Ho hum........ (Mark's Corsair build) : Finished !!!

Group build of the Tamiya 1/32 Vought F4U-1 Corsair "Birdcage"

Re: Ho hum........ (Mark's Corsair build)

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:41 am

Finally worked up the enthusiasm to finish the plumbing in the wing roots and wheel wells.
Here are the wing roots

The Wheels up undercarriage doors make perfect paint masks :D

Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby morrigan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:24 pm

The Wing roots look good Mark , it defintely a daunting job with a lot of bits to jostle in.
Almost on the home straight now
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:30 pm

Wing root section and engine attached.

Rain stopped play at the moment. It's got so humid that I don't to risk spraying :angry-banghead: Either going to get water coming out of the air brush, or the paint might bloom/take far too long to dry...... Don't want to risk falling at the last fence (well, the last lap anyway !!)
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chill » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:07 pm

Very impressive
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby Mark » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:31 pm

I haven't been idle on the project (but perhaps a little slow :oops: :laughing-rolling: ) so this is where I'm at now.

The fuz and wing roots are all painted now. This was a but of an ordeal. I decided that airbrushing the two colours freehand was probably the easiest way to achieve an even soft line between the two colours. I've never been able to get a very even result using the Bluetac worm method.

The flight grey went on fine - no problems at all. Then the blue. Well, that went on OK, but I ended up with a little overspray on the grey, so that was touched up. Then the blue needed touching up where there was some grey overspray........ However, it all felt a bit rough and there wasn't a perfect match where the blue was touched up, so out with some 4000 grit wet n dry. Eventually it all came fairly good. At least, good enough for me to live with - it's not going to win awards !!

Sanded and looking OK, next up was a coat of gloss varnish ready for a bit of weathering (just a very little !) and the decals. However, this didn't go as smoothly as you'd expect. The varnish spat out of the vent hole in the top of the airbrush and splashed over the bottom of the fuz and the tailplane..... quite a lot came out too.......so annoying.... So, that was left to dry, then shaded smooth......which went through the paint to the plastic.... so out with the light grey and the blue again..... and then out with the varnish...... It came out OK in the end, but what a palaver !! Amazingly, you can't see where the varnish splashed and was repaired :o

So, why did the airbrush spit liberal amounts of clear gloss ? Two reasons ! First, it was decanted from a rattle can. It was left to degas and had been in the bottle for a couple of days. Unlike Coke, it never seems to go completely flat !! Second reason is that I expected to use a lot of varnish, so I filled the airbrush cup right up. I think it fizzed a bit, and came out the little vent hole, all over the model !! Lesson learnt !!

The u/c legs are also made. These are painted light grey all over, so can be fully assembled before painting. That just leave the strut of the hydraulic actuator to touch up with sliver, and a decal to add. They also got a wash with black oil paint, just to bring out the detail.

Here are the legs fitted. They were a really tight fit.

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:45 am

I don't know if anybody is still reading this thread, but on the off chance that they are, here are the undercarriage doors in place.

Decals are next (well, that it after I've sanded out and repainted the glue stain I accidentally got on the tail wheel u/c door :angry-banghead: )
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:59 am

shame about the spit from the brush Mark but you rescued it very well. :clap:
the details in this kit are stunning, especially around the undercarriage. Nice paint work :clap: :clap: :)
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:54 pm

Thanks Casper. The repair to the damaged paintwork actually came out perfectly. You can't see the damage, even if you know where it was. Annoyed at it happening, but pleased that I managed a virtually perfect recovery !!

I was thinking of doing the panel lines, but so much has gone wrong with this build, I don't want to give Mr Cock-up another opportunity to visit !! To be honest, I just want to see it finished now !!
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:31 pm

I've made a start with the decals now. There seem to be thousands of stencils :angry-

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:47 pm

Are you using sol and set for the stencils :?:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:24 pm

Yes. Even though it had a sand with 1500 sanding sponge, wet, and a coat if gloss varnish, it's still got a few lumps and bumps which need sol and set to help it go down properly. I use the blue one all the time as it's supposed to improve adhesion.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:03 am

Way hey !!! Decals done, on the main part of the plane anyway. Still got the wing tips to do.

The stencils are well printed. This is the one for the tyre pressures, sitting on a scalpel blade. It's tiny, but not the smallest !!

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby farrabass » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:33 pm

Very nice build, looks really well detailed with all those rivet marks. That undercarriage looks quite intriguing as well, I may be mistaken but did I see a "screw thread" on one of the struts?
I know I'm not the most active member but I do look at a lot of the builds on here but usually only as a guest as I tend to only log in to leave a comment and if I'm not logged-in by the time I do I've forgotten where I was last time :laughing-rolling: but, today is one of those days where I logged-in first :dance: .
I have a 1:32 (Trumpeter) Dauntless plus Eduard "Big Ed" set to go with it, just waiting for an opportune time to start it. Maybe after the Sovereign is finished I might make that my main build then.
All the best, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:19 pm

Thanks Steve. I think the screw thread you saw was actually a long spring, which I guess is to hold the front uc door closed. I could be mistaken though.......
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby morrigan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:21 am

Nearly there!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

and you are correct, they are springs rather than threaded rods to keep the under cart doors tightly shut when retracted
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:01 pm

After a little break, I've got back to this. The wings are almost completed. Just need a little touching up here and there. The decals didn't go on brilliantly. They are a bit thick and I couldn't get them to go down over the contours properly, even with lots of decal softener. However, I did manage to end up with a few holes in the decals trying to get them to go down. These have been touched up with some paint mixed to match the decal.

I've also mad the Eduard etched engine covers. These were rolled with a steel bar, rolling them on a mouse mat. This gives a very good curve.

Just the wheels to finish and a few odds and ends to finish as well. The wings are going to remain loose at the moment, so the wing support bars will not be fitted yet. I will need to transport it back to the UK sometime, so I want to be able to take the wings off so it fits in a smaller box !!
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:30 pm

Great work ,shame about decals ,some of my Tamiya Tanks were quite thick, don't envy you transportation to UK :o :snooty:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:35 am

Thanks Steve, The decals have touched up quite well. Almost disappeared in fact. Just need to give them a coat of satin varnish and it should be almost invisible.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:16 pm

Wheels !! I used the Barracuda resin wheels, and they are a big improvement over the kit wheels. However, the interior detail really disappears in shadow. I highlighted the contours to help them show up. I started by highlighting them in light blue, but that was still invisible. Plan B was to highlight in silver !! Looks OTT before the wheel outers are added !!

However, once the outers are in place, the silver is only just visible. The photo actually enhances it for some reason. It's much more subtle in the flesh.

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:00 pm

those engine covers look excellent Mark as do the wheels :clap: :)
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

PreviousNext

Return to Tamiya 1/32 Corsair