HMS Sovereign of the seas (Steves)

Re: HMS Sovereign of the seas (Steves)

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby farrabass » Sun May 19, 2013 10:25 pm

A belated thank you to Eric for the "K", looking back at the first planking that was quite easy in comparison to marking out the gun ports!!
Another belated thank you for the comment for Mark and just for you I have included a photo of the material provided for the second skin (veneer).
I have laid the wooden strips on a piece of black paper to try and show some contrast? the darker strips are sapelle (mahogany) and the lighter strips are lime wood. The mahogany has a nice rich colour once it has had a coat of varnish, thicker strips of this wood came with the San Fransisco kit that I made some time ago, my first foray into wooden ship building.
This side of the hull has been marked ready for cutting, I have adjusted the position of two gun ports on the lowest level. I just didn't like the look of them as the instructions directed! not much difference just moved one 10mm and the next one 5mm. To me it just looks a little neater and doesn't affect anything else.
I have included a close up of the two ports that will be moved, I will probably cut the ports before trimming the tops of the hull planking. I just feel safer cutting out all the squares before setting about the top edge which will become rather flimsy once the cutting starts. Before all that though the other side will need to be marked out the same as this one.
In the meantime I have attached the etched brass decoration to the sides of the launch, again I have deviated ever so slightly from the magazine build and place the decoration near the top of the hull, three or four good coats of gloss varnish have been painted over the brass to stop it from tarnishing (hopefully).
Hopefully the next update will show the hull with all the gun ports cut.
Steve.. :)
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby farrabass » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:26 pm

Carrying on from the last time I have completed the cutting of the gun ports.
Using a 1.5mm drill bit the out line was roughly followed trying to keep the holes within the marked outlines!! A small saw blade then cut through the holes to remove the centre and then a combination of small files finished the job. I have included a sequence of pictures to better explain the sequence better than words can................................................................................................................................................................................
A selection of files square off the cut ready to fit the test jig?
As can be seen the test jig is just a simple affair of a small piece of cut wood 13mm x12mm attached to a small off-cut of dowel as a handle, this is then used to check the size of the hole as I go along.
I ended up with something looking like the above.
Just for continuities sake I have included a photo of the other side as well.
The first of the mahogany veneer strakes have been added.
The lower gun deck ports will be cut before adding more strakes to the next gun deck level.
Steve.. :D
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby farrabass » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:43 am

I have been busy applying the darkwood veneer recently, this is how far I have got with it.
The same sequence was followed for the next step of veneering as the first, enough strakes were laid to cover a gun deck level and then the gun ports were cut.
During the veneering process I picked up further issues which included more parts for the gallery. I altered the building sequence slightly from the magazine instructions and attached the gallery parts before they were asked for, I used my usual method of glue and pins (belt and braces) and kept everything in place with clamps until the glue had dried. The parts were also assembled in a very slightly different sequence to that recommended but the outcome is exactly as shown in the magazine.
That is the port side complete.
The last of the gallery parts was added before I started the other side of the hull.
Steve.. :)
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Eric » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:51 pm

That's great work Steve!

I really like the square template for the gun ports, great idea. :clap:

Your planking looks excellent, keep up the good work.

K.
Building;
HMS Hood
Tiger Tank
RMS Titanic

Built;
Bismarck
Eric
Colonel
Colonel

Postby COENIE » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:22 pm

Great planking Steve. :clap:
I started here ... viewtopic.php?f=57&t=228#p1377
and is now finish with ... viewtopic.php?f=48&t=339
COENIE
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby farrabass » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:38 pm

Thank you for the positive comments Eric, Coenie. Always nice to read a comment!
For this update I am including a few photos of the finish of the dark wood veneer, not that much to report just the same as I did for the other side.
just a few extra photos of the run of the strakes.
I included the above photo to show how I reinforced the upper most planks with 2mmx2mm square stock. That helps to keep the very top more secure as I tend to handle the boat more than is advisable?
Now that the top part is finished for the moment the bottom half can be veneered in the lighter wood.
I was considering planking the lower half properly using droppers and stealers etc' but opted for the magazine way as I will be painting the hull with an ivory coloured rattle can, so therefore very little of the cuts will be noticeable. I have bought a can of spray paint from Halfords, its Ford Ivory and is a very very close match to the Caldercraft paint pot "light ivory"
That's it for this update I will post another update after all the lower hull has been veneered.
Steve.. :superlglue:
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Eric » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:09 pm

Nice tight planking, no visible gaps. Great work! :clap:

Planking K earned!
Building;
HMS Hood
Tiger Tank
RMS Titanic

Built;
Bismarck
Eric
Colonel
Colonel

Postby farrabass » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:02 pm

Thanks for your continued interest and encouragement Eric! much appreciated.
I am posting a few more photos of the completion of the light wood veneer.

That completes one side the other side is a near mirror image of this one?

It's only now after finishing the veneer that I know I should have done it properly using droppers and stealers etc'.
I think it would have looked quite good with just a coat of silk varnish to enhance the natural colour as it is so close to ivory as it is???

Just to finish off this update a photo of the side of the hull with the black paint added to the upper hull. The beak and associated keel parts will be added and painted next, and then its time to add the altered beak grating!! Looking forward to the next few weeks of construction as all this veneering became a little repetitive :violin:
Thanks for looking in and all "K"s greatly received......................... :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :o
Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby COENIE » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:26 pm

Well done Steve. Certainly worth another K. :clap: :clap:
I started here ... viewtopic.php?f=57&t=228#p1377
and is now finish with ... viewtopic.php?f=48&t=339
COENIE
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby farrabass » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:42 am

Thanks for the "K" Coenie, appreciated!!!

I just thought I would share my thoughts on how I have altered the bowsprit grating. I have used the provided pre-cut ply parts and cut and jumbled them around to end up with below :o I hope this answers your query Jim??
The extra bits that were used where reclaimed from the fret that came with the plywood parts, this became necessary as I have opted to use the Caldercraft gratings packs and the 1mm hole sets are only available as 33mm square sets. Its a lot simpler to do than it first seems (must be if I will attempt it) its just a matter of getting as much use out of the new gratings pack as possible.
With regard to the long slot that now sits to the right side of centre, I have opted to keep my options open and have kept the slot more or less parallel to where it would have been had it been left central, the allowance I have left myself is to leave the slot at 12mm to allow the bowsprit when it is placed to be adjusted by up to 2mm to try and make sure the parts are in line with the keel??
In my opinion the provided gratings packs are too big, the poor sailors could be lost forever if they stepped on those do or die squares!!! who knows where he would end up. the bilge, the brigg, the HEADS or even the old briney!! Maybe that could be in the next three word game? where could a sailor end up with a lost footing?
Just to finish off this impromptu update, I am posting a photo of the fret parts before I added my own little additions, just a few cuts from the issue parts left me with what can be seen below.
In the meantime a rattle can is be shaken ready to spray the hull, all the best, Steve.. :superlglue:
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby farrabass » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:59 am

The beak grating has been put away until needed and some more has been done to the hull. All the keel parts have been glued into position.
The hull has been given a couple of coats of ivory paint and a red stripe has been added per instructions?
That red is far to bright for me!!! :o
Here is my second option, I used "red gore" a citadel colour that I use for my fantasy figures that I paint now and again.
The next step is to add some gun port linings, I didn't take enough notice of the instructions and misinterpreted which wood pieces to use :angry-banghead:
I started off by using the 1.5mm x 5mm birch lengths, but found that they looked too thick!! Eventually I stripped those out and used some of my own 1mm x5mm walnut strip, an expensive waste really :angry-banghead:
A small detail has been added to the transom, just a small strip of beech finished with a coat of black paint!
Below is a photo just showing the position of the lower wales in relation to the beak, this is were the Italian site comes into its own, the magazine instructions can be quite ambiguous at times and the official build diary is no help at all for certain things!! So being able to see a few steps ahead clears up quite a few of those issues. I have been looking at how the middle deck fits and is planked and after looking at the magazine instructions and the official build over on Modelspace I have seen another part of the build that can be approached differently and in a better order!!
A few more gun port linings have been added to the next level.
The gallery sides were attached next.
When I came to use the side skins I decided to change the brass provided for some that I had in my small mods box, nothing radical the brass just has round holes instead of the square ones with the kit :?
The bit of ply for the beak deck was altered to accommodate the adjusted position of the bowsprit.
The previous two photos look a little fuzzy :shock: I cant explain why, but to get the new position I cut out the shape required to fit the bowsprit and then used the cut-out piece to fill the original hole and skimmed the whole lot with a bit of fine filler.
Just to finish off this update a few photos of the parts that fit beneath the gallery, starting with a jumble of lego and clamps holding everything at the right angles until the glue had dried. :superlglue: :superlglue: :superlglue:
And here it is attached and freed from its restraints..
Thank you for looking in and I hope it wasn't too boring :oops: Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:57 pm

Looking very nice Steve. I'm enjoying your build :D
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Darron » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Hi Steve!

You have been busy :superlglue: I see your using the Lego again to help keep thing’s square, their are very useful little blocks aren’t they mate!

As for your camera blur instead of using Macro mode, try moving away from your ship and then use the zoom but not too much take a number of shots and pick the best, that’s what I do. Also you can always use a graphic program to crop the image to only show the part you want to show before resizing it for your posts.

Darron
I might not be able to see what I'm doing, but I have a feeling it's RIGHT!
Darron
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Voytek » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:45 am

Just founded your dairy Steve- excellent work !!! K coming :clap:
Voytek
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby farrabass » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:36 pm

Thanks for the comments chaps!!!
Glad your liking the build Mark, and Darron the lego bricks are an absolute must for getting good straight edges and joins, Voytek, I didn't realise I had hid my build :laughing-rolling: , glad you found it anyway.
Here's where I'm up to at the moment, still quite close to the magazine build with just one or two modifications along the way and the odd section done in a different order to that suggested by the magazine build.
The gallery sides have had the two planks added to the underside and the bow has been faired ready to take the beak gratings. The forward bulkhead has been planked as the magazine instructions direct and the little deck right at the front has had a lick of paint.
I cant add anymore to this update at the moment as the following message is being displayed when I attempt to add some more to it. If Mark is looking in maybe you have an answer to this??
Cheers Steve..
412 Error

Your request got filtered out due to possible security issues.

One or more things in your request were suspicious (defective request header, invalid cookies, bad parameters)

If you think you did nothing wrong:
•try again with a different browser
•avoid any evil characters inside the request url

If you are the owner of the website, you can consider revising the rules of the mod_security module or turning it off from your Web Hosting Control Panel.
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:56 pm

If Mark is looking in on this post, here is a puzzler?
I can post pictures on this thread but not on the SOTS anymore!!!
This is the next photo I want to post but my SOTS thread keeps flashing up the 412 error :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
Steve.. :whistle:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby farrabass » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:28 am

That example that you showed me over on the test area seems to have worked Mark :clap:
The question now however is why has that caused the 412 error to flash up now? I have posted as many as 20 photos in the past without any bother.
I will just carry on from here with what I wanted to include with the last update, if you feel like deleting the previous post feel free but it doesn't really matter now.
That is how the beak grating was altered, I know I've posted those images before but I just wanted to include them again for continuities sake.
The grating has now been glued and pinned to the stem parts.
The plywood sides were attached with the help of a few pins and left to dry before attaching a few more bits.
The cover strips were bent and then glued into place to cover the pins and glued against the bulwark sides, the pegs held the strips in place until the glue had dried.
Black paint has finished off the outside of the plywood parts, the red paint was applied before the parts were glued in place, some small off-cuts of strips squared up the very tip of the beak and were then painted.
The dummy cannon stringers have been glued in place and had small braces glued along the length and the first deck beams have gone in.
I have deviated slightly from the magazine instructions regarding the order of the laying of the deck parts, firstly I removed the edges of the bulkhead frames before attaching the ply deck halves. Next the bulwarks were lined and trimmed and given a light sanding.
A coat of red completes that part of the build and the deck was tackled next.
Again a minor modification, I used the squares left over from the deck ply wood fret and glued them into the gaps were the grates will go, the deck was then planked with Tanganyika strips rather than the wood supplied (personal choice). The planking was done on a three shift system instead of the shown two shift system of the magazine, again just personal preference.
Thanks for the advice Mark as you can see I have taken full advantage of the info and posted a long-winded missive of my recent progress.
Cheers, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:15 pm

Glad you're sorted Steve. SotS is looking great. The three step planking is more authentic than a two step planking.

For interest, it wold have been a five step stagger on the hull. It's a strength thing.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:01 pm

Great work Steve, she's coming together nicely. :clap:
Building;
HMS Hood
Tiger Tank
RMS Titanic

Built;
Bismarck
Eric
Colonel
Colonel

Postby farrabass » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:29 pm

Again thanks for the comments Mark, Eric.
It makes a nice change from planking the hull! also its such an advantage to be able to see the Italian site and being able to plan ahead for how I want to proceed with my interpretation. The magazine build isn't quite as clear as it could be at times and being able to see how other builders interpret the build really helps.
I have added a little more to the build.
More dummy gun stringers have been added and painted and some upper deck supports have been glued in place.
The pre-cut deck parts seem a little narrow for my build? but that can be hidden with a little bit of wood strip, filler and paint!!
This deck part was quite a bit out??
The bulkheads have been planked and painted and the red has been touched up where needed.
Thanks for looking in, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to Build Diaries