Snaps Airfix 1/24 Typhoon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:37 pm

I am not stealing a march on anyone. I have not got the kit yet, but the metal barrel set for the 4 20mm cannon have arrived So I thought that it was time I prepared and started a log.

The metal barrels are from Master in Poland and should fit the cannons in the kit. Time will tell if they will, but if Airfix have got things right then there should be no problems as they should be the same as the Mossie.

What comes in the packet? some distructions, metal parts, springs and an etched sprue with tiny parts. The photo below shows a 5 pence piece as a reference size!

Each barrel consists of 8 individual parts and are small kits in themselves. The etched parts are tiny but should add to the detail overall and will be very fiddly to build! There could be lots of :angry-banghead: coming up! :laughing-rolling:

This pack cost me £16.50

Regarding the painting, I think that I will be using the xtracrylix paints as I am going mental trying to match to those reference colours. That's another learning curve! Any colours not covered by the main ones for the exterior and green interior will be either Vallejo or possible Alclad II for metal parts.

I am looking forwards to this kit as it not only looks like the best kit this year so far but also the iconic Typhoon kit of any scale with plenty to go at!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Snaps Airfix 1/24 Typhoon

Postby steve131 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:27 pm

Nice looking goodies there Snapdragons, K awarded for starting build diary from the jealous poor people whom haven't got a Typhoon :violin: . Looking forward to this build. :dance: :clap:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby number1 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:56 pm

Nice set of barrels, hope they fit ok, not long to wait now, my local model shop reckons the typhoon should be in their warehouse on the 20 th :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby farrabass » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:46 pm

I will be attempting this build as well Snapdragon!! I received a notification from Hornby last night that the Typhoon was available for order. So my details were immediately entered and I will now sit back and wait for my large box to arrive via the postman?????
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby snapdragon » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:38 pm

Having seen this one close up and personal last year at Telford, farrabass, my advice is not to jump in, but just sit and think carefully about how you are going to tackle this. This is very much like a 1/32 kit but in 1/24 scale, and I am sure that there is the possibility to add much more detail. Spend plenty of time looking at the sprues and the parts as well as the instructions. I think Airfix are trying a new type of build manual for this..... time will tell. Spend plenty of time as well looking around the net doing searches for photos that will help you. I think there is also a book due out on how to build this beast.

You will need to think about painting the engine, interior, spars etc. There will be lots to do in this kit but you aren't alone. Morrigan is getting one, Skyfire is (I think)... there are several members going to be building this kit so join in with the chat and ideas exchange. There is no rush. This is an expensive kit (all the good ones are) and so time needs to be spent getting it right with test fit after test fit, painting, glueing, more painting. The engine is a beast and is one of the focal points of this kit. But be warned. The Napier Sabre was not painted black, but a dark gloss green.

Welcome to the fold of Large Scale Plane builders.

Once again, Good luck and happy building.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:17 am

I'll set up the group build section once we have got 2 or 3 builds going. It looks an amazing kit.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby baby_astons » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:42 pm

...as i'm missing only the hurricane + mossie (at the moment) from all available 24th kits, this will be a must...
btw, maybe you should have bought the 20mm hispanos with the fairings?? (like those for the spit...)
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby Gundog » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:05 pm

baby_astons wrote:...as i'm missing only the hurricane + mossie (at the moment) from all available 24th kits, this will be a must...
btw, maybe you should have bought the 20mm hispanos with the fairings?? (like those for the spit...)

That occurred to me the other week,but I don't think they're available with fairings in 1/24
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

In the stash: Way too much
Gundog
Major
Major

Postby morrigan » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:53 pm

I've ordered the Hispannos as well, just to make sure there is plenty to ponder over! They will fit!

I also found this neat cutaway of the Napier Sabre.

And it seems the engine block should be green.
The RNZAF museum was loaned one for a bit, the chap who restored it reports it was painted green on arrival from the UK:
It was the result of a trade of a RR Kestrel for a Sabre, the new owner was expecting an intact example not a sectioned one, so off to the Museum it went.
After being restored it was repainted in a hammertone silver (ordered by the brass), it now resides in the Nelson Wearable Art & Classic Car Museum.
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:57 pm

There should be fairings in the kit.

If you look at these two photos you can see that the 20mm cannons have barrels. I have seen them on the sprues.

There are plenty of photos around the net of the Typhoon at Telford and the ones built from test shots, but I think that there will be more than one surprise in this kit. When I get this I will of course photograph everything in the box and also do close ups of the detail.

So far I am putting forward this Airfix kit and the up and coming ZM Horten for kit of the year!

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:44 pm

Extras for the Typhoon.

While this is just beginning to ship, there are items already out there that should help to upgrade this. We can see from the built up test shots that a damn good model results out of the box but with a bit of extra work this stunning kit can be made into a kit that makes jaws drop

First up we have barrels for the 4 20mm Hispano Cannon These from photos seem to be the same as from the Airfix Mossie kit, so Master Models' set should fit. Master Models don't have an online shop, so Ebay to get the best price. Mine cost £16.50

http://www.master-model.pl/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=180&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56

I have also found that there is a step by step build book for this from ADH Publishing with lots of pics, walkrounds etc!

http://adhpublishing.com/shop/store/products/new-how-to-build-the-airfix-124-typhoon-mk-ib/

It looks like Miracle masks are doing a mask set for the Tiffie. It should contain roundel masks, D-Day stripe masks, camo masks, leading edge ID and other ID masks and other things. Contact them through their website:

http://www.freewebs.com/miraclemasks/

Hannants with their xtradecals have a 1/24 Typhoon set.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X24003

Individual cockpit dials and placards from airscale.

http://www.airscale.co.uk/ww2.php
http://www.airscale.co.uk/placards.php

I think that's it for now. Anyone else comes up with something then just post

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:57 am

Just in case those amongst us are not happy with the decals that Airfix put in their kit and Hannants Xtradecal set and wish to do a competly different aircraft that flew on June 6th. I have Identified all 20 squadrons that flew Typhoons on that day.

Here is a Squadron list along with their code letters

83 Group 2nd TAF RAF

121 Wing, Holmsley South, Hants.
174 Sqn. XP
175 Sqn. HH
245 Sqn. MR

124 Wing, Hurn, Hants
181 Sqn. EL
182 Sqn. XM
247 Sqn. ZY

129 Wing, Westhampnett, Sussex (now Goodwood Aerodrome)
184 Sqn. BR

143 Wing, Hurn, Hants
438(RCAF) F3
439(RCAF) 5V
440(RCAF) I8

84 Group 2nd TAF RAF

123 Wing, Thorney Island, Sussex
198 Sqn. TP
609 Sqn. BL

136 Wing, Thorney Island, Sussex
164 Sqn. FJ
183 Sqn. HF

146 Wing, Needs Oar Point, Hants
193 Sqn. DP
197 Sqn. OV
257 Sqn. FM (May 1941 - Mar 1945)
266 Sqn. ZH (Jul 1942 – Jul 1945)

No 11. Group, Manston, Kent
137 Sqn TS

I think there were 16 aircraft to each squadron. 12 operational on two flights of 6 and 4 spares (2 for each flight) I think I read somewhere that typhoon squadrons were either all rocket or all bomb or 8 of each. Not sure though. Bomb armed (2x500lb or 2x1000lb) Typhoons were nicknamed "Bombphoon"

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:02 am

This is a good photo of the Napier at Hendon showing the true colour of the engine

And a couple of videos you will want to watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo0Lv1S3RfQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYiBPy578UU
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby DJG Downunder » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:23 pm

Nice video Snaps, I like the soundtrack.
It took me a fair while to get my head around how a sleeve valve engine works.
Pretty cool concept really, but a stack of moving parts to design and maintain, especially with 24 cylinders.
My research, which I did a few years ago suggested they went with a sleeve valve design in order to try to reduce the frontal cross-section of the engine, which in turn reduces drag.
At the time I was looking there were no working examples left any where that I could find anyway.
DJG Downunder
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby morrigan » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:20 pm

Nive video clips Snaps.

I'm hoping to do my Tiffie as a 486 Sqn(NZ) example :D
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:13 pm

Nice choice Morrigan. Something different.

The Squadron Code will be SA. It will be the standard camo/undersurface but with different black/white ID stripes for AA recognition

You could do the aircraft in the picture which the ID code is SA - K

ID stripes.... black stripes 18 inches, white stripes 32 inches.

I can't make out the aircraft number apart from the last 2 numbers which are 63. You could ask Miracle masks for masks for the ID stripes

Aircraft of 486 squadron, part of 150 Wing were designated as day patrol to look out for Luftwaffe sneak fighters at low level. The Typhoon, while not good at high altitude, was excellent at interception at low level and were used against the V-1, FW-190 etc. They had quite a lot of successes I believe. 4 20mm cannon made a right mess of a Dora, often chewing it to pieces in mid air!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Gundog » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:28 am

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

In the stash: Way too much
Gundog
Major
Major

Postby baby_astons » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:25 am

master model AM-24-005 are hispanos including alloy fairings - they claim they are for the spit Vb and I have them here...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-24-005-MASTER ... 20e3a61b7d
the fairings aren't hollow - they should be mounted onto the wing front - so one will need the rear end of the kit cannons...
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby snapdragon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:16 pm

Here you are BA. Proof that the Tiffy kit has separate farings

You can see them, top left
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:20 pm

Thanks Gundog.

Sutton Harness 1/24 scale. HGW E-shop - PAYPAL friendly!

http://shop.hgwmodels.cz/en/124-scale/412-sutton-qk-harness-raf-early-seatbelts-124-124505.html
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Airfix 1/24 Typhoon