Re: HMS Sovereign of the seas (Steves)

Postby Voytek » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:07 am

Great work on Sovergein Steve + K
Voytek
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby farrabass » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:32 am

Thanks for the "K" Voytek, and I may well be interested in some of those fantastic blocks! would they be delivered from England/UK or would they have to come from Poland?
Here's some more to the build.
I have done away with the provided parts for the grates and made my own up. The grates are Caldercraft 1mmx1mm, and the surround is3mmx3mm walnut strip. As can be seen from the photos I start by gluing the grates onto black paper and then place the walnut surround onto the paper as well. Two slots are cut ready to receive the cross beams.
The cross beams are cut and glued into the already cut slots, nothing too difficult really and to my eye are far more pleasing than the magazine examples. All that remains is for the whole assembly to be trimmed from the paper and sand everything nice and smooth with a slight chamfer running from the middle to the sides.
The finished gratings are ready to glue to the deck, as usual I manage to take a blurry photo somehow? it looked alright when I checked the camera before downloading to photobucket, but I included it in the post as it was the only close up of the finished article I have.
The grids are now in position and I'm ready to star applying the edging strips, but to finish of todays post I have finished the first batch of ten cannon kits complete with reduced size rings and blocks. The trials of rigging them will be that much harder when the time arrives due to the very small blocks I have chosen.
That's it for now, thanks for looking in any comments are most welcome "or criticisms for that matter". Steve.. :superlglue:
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby builder » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:12 pm

A K for the build Steve.
I’m upside down by seeing the pics of the Sovereign of the seas.
Well done.
Building the DKM Bismarck and HMS Hood.
builder
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby COENIE » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:08 pm

Fantastic job Steve. :clap: :clap: K incoming.
I started here ... viewtopic.php?f=57&t=228#p1377
and is now finish with ... viewtopic.php?f=48&t=339
COENIE
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby farrabass » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 pm

Thanks builder and thank you Coenie for the "K".
This time I have added a few bits of walnut strip around the gun ports and included the cannon ball stacks.
The deck parts have had another very light coat of Danish oil to enhance the look of the wood.
Now that the gallery sides have had a coat of black the windows become more prominent! the mesh really pops at the moment.
"Who can spot the deliberate mistake"

I spent quite some time cleaning and preparing the metal parts and finally painting them before I realised I had two identical parts, a quick call to customer services left me with exactly what can be seen here.
"Pack all the items together and return to the newsagent where they were purchased and a replacement will be sorted through them" Yeah, right :laughing-rolling:
How long would that take :? For the sake of one issue I bit the bullet and ordered a replacement via the online shop, I didn't really take much notice of details whilst I submitted the order, it was only when I received my last statement that I saw the charge for the issue was not £5.99 as printed on the front of the magazine cover but £7.99 :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

How can that be right? checking back on the online shop there it was from around issue 26ish the price has been increased by £2 per issue, after having checked again tonight the price has been altered back to £5.99. I wonder how long I will have to wait for a refund :twisted:
Back to the build diary after the little rant, next was to start the planking on the fore deck, just a slight alteration to the printed guide I have gone from a two shift system to a three shift to match what has already been done.
Again a couple of light coats of Danish oil finishes the deck off for the time being.
Cheers, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:32 am

The decking is looking lovely Steve.

Shame about your faulty parts. That's one advantage of a subscription. Usually just one phone call and a replacement part is one the way. Of course, it depends on how good your local news agent as to whether you get the same service from him. Last time I used WHS, they took an absolute age to get a replacement issue. However, I know some people also have trouble with subscriptions. I have always found that a polite phone call or two usually sorts out a problem.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SkyFire » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:40 pm

Build is looking good. Hope to build this ship one day. :)
bItuHpa' BIHeghjaj - (Death before shame). ortaS bIr jablu'DI', reH QaQqu' nay' - Revenge is a dish best served cold. Qapla'!
SkyFire
Major
Major

Postby Darron » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:44 pm

Hi Steve! 8-)

Another 'K' for you mate, I'm glad I can post again and see you good work!

Darron
I might not be able to see what I'm doing, but I have a feeling it's RIGHT!
Darron
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Voytek » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:24 pm

Great build Steve, excelent choise for deck(tanganika) and nice job with gratings. About blocks- they are maded in Poland but shop and suplaier its in UK .adress you have under my post
As ussualy K its on the way.
Voytek
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby farrabass » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:14 pm

Back with a little more!
Thanks for the compliment Mark, I have no doubt that some subscribers will have received a trouble free subscription and others will have had discrepancies sorted at the first attempt. It may be that I am a little unfortunate with the varied problems I have encountered with Deagostini UK? Since my last post I have received the extra issue I bought for £7.99, still no sign of a refund for the £2 :laughing-rolling: . I wont be holding my breath I know from past experience that certain problems/delays can take quite a considerable amount of time to be resolved and I don't fancy being hung out to dry by the MSM (modelspace mafia) over £2. Skyfire , I look forward to your build when you get the urge to start a diary. Thanks for the support Darron I will certainly miss your build, just wondering if the pirate ship build that you started a while ago is still on the bench? I may well be placing a small order for some of those wonderfully crafted rigging blocks Voytek and thanks for the "K".
Just a couple of photos of the last bit of deck that I planked, the trusty citadel paint pot came in handy again at this stage. I still prefer the consistency of this paint range to any other pots of acrylic with maybe the exception of P3 thamar black which really comes out a true flat black, still nothing that a tiny touch of talc cant cure..
The ornamentation for the rear of the ship has been prepared ready for fitting, the bell has been added to its housing and a length of cord added as a bell pull which still needs cutting to size and finishing.
The gallery sides and the rear have had another coat of paint ready for the addition of the moulded parts, I will be adding my parts in a slightly different order than the magazine suggests. Having looked at all the possible places for misalignments to happen I will glue sections together before fixing to the ship? hopefully things will fit together a little easier than placing them on piecemeal! :)
The above photo shows the parts part assembled and ready to glue into place, the three part scroll and grill device (I don't know what its proper name should be) that stretches from one side to the other above the lower baluster work and supports the two uprights that carry the large curved section. That part neede quite a bit of alteration, no matter how I position the parts it didn't want to sit flush on the lower parts, I found that I needed to file away the ver lowest parts of the scrolls and then file a slot either side to fit around the square ends of the upper parts of the lower balusters :? :o :oops:
I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone but me? but maybe in the next update all will become clearer (or even more murky) :angry-banghead:
That's it for today thanks for taking the time to look in, cheers, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby COENIE » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:16 am

Well done Steve :clap: Can't wait to see the parts on the gallery. :drool:
COENIE
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby farrabass » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:50 am

Here I am! Back with a bit more.
I have started in a different place than the magazine suggests, instead of placing the individual cast parts one by one starting at the bottom I have instead opted to place the three part scroll and grid device first.
As can be seen in the photo the small piece of ply provided with the build was utilised to maintain the correct height of the part and to maintain a central alignment for the following parts. A bit of masking tape holds the scroll in place whilst the support is adjusted and temporarily pinned in position.
Some modification was required to get the scroll to sit flush with the top of the lower set of castings, for this I took the easiest option and filed a slot either side of the central scroll to allow the lower parts to push up and form a snug line.
Before the above parts were added they were re-masked and had a light coat of gold paint, some very small areas needed the slightest bit of filler?
The masked areas have been revealed and a bit of a touch up is required to sharpen up the edges of the black areas.

More parts have been added either side, and that nearly finishes all the parts I have available at the moment.
A couple of floor sections have been added and that is more or less it for a while, the side ornamentation will be dealt with next.
Thanks for looking in, all the best, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby COENIE » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:30 pm

Neat work. :clap: :clap: K incoming as soon as possible.
COENIE
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby philjaps1 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi Steve,

Well your build has certainly come on since the last time I saw it!!

It’s looking good mate :D

Phil,
philjaps1
Private
Private

Postby farrabass » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:58 pm

Thanks again Coenie for your continued support! and a warm welcome back to Phill who's not been around for a while. The build has progressed quite a lot since your last comment phill.
Still no luck with the return of the £2 over-charge for the issue I ordered via the online shop :angry-banghead: A total shambles if you ask me (or even if you don't), I have had a few replies directing me to other departments and a suggestion or two that I call, a number!! what is the difficulty? placed the order via the web site why? cant the information that I sent be dealt with via email?? surely someone at the company knows what to do! Or do they :laughing-rolling:
Maybe something will happen after the Chinese New Year celebrations are over :laughing-rolling:
Here's where I am up to at the moment.
The side ornamentation has been started, the official build diary is less than useless (for my purposes) as a guide at this point. It is just pictures taken from the build guide :lol: "what's the point" I really need to see close ups of how the parts interact with each other. Anyway it handy that the build is so far ahead, some builders have nearly added all the deck furniture and their own mods at the moment, with some very good tips on how to build a cooker and windlass!!
For this stage of the build, the magazine instructions will do!!
Only after applying all the parts did I notice a discrepancy with the moulded parts, I ended up being about 1.5mm high on the side gallery in relation to the stern :angry-banghead: . Still nothing too serious that a solution cant be found for!!
This side has been completed in exactly the same fashion as the other side complete with the 1.5mm discrepancy!!! How's that for a double fault :laughing-rolling: It just isn't tennis :shifty:
On go the roof parts and the second photo shows my fix, a small section of brass wire takes up the difference in the shortfall and a quick touch up with gold paint all but obscures the gap!!
Just a few photos showing how everything looks from different angles, I still have the arch and lantern to add at some stage. I can foresee damage if I add them yet, so they will be kept in storage for the time being.
That's it for this update, all the best, Steve.. :superlglue:
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:23 pm

If you hadn't pointed it out, I would never have noticed the discrepancy at all.

Your SOTS looks fantastic. :clap: :clap:

K.
Building;
HMS Hood
Tiger Tank
RMS Titanic

Built;
Bismarck
Eric
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:26 pm

I have to agree with Eric ! She is looking stunning, and the error is virtually invisible.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby farrabass » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:20 pm

Thanks Mark, Eric, I'm happy enough with how the build looks at the moment! just goes to show that you cant really do too much preparation and planning. I have looked at various other examples on show from other forums and it seems to be a common aberration on quite a few builds. The bit of wire has worked a treat on mine so hopefully everything else should fit snuggly, I will hold back fitting the arch and lantern for a while as that part of the stern looks quite vulnerable to being knocked off and damaged and it will be an advantage to see how the extra parts interact with each other before committing them to be glued in place. I have a little update for this week, I have had another go at some of the smaller cannons. As with the larger cannons the rigging blocks have been exchanged for smaller 2mm blocks and have been painted in a similar fashion.
A couple of crew members have been painted at the same time, I'm still not certain whether the figures will be used or not? all depends on what any other figures look like and how many different styles and poses are provided.
I have modified the buckets slightly and opted for a rope finish handle rather than the flat cast part provided, I have merely wrapped a length of.25 rigging thread around the handle of a needle file and applied a coat of PVA solution. When fully dried the thread was teased off the handle and cut into adequate lengths and attached to the buckets.
My buckets have been finished with a water effect instead of the suggested gunpowder effect found in the magazine! it seems strange to me to have open buckets of gunpowder strewn around the gun decks of a wooden battleship? My first thought was to try and simulate sand but decided on water as there would be a limitless amount of the stuff freely available whenever needed. Maybe someone else has a more educated thought on this matter?
That's it for this update, I will have my alteration to the bowsprit areas ready for the next update, quite a bit of modification will be required due to shifting the position of the bowsprit mast.
Thanks everyone for looking in and comments or criticisms are more than welcome. Steve.. :superlglue:
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:52 am

Good thinking with the bucket handles Steve. I think you're right about having open buckets of gunpowder about, on a rolling ship, with a flame of some sort to fire the cannons. I think it most unlikely. I always thought that the gunpowder charges were wrapped in linen or some sort of fabric so they were easy to handle when loading the cannon ?
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby farrabass » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:55 pm

Thank you for the continued interest Mark! as far as I am aware the charges for the cannon where prepared in the powder room and transported to the deck cannon crews by young boys' otherwise known as powder monkeys :o . So yes, the gun powder would have been wrapped in linen or some other similar sort of cheap durable fabric!
Before I leave the update for this post I will just mention that as yet I have still not been reimbursed the £2 overcharge for an item I bought from Deagostinis online shop early in September, I have had one or two emails with various excuses contained within them and the latest one that I received came on the 22 November and has still not been sorted. I can only say that Deagostinis business practices leave a lot to be desired and need improving :angry-banghead: ,
Here is the last communication............Thank you for your email.

Subscriber Number:

Kindly note that your query has been forwarded to the relevant department for the £2.00 that you were over charged.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.

Yours sincerely,

Pinkie Nkosi

Customer Care

Back to the update....
ImageImage
The build has switch tack from the gallery to adding some detail to the bow area. I have prepared the cleats by drilling a small hole and adding a cut-off pin as extra anchorage, the pin also allows the cleats to be pressed into an off-cut of wooden strip allowing easier access for painting the pin will also provide a more secure fixing when added to the build! The door has been started as per the magazine instructions.
ImageImage
With the alteration to the bowsprit position I had to design an alternative for the staircase coming down from the door, I have settled for a simple alternative and made a small platform to direct the stairs at an angle from above the bowsprit, the position of the door has been drawn onto the bulkhead and a simple plinth formed from a small section of strip has been glued in place to support the platform whilst the glue fully dries. The platform itself is just a scrap of thin ply with some 3mm Tanganyika strips added, quite simple altogether.
ImageImage
The door and platform are in place and a frame has been added to the door, it just neatens the appearance.
ImageImage
The casting were painted and assembled before adding to the model.
ImageImage
The holes for the forward cannon have been drilled.
ImageImage
The cleats have been glued in place and a small handrail finishes the door area :D
Cheers, Steve.. :shifty:
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to Build Diaries