Rapair or replace, That is the question

DeAgostinis 1/2 scale Samurai Armour. Available from DeAgs on line shop, http://www.model-space.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:41 pm

I have had a little bit of trouble with my Samurai armour.

I will come clean that is was my fault totally and requires replacement parts for the face mask, or to be really frank (Hi Frank [lol]) I have to remake the face mask completley.

After much discussion with Deag Customer services and management in SA I decided that my best bet was to actually purchase another pack 1. Having spent lots of time building up pack one I was, understandingly reluctant to send it back.

As it happens my decision has turned out to be a good one. First of all the pack turned up this morning with my postman (sign here, gov!) and on inspection of the pack with most of the facemask in one of the tassets caught my eye.

Here is the photo

I could get back onto CS and scream at them for sending badly painted scrap metal, but it is not their fault, and although I paid for this set apart from the face mask it is a really just a bunch of spare parts.

I would like to point out, and maybe our illustrous Tomic could make the point that the people up in Jarrow who put these packs together to send out should inspect the packs and reject parts like this and either replace the part before sending out or get another pack that is a good one and put that pack aside for spares should someone need a single part.

(get the spare part that is ok from the reject pack, put it in a small jiffy bag, slap a label on and get it in the post - not hard at all really!)

It seems easier for Deag just to send out complete packs, but really this is a waste of money, time and effort when the customer is just wanting one part.

I suppose that it is easier as the untrained monkeys that obviously do the packing tn Jarrow have absolutly no idea what they are doing and incapable of simple tasks such as looking at a pack and saying "that's rusty and the paint is falling off - no good to customer!"

This needs fixing for both our and deag's sakes!

Now, as this is actually a spare part it will give me the opportunity to try and repaint it. and I will post on here the process of how I do it and is it sucessful.

As I inspect the part under my close up lens I can see that the metal is coearly rusty on both sides (but the paint has stuck on the reverse side, and as there is a sticky pad to go on then this is all hidden.

It is the front that concerns me. there has been no attemps to sand the part or apply a primer. Black paint has been sprayed streight on to hte rusty metal and a clear gloss laquer applied on top.

Something has happened as most of the gloss laquer has crystalized, cracket and flaked off taking some of the black paint which has not stuck to the rust. I have to replace all of this and I will do a post on what I did and photograph it.

Comments and questions welcome.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Rapair or replace, That is the question

Postby chill » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:50 pm

Sorry to be a pain but where as I acknowledge you are a bit annoyed at getting some damaged parts - I think name calling the packing team isnt really all that constructive . I ,and no doubt others , have had times when our parts are a bit damaged but a nice polite call to Customer services provides dividends .

-
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:32 am

look at this from another point of view. If you were in charge of a packing team and quality control, would you actually let that out of the building to a customer?
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:43 am

Or another view point - errors do happen . Yes it is very annoying to get parts damaged and cause grief and delays to the build but a polite call and discussion can remedy things .

Further more seeing as there is an almost identical thread running I am locking this thread as I feel it has run it's course. But if you feel there is more to add then PM me or any if the mid team .

Regards

Loz
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Return to Samurai Armour