Snaps Airfix 1/24 Typhoon

Re: Snaps Airfix 1/24 Typhoon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:15 pm

This update shows the results of stages 90-110.

In this section we drill holes in the bottom wing to accommodate the different armament options and variants available in this kit as well as a couple of lights. Also we put in the rest of the wing spars and build up the wheel wells as well as the cannon bays.

It took some time, but this is mainly because of painting and also because some of the parts are quite large and need clamping in place while the glue cures. Also be aware that the detail parts and cannon mounts that go in the bottom of the cannon bays are a tight fit.

The result is a very sturdy wing structure and the detail that goes in the wheel wells is very good. I am actually considering if I should put some of it now before I put the top cover on the wheel wells while I have plenty of room to do it.

Top of the wheel well painted and try fitted in place.

I have done a trial fit with the cannon I built up. It is very difficult to put it in built up and so I will take the cannons apart and fix them in in sections.

That's all for this update.... Time to start painting and fitting cannons and detailing the cannon bays.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby morrigan » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:58 pm

Looking good. The level of detail supplied in the wings and gear bays is heavenly.
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:43 pm

These photos show the cannon bays and the detailing.

The problem I faced was apparent once I was ready to place built items in. There would be no problems with the ammo boxes etc, the problem would be the cannons. There are port and starboard, inner and outer.... DON'T GET THEM MIXED UP!

The kit built cannons you will get in the way told to you in the manual as the barrels are thinner and will bend. Masters replacement barrels are correct... and won't bend. This made me think outside the cannon bay and eventually took Masters barrels off, fitted the breeches into the bay and then fitted the barrels by sliding them in through the front of the wing. Once in place I then detailed up the bays with the ammo storage and what looks like a heating element.

Still having to use the Macro lens, but the insurance are paying out, so I hope to have the lens fixed by the end of the month! :angry-banghead:

Next time we have photos of the nearly completed wings and how I tackle the AEF ID stripes!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:23 pm

K :clap:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:22 pm

I have ground frustratingly to a halt, can't see any way to proceed and seriously considering throwing this in the skip outside.

Why?

I realised that I needed to put the fuselage together to be able to complete the paint job on the wings. The Port and Starboard upper wings were primed and then coated in Ocean Grey and then put on. They fit with no seam lines once aligned both with the leading and trailing edge. there was no forcing internal detail into the correct position to align with openings (gunport and gunbays).
I then primed and painted the port fuselage side and glued in place using the tabs etc and instructions and then found this....

You can drive a tank through this gap. Nothing aligns here at all and any attempt to mate them up just warps the entire build.

Either I've gone wrong here somewhere or......

No matter what they produce in the future now, Airfix are not having any more of my money at the moment - That includes a second Tiffy kit!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:32 pm

I hate to say this, but I haven't heard of anybody else with the same problem, so I don't think it's the kit.

I don't have the kit, so can't help with identifying the problem. However, have you got all the seams off the locating pins ? I'd guess that something isn't fully located somewhere, but no idea where it could be..
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:14 pm

It could well be me.... I'm not sure at all!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:01 pm

Well it ain't your nephew this time

As mark said it's the first time this has been reported just looking though at other sites ... and. ..umm. nope no sign of this anywhere. I've just posted on air fix face book site ro see if anyone else is affected and I have just done a dry fit on mine - no gap.

Still I am surprised snap. That you haven't got two typhoons in the first place
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby chill » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:12 pm

Even on youtube no reports yet.
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby snapdragon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:57 pm

Just done a dry fit starboard side..... no problems at all - so it must be me!

Is it me? Of course it has to be!!! :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

How has it happened? Not a clue :oops: :doh:

This means that the port side upper wing will have to come off to try and work out what the hell has happened! I might take some extra steps to reveal more detail on the port side, such as carving out where the fuel tanks are...
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:17 pm

Whew panic over!!!

Call of the red alert.

Set back to defcon 5.

Well that was a roller coaster ...

Im off to find Ms Bomb and she can mop my fevered brow... :angry-chillpill:
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby baby_astons » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:28 pm

james I have had a close look at the pictures of your build -
could it be the casting seams added up to the misalignment? I noticed you haven't removed much of the flash that was in the kit -
as you've been into a turbo-build with this one, maybe simply taking your time would produce a better result?
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby Gundog » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:37 pm

I've heard a number of people mention how soft the plastic is on this kit as well. Could it be a problem with the way your kit was packed/stored?

In which case a replacement part would solve the problem. More emails to Airfix customer services :cry:
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

In the stash: Way too much
Gundog
Major
Major

Postby snapdragon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:04 pm

I have found the problem and it is in the wing structure at the root and trailing edge

Part of the wing structure is slightly misaligned which has caused the fuselage not to mate correctly with the trailing edge part where the flaps are fixed. I have tried glueing and clamping, but it just sprang apart and when it is in place it twists everything out of alignment. I am sure that there is something a bit further under which is causing this but I can't see it or fix it without stripping the whole thing down and causing lots of damage.

It could just be that the cockpit section at the rear is just not seated correctly.... I can't tell.

This is all my fault and not the kit. I will point that out right now

Separating the upper wing has caused even more problems and the wing tip is split and torn. This needs major repairs and I am not sure ATM if I can do it. I could try superglue, but I am not sure if it has the tensile strength needed.

I could try fudging it by cutting out the middle of the upper wing so that the fuel tank and wheel well is displayed as well as all the cannon bays and this might give me some leeway in getting the parts to fit so they look right.

Answers and suggestions welcome!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:14 pm

Gundog wrote:I've heard a number of people mention how soft the plastic is on this kit as well. Could it be a problem with the way your kit was packed/stored?

In which case a replacement part would solve the problem. More emails to Airfix customer services :cry:

Some good points.

I find the Typhoon packaging to be far superior to other airfix kits. The cannopy aside - snap must be very unlucky if he has got a duff kit,. But i have put out an APB on this issue. At this moment in time no replies that echo what Snap is facing,.

Highly unusable :think:
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby Gundog » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:18 pm

I'd ask for a replacement part. Has to be better than trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. You can Anymouse it later. (Swordfish_Fairey can explain that one if you're not familiar with it)

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Gundog » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:27 pm

chill wrote:
Gundog wrote:I've heard a number of people mention how soft the plastic is on this kit as well. Could it be a problem with the way your kit was packed/stored?

Some good points.

I find the Typhoon packaging to be far superior to other airfix kits. The cannopy aside - snap must be very unlucky if he has got a duff kit,. But i have put out an APB on this issue. At this moment in time no replies that echo what Snap is facing,.

Highly unusable :think:

I wasn't attempting to be derogatory to Airfix's efforts. This is far and away one of, if not the, best kits they have ever produced. Initial production glitches, such as the canopy, are a fact of life. But other problems do occur on a one-off or limited basis. The quality of the plastic is not in question; only it's propensity to warp under certain conditions. If box packer 124 put that part in the box in a certain way, it may have caused it to deform. It's not a manufacturing problem, like the canopy, but it's still down to Airfix to rectify it.

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby snapdragon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:52 am

Ok... It's not Airfix or the kit.... It's me! :angry-banghead: :laughing-rolling:

I have found the cause and will explain it with my next post. It is something that everyone should be aware of.... and that's not understanding properly how things fit together.

It's my fault for not understanding correctly how things should go together and the result that's needed.

This is one kit that if you get something not quite right you will have knock on problems, but with the aid of a few photos tomorrow you will all know how it was caused so you don't make the same mess-up!

so..... if you ain't started yet..... hang on until you find out what went wrong!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:51 am

Don't forget you can always ask Airfix CS for spare parts if anything is beyond repair. They may or may not charge, even if it's your mistake.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:38 am

It's been stripped down and asking Airfix CS for half a kit's not on!

Nope.... I could salvage some bits, but really with what's happened and what I have tried to do then it's not going to look any good at all. Not to my usual "standard" :laughing-rolling:

However, it has given me lots of information on the look I want and how to get it, so in a sense this has served it's purpose. At the end of the day It's only money and time. I may not have much money, but I have lots of time and I have been spending 12 hours a day, so when it comes to the money issue then it's cheap!

This is also a kit that I just have to build and get it right!

So.... what went wrong?

The crux of the problem stems from the fact that I didn't get the cockpit frame correctly seated onto the lower wing section. This has had a number of knock on effects. the main one is that the fuselage sides don't fit correctly and this produces problems with covering the engine and the trailing edge section of the wing root.

The gap circled in the picture above shouldn't be there. This is the whole problem and it is my fault.

The gap again at the other side. Originally I was sure that I had got this in right and square after all the build and painting - now I am not so sure, so when you have the basic frame built (very early on.... stage 3 or 4, somewhere around there) then test fit into the lower wing section. Make sure that it fits properly. once you have all the lower frame in place it would be possible to fix it in while you can see everything and then build the cockpit and engine up - make sure you drill the holes needed in the lower wing first!!!!!! :D

This shows the gap and part of the knock on effect, rear spar doesn't quite connect properly with the lower wing.

Now then....

1. You can clearly see the gap.

2. When putting in the trailing edge flap hinge make sure that this fixing tab is all the way in.

3. This is where the locating tab on the fuselage wing root goes!

I think that's it....

I hope that this has helped everyone. It has certainly opened my eyes to an unusual display option which I will explore with my next tiffy!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Airfix 1/24 Typhoon