but now that I have two other projects on the go time is of a premium!! I am following on from last time by drilling the holes for the half cannon, to do this the simplest method I could think of was a stick with a hole in it :roll:. Hopefully all the holes will be central or they will all be off-centre :laughing-rolling: it's one or the other, can't be much simpler than that!!!

ImageImage
And there we have the device in action.

ImageImage
ImageImage
The cannons have had their peg attached before painting and stuck into one of my many carefully considered build jigs :oops: , the curved pin-rail has had a couple of pins inserted to help keep it in place. The pin rail now resides in its resting place.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Some more detail has been added to the beak, mainly some finials and two rows of eyes. The magazine/Official build show some wooden stock and parrel beads made up into some very poor looking efforts!! :laughing-rolling: , a tiny bit of thought and I used a bit of small dowel and the smaller beads left over from Victory.
ImageImage
The photo on the left shows the build guide of how to make a finial :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: ............Back to the Typhoon now for a while! or should I finish off the Heinkel? or maybe a bit more time can be spent on this :o .
All the best, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby farrabass » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:33 pm

First of all, a big thank you to all the members that voted this diary as the best build diary for the competition :oops: :oops: I have received my prize, and a very nice prize it is. I will post all the details and a build diary in a while in the relevant section of the site. In the meantime a tiny bit more can be posted.
ImageImage
The two anchor cranes have been prepared just as the magazine directs, with the addition of a cut-off pin for extra fixing power and I have also bevelled the mating edge just to allow a little more glue to contact both surfaces.

ImageImage
As a little embellishment I have added a small lions head motif to the end of each crane. WOW!!! that first photo must be the best one I've posted so far :clap: I must have had a moment of supreme clarity when focusing for that one, I would even award myself a "K" for that if I could :dance:

ImageImage
ImageImage
The chains have been fixed to the hull just as the magazine directs but, it took a couple of attempts as I failed to reverse the sequence for one side and couldn't quite fathom out why one side looked different than the other? I got there in the end, just needs a spot of black paint here and there.

ImageImage
A few more cast bits of bling have been glued in place and that's it for this update. 260916410
Cheers everyone, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby tom1992 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:54 am

Wow!! Looks absolutely stunning Steve!! Big well done from me! Can't wait to get stuck into mine again after my Bissy! Doing a cracking job! Look forward to more progress! :)
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby farrabass » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:34 pm

Back with a tiny bit more..
Not a lot to add just a sequence of photos showing some cast parts being painted, the parts have been arriving at just a few each issue and haven't been worth looking at until now. I have used masking tape to hold the little blighters down whilst they receive a coat of black primer.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
During the course of a few painting sessions I ended up with a colourful array of cast parts to glue to the hull, I will probably apply all of one side before moving on to the other side. The etch brass rings that are meant to go on the inside of the hull will be replaced with some soft plastic ones' when I get round to casting some, a fret is supplied but I would prefer to use my own thinner versions and to cast enough to line ALL the round gunports?
That's it for today I am off to do some casting and to start the tedious task of manufacturing lots of gunport lids :angry-banghead:
Cheers, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby philjaps1 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:03 pm

Well its seems like years since the last time I looked in at your build Steve, she's come on a treat mate a credit to your skill..........

All the best...... phil
philjaps1
Private
Private

Postby farrabass » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:40 pm

philjaps1 wrote:Well its seems like years since the last time I looked in at your build Steve, she's come on a treat mate a credit to your skill..........

All the best...... phil

A nice surprise to hear from you! this build is causing a few minor delays at the moment...............................
A lot of the castings are just a tiny bit too big!!! or should I rephrase that as the gap for the castings are a tiny bit too small to accept them? I may have measured wrong somewhere along the line but the amount I am short in all places is virtually identical in each location! So at least my inaccurate measuring was consistent :angry-banghead:
There are two larger castings of a conjoined CS that are supposed to fit directly beneath the mizzen chain wale? there is no way I will be able to get those into position, I have reread through the magazine procedures and measured all the gaps and as far as I can tell there should be enough room for the part to fit..............
Indeed there would be enough room if the chain wale was 2mm higher or more but, because it is set below the wale strip I have lost those critical 2mm, it wouldn't work if the part was set above it either as that would reduce the space for the castings in the higher places!!! on my build the only place that this configuration would work was if the chain wale was set into the wale strip or fixed onto the outer edge. Then again getting the CS into position would still be an ordeal as the chains are fixed into their final places before the parts are ever mentioned :angry-banghead:
I shall continue saving up the parts for a while and leave it alone until I can get a clearer picture of what else may be wrong with my build, it just goes to show how easy it is to let your measurements go wrong. Maybe this build can be put on hold until the beginning of next year? I have plenty of other things to keep me busy and I may be able to look at some-one else's build and see how to get mine to look better. I remember from the Victory build that there was a tiny upset getting one of the deck cannons to fit and I was under the illusion that my measurements had gone wrong only to find that the kit itself hadn't allowed enough space? Considering how many opinions are around on what this ship actually looked like I may just omit these parts or swap the location of another suitable casting when something turns up that looks suitable.
All the best, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby RedRoo » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:29 pm

Simply put........................Just stunning and the patience of a saint to do a project such as this Farrabase. :D I really admire a modeller who can persevere and succeed as you have here, and your attention to detail is inspirational.

A HUGE K for your wonderful work mate.

Red Roo :-)
RedRoo
Captain
Captain

Postby farrabass » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:43 pm

Thanks for the glowing endorsement RedRoo you're far to kind with the praise! I have decided to post an update just to keep everything tidy at my end, I didn't intend to bother adding more to this diary until next year but, as I have been clearing my area of a few things a few more bits got added/painted to this build so here are sequence of photos of my labours!!
ImageImage
I made my own gun port embellishments rather than using the quite thick brass ones' provided with the magazine, the reasons being brass is so much harder to cut than soft plastic and I now have enough to surround all the gun ports!!
With my castings being that much thinner than the provided brass parts I only need to cut a few as most can be attached without the need for a cut as they will slide behind the various obstructions.
ImageImage
All the gun ports are now a match and just need a touch up here and there, they look a lot better in the flesh than as a photograph :clap:
ImageImage
ImageImage
The final four photos just show the figure head/frieze completed and ready to attach to the prow of the ship, that of course will be left off until much later just in case it gets knocked. I included the photo of the stained fret just to make up a block of four photos for neatness sake (How sad :shhh: )
That's it for a while now, got a couple of small plastic kits to get through for the competition. Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby tom1992 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:56 pm

Lovely work with the gold leaf Steve! Big K for that one! And nice staining of the fret for the fighting tops! I saw the fret myself and thought that looks garish! :? Will use your inspiration if I may! ;)
Keep up the good work mate! Seasons greetings!
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Captain johnno » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:47 am

I'm at issue 50 and passed the horror of bamboo planking (never again). A tip to anyone who cares.... Build a stash of the gold decorations before you start to attach them. There is absolutely NO tolerance.
Captain johnno
Cadet

Postby farrabass » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:00 pm

Good to see another builder on the site!
You're absolutely right about the cast decorations, I have had my build on hold for quite a while now as I am collecting ALL the remaining issues before adding any more to this build!! I know I'm not the best boat builder on the net but after finishing the Victory collection and learning a few tricks I was under the impression that this build would be a bit easier?
I look around at other sites and its quite noticeable how close-up shots of the castings are rare.
I intend to make a few of my own castings from resin and adjust those to fit when I cant get the metal one's to fit. I got the old girl down off the shelf last night and gave it a good dusting, it's amazing how the deck attracts so much dust, I should be back at this kit in the next few weeks as I only have 3/4 more issues to collect.
Will you be posting a build diary? as you can see it's not the most popular of builds :think:
Thanks for the comment about the castings at least it's not just me that has found problems fitting them in :oops: , All the best, Steve.. :shifty:
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby farrabass » Tue May 12, 2015 10:21 am

Well after quite a long break and many plastic kits later the Sovereign is back for a few additions!!
I have lots of painted castings to add over the next few updates and all the masts and spars to put together, I now have all the remaining issues at hand so will probably stick with this build for a while although I still have one or two 1:72 kits to add to my Luftwaffe collection!
Getting back into this build after such a long break was far harder than I imagined it being, firstly I have to back track where I stored everything. As there are so many part built sections to this build and most of them being quite fragile it's not just a case of putting everything into a box and hiding it in a cupboard or drawer! I had most things in small boxes stored wherever I could find a space and now that I need something I have to search through each box as I didn't really mark what was/is in each box :angry-banghead: :laughing-rolling:
I'll start with the extra painted castings I've added since last time.
ImageImage
ImageImage
I have added the brass etch flourishes now that I have both sides to do rather than one side at a time and I made up the fourth photo with a photo of the remaining magazines just to keep the picture count even!!
ImageImage
I'll leave it at that for this update, I am going to construct ALL the gun-port lids next as I have all the parts available, I may as well suffer my brain damage doing them all once rather than suffer multiple attacks doing a few at a time?
Cheers, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby number1 » Tue May 12, 2015 10:13 pm

She looks a treat steve, K for restarting!
number1
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Build Diaries