Adverts

Useful info about the board, and some answers to FAQs

Adverts

Sponsor

Sponsor

Adverts

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:28 pm

Just a quick word about the adverts on this site.

Firstly, why do I have adverts. Quite simply, they help to finance the forum. The forum is very successful, thanks to all the great members we have (I decline taking the credit :oops: ) and it has outgrown the basic 'home user' type hosting packages that are quite cheap. I now have to use professional level hosting which isn't cheap. Hence the adverts.

Secondly, what's adverts do I display ? I use Google adverts, and quite simply, I don't have much choice in what is displayed. The adverts are supposed to be contextual. The Google robots read the forum, and choose adverts based on the subject matter of the forum. Eg. If the forum or web page is about gardening, you should see adverts for lawn mowers, plants, etc. It makes sense to both the advertisers and the readers. Matching adverts to people who are likely to be interested in the product. In a perfect world, we'd see adverts for models, which we would probably like to see. Sadly, it's not a perfect world and Google doesn't always get it right :? We often see adverts for dating sites. I think that they misinterpret the use of the word model :angry-banghead: However, I have registered this site as a family friendly site, so Google should not be placing any adverts that contain explicit images or themes. If anybody sees any adverts that are overtly graphic, please let me know and I will do my best to ensure they don't reappear.

Without adverts, I could not keep the forum running. I don't encourage people to click on the adverts. If you see an advert that interests you and you click on the ad, I get a few pence. If you simply ignore the adverts, the advertiser doesn't get charged. It's a system that works, but sadly isn't perfect.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Adverts

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:30 pm

Just a quick update. Google have just introduced a trial where they claim to significantly reduce the number of adverts shown at the cost of a small reduction in advertising revenue. I have enrolled in the trial, so hopefully you'll see less adverts, and hopefully I'll still get enough revenue to help with the running costs of the forum and web sites.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Rules, announcements & info.