Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1 Corsair

Group build of the Tamiya 1/32 Vought F4U-1 Corsair "Birdcage"

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GrantJ » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:24 am

I am just back from the Post Office collecting a nice big parcel containing tamiyas new Corsair!

What a beauty of a kit!

You can keep your other oriental brands when Tamiya is available :laughing-rolling:

So far I have just unpacked the box drooling over all the many parts now trying to decide on the options on wing folds, flaps and color scheme. The one thing I am not fitting is any aftermarket resin or etch parts as I see no need for anything extra ( Morrigan you are excused as I know you want special decals! ) I really am blown away by the surface rivet detail some of which is so fine it can only bee seen under certain bright lights but once given the correct wash will be stunning!

The only thing holding me back from hauling out the glues is the fact that my house is being reprinted inside and I have been banished into the garden so the painters can get finished ( hurry up painters )

One thing is for sure is first thing in the morning the Corsair build diary begins! First up will be some pics :D
So many models, so little time!

Building:
HMS Victory
HMS Hood
Akagi
Bounty (on hold)

Built:
Bismarck
GrantJ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1 Corsair

Postby morrigan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:37 am

:D :D :D :D :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
*grabs popcorn in anticipation of build diary*

Mine and Dads is still in transit. But that's OK, I'm waiting for a seatbelt set from HGW to arrive and the masks for the markings.
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Sparbucks » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:41 am

I'm with Morrigan on this one Grant - keep the pics coming please!

Peter
Ongoing builds: Heller Super Constellation conversion, unfinished Airfix Bentley and unfinished Revel Ar196

Recently Acquired Stash: AMT 1/16 Shelby Cobra, Tamiya 1/20 Honda F-1 RA272, Minicraft 1/16 1955 300SL Gull Wing Mercedes plus much, much more!
Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby GrantJ » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:51 am

Sitting in the garden studying the instructions and think I have picked up a slight error in painting instructions!

For the fus interior in the tail area they call out a paint mix of 5 parts PINK plus 2 parts Matt Clear and 1 part Hull Red!
To my mind that will give it a dark pink interior - I may be wrong but it don't sound correct to me!

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Building:
HMS Victory
HMS Hood
Akagi
Bounty (on hold)

Built:
Bismarck
GrantJ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby morrigan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:04 am

Ahh, that would be the famous Vought Salmon pink primer that featured on early Corsairs!
Vought used Indian Red to tint Zinc Chromate primer, during production of the -1a they l switched to Indian black to give the familiar Zinc Chromate green primer seen on other US aircraft.
The idea behind the tinted Zinc chromate primers, was to make it easy to check that areas that needed two coats of Zinc chromate had received them by using a base coat of regular ZC yellow, then a top coat of tinted ZC.

The Corsair that was fished out of Lake Michigan in the US shows this perfectly after getting the mud and weed washed off:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/message/1303516369/NAS+Pensacola+Update+2

I've already laid in a bottler of Polyscale Zinc Chromate red which is a close enough match for me.
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby GrantJ » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:10 am

Morrigan you are a star not only a Foil Jedi master but a mine of useful information! :D :D :D

Thank you so much for this info I must be honest it's the first time I have seen or heard of it!

I was visualizing myself painting this pink Corsair , posting pics on the forum and being laughed into the idiots corner.

Well with that sorted lets get building and taking some juicy pics - watch this space...........

Building:
HMS Victory
HMS Hood
Akagi
Bounty (on hold)

Built:
Bismarck
GrantJ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby baby_astons » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:24 am

will you build it like the one in the pictures or will it be the standard boring outfit :mrgreen: :laughing-rolling:
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby steve131 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:16 am

That Corsair was two years ago, does anyone know what has since happened to it :?:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby morrigan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:44 pm

steve131 wrote:That Corsair was two years ago, does anyone know what has since happened to it :?:

Its seems to of dropped of the radar since 2011 when it was 3 years away from its completion ETA. Not unusual for a restoration project though.
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:35 am

Better order a catering pack of popcorn :D Very tempted by this kit myself, or a Spitfire or Zero from Tamiya as well.....

Oh, the temptation :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:20 am

There was an interesting article on the Corsair in the 213th July issue of Tamiya model magazine
It shows the expert modelers in Tamiya HQ building it and a selection of photos of the sprues, looks a fantastic kit.
Amazing detail to the radial engine,cockpit and tail-wheel bay.
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby GrantJ » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:19 pm

All right now guys and gals gather round with your popcorn and lets start this build :lol: :lol: :lol:

First off because its quite a large kit I cleared the workbench

then added the next main ingredient being the kit itself

To give you an idea of the number of sprues in this kit here they are unpacked on my work table

Building:
HMS Victory
HMS Hood
Akagi
Bounty (on hold)

Built:
Bismarck
GrantJ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby GrantJ » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:55 pm

After a very thorough study of the manual it seems you have to make some choices at the beginning of the build:
1) Which colour scheme to do as various bits get left off certain versions
2) Wings folded or straight - these are not movable so you need to decide up front
3) Flaps and elevators -up or down - once again these are fixed items

Now that the decision making is over now the fun stuff begins. I like to build sections at a time so to start its the cockpit which is spread over the first 10 pages of the instructions.

The first thing I noticed was that there are two lots of paint mixes to be made up namely cockpit interior green/zinc chromate colour and a rather strange (or so I thought) pinkish colour. Once again thanks to Morrigan for her great clarification and pics of this rather odd colour. The cockpit colour Tamiya calls out for seemed incorrect to me as it is a blue green mix so after a little research decided on a zinc chromate mix of my own. The Salmon pink mix was pretty much as per instructions.

Here are my two mixes even though the camera flash seems to change them quite a bit they look pretty good to me and also bearing in mind the parts will be shaded and washes added so final colour will be different

and to see how they looked out of the bottle I sprayed some into the fuselage interior

Building:
HMS Victory
HMS Hood
Akagi
Bounty (on hold)

Built:
Bismarck
GrantJ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby GrantJ » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:57 pm

Now that all that is out of the way bring on the glue and superglue. I am going to build all the small sub assemblies that make up the cockpit and then airbrush the various pieces in the relevant colours . The first sub assembly was the bulkhead with two photo-etch pieces added - oops and another choice to be made - canopy open or closed as there are different photo -etch parts for both

next up was the seat which is incredibly well detailed and with a photo-etch part as well - here it is shown placed on the bulkhead but not glued

That's it for the night im afraid but next up will be more sub assemblies of bulkheads and instrument panels

Building:
HMS Victory
HMS Hood
Akagi
Bounty (on hold)

Built:
Bismarck
GrantJ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:45 pm

That's a very nice kit enjoy :mrgreen: :clap:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby morrigan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:35 pm

Have a K grant for starting this superkit. Looks dosh garn good to me.
Two arrived in NZ yesterday so I'm waiting for a big box to land on the doorstep.
I think the odd blue/green colour Tamiya have brewed up is their interpretation of the Dull Dark Green colour seen in the cockpit of the recovered Corsair.
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby morrigan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:37 pm

Mark wrote:Better order a catering pack of popcorn :D Very tempted by this kit myself, or a Spitfire or Zero from Tamiya as well.....

Oh, the temptation :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Aww go on. Everyone needs a Tamiya in their life
Then we have enough for a group build :D
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby baby_astons » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:00 pm

hi grant, superb kit -
is there a chance one could make up the moving parts as it seems a waste for me doing such a superb kit and the need of leaving movable parts glued because the design doesn't allow any action -
would seem ok with me if the kit was a 72nd affair, but this big??!
I was annoyed by the osprey I'm doing for my son as the design has all the needed movable parts incorporated but you still need to glue the wings in a fixed position :roll:
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby GrantJ » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:33 pm

Hi BA I suppose if one wanted to make the mods to make movable parts there is enough detail to be able to do it but I am not a lover of moving parts on a model as they normally end up breaking :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I have managed to get a fair amount of work done on this gem of a kit- Tamiya well done on this kit!!!!

first up was to paint all the sub assemblies and give them a wash to bring out the detail

Building:
HMS Victory
HMS Hood
Akagi
Bounty (on hold)

Built:
Bismarck
GrantJ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby GrantJ » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:41 pm

For some reason the moment I post more then three photos at a time I get an error message so will be splitting this build into smaller entries

once all the sub assemblies where dry I tackled the nickel silver photo-etched seat belts which to my mind are this kits only weakness - they are very thick and springy so bending them to shape was a little trying to say the least. Even annealing them helped very little and also they do not seem to like super glue to stick them down in place so ended up using small amounts of epoxy.

With that sorted out the cockpit assemblies where glued together and make up a very impressive little model on its own

Building:
HMS Victory
HMS Hood
Akagi
Bounty (on hold)

Built:
Bismarck
GrantJ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Next