Snaps 1/24 Airfix Typhoon 1B In-Box review

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:38 pm

Let's start off in November 2013 when the test shots of this were revealed at Telford to a very exited model building community. At the same time, Across the Isle from the Airfix stand was the Zoukei-Mura stand, Also announcing their 1/32 Horten 229 Flying wing. This area of the model show was crammed full all weekend with modellers and the sound of shutters and flashes of cameras and iPhones was deafening and blinding.

Moving on to July 2014 and after a long wait and a delay we finally have the Tiffy - and what a kit it is!

I think that you could safely say that it is a 1/32 kit but in 1/24 scale. For a 1/24 kit, the part count is off the scale and there is so much detail the build instructions, far from being Airfix's standard fare is actually a book of CAD drawings on decent quality paper. There are 3 display options and markings for 4 aircraft and alternate parts galore.

I would say immediately - DON'T JUMP IN RTFM first... and more than once. get the icons memorised and also read the small print (in your chosen language) otherwise you will miss some important information that could lead to much frustration and the swear jar being filled at an extortionate rate. Airfix have a good idea here of showing parts, where they go and then showing them in place coloured red, often in separate drawings.

Also there is a tendency for stages (there are over 200 stages) to be crammed together. They are not like the dragon instructions though that can lead builders astray and often banging their head on a desk and crying, but are divided up noticeably. Some sections also have alternatives too. THIS IS WHY YOU HAVE TO READ THE ENTIRE BOOK and understand exactly what you have to do, which display option you are doing AND which aircraft!

There is as much detail in the instruction book as there is in the kit and it can sometimes distract to how parts fit. No matter, those of us who will get and build this beast will spend lots of time with source material, photos etc. as well as many dry fits so we know just how things go and we don't muck up. Muckups will be done, but I reckon that it will be the builders misunderstanding on what actually fits where, and what to! The designer himself (Who in my opinion should be given a raise and many congratulations) himself put 5 test shots together just to make sure it is right and goes together properly. That's dedication! Any muckups are the modeller!!!

In the manual - sorry, book - there are no sprue diagrams and no paint list. There are numerous paint call outs for parts but nothing to refer to, until the exterior paint and markings for the 4 aircraft covered on the decal sheet. This in a kit of this size and complexity is a failing by airfix, and no suprising that any paint numbers are humbol colours only. Get your colour charts and matches out guys! There is a complete list of paints for each aircraft covered on their website BUT NOT IN THE MANUAL. Airfix, this along with sprue diagrams need adding to the build book.

On to the decals.

It is a large sheet and printed by Cartograf in Italy. No worries there then. I have noticed that apart from the two code letters for the squadron there is very little to no carrier film around the decals. The only reason for carrier film to be between the two squadron code letters is to provide the correct spacing.

All the exterior decals look to be right in register and the correct size. There are lots of stencils including bomb and two types of rocket stencils. There are also individual dial decals for the instrument panel, but I think that Airscale might have the edge on these when they release their tiffy cockpit set including placards and bezels.

A very nice set of decals to work with.

On to the parts themselves.

Now let me say right away. You will find the odd bit of flash. BUT - and it is a LARGE BUT - What you think is flash could also be part of the part itself. Also there are stressed metal areas moulded in to the fuselage, wing and control surfaces. There are also raised detail and flush detail next to each other, overlapping etc. should you feel a bump under your fingers then don't reach for the sanding stick. IT IS MEANT TO BE THERE!!! There is detail galore everywhere you look even down to separate seatbelts.

I have photographed every single sprue and done close ups so you can get an idea on just how incredibly detailed this Tiffy is!

Don't take that ridge off (below) at the top. It's the bubble canopy runner (both parts)

On to the clear parts. They are very clear parts and well done. There are a couple of items to note.

On the above sprue what looks like wing landing lights and bulbs are not used. They have a cross through them in the instruction book for this kit. They will probably be used for the early car door one. Instead there is a coloured part to use in their place.

The canopy sprue. Very clear, but several people have noted a slight lens type of effect in a small area of the canopy. I tried to photograph it but wasn't successful. You only notice it if you are looking for it.

As the bubble hood is not supported properly on the sprue a stress fracture has appeared on the canopy. It is only a small one, but Airfix should have looked closely at this and realised what could happed and made the necessary adjustment. Never mind. What done is done, and really I won't bother me as again you will only see it if you are looking for it!

A bit of flash? probably, but also you can see where the canopy runner goes through. As noted above - DON'T TAKE THAT OFF!

Poseable control surfaces. An engine that is more than a kit in itself ( I am sure, that despite the instructions someone will come up with a way to display this Napier Sabre in all it's glory, pipework and everything on it's own stand next to the aircraft). Internal structure, wing and leading edge fuel tanks, weighted tires, full set of ordnance, two types of rockets, 500lb, 1000lb bombs, external fuel tanks plus racks...... Mk1 & Mk2 rocket rails...... so much in this kit to keep the modeller occupied for ages. I can see some modellers buying more than one and a few being entered for Telford in November!

You thought the Mossie was good? This is even better! There will be some that will turn their noses up, not for me, not my scale, not interested etc. etc. One thing I will say to them. Never mind the price. Never mind the excuses. Get yourself this kit which probably is the turning point in 1/24 kits. Enjoy the experience of what this kit will give you. For those who make this kit (Hi trumpeter) you have better learn what we want in this scale, because Airfix just provided it!

AIrfix.... you get 11 out of 10 from me for this. No kit is perfect, and I have to really niggle to find something, and that is that the cannon barrels look a little soft.... However my set of Master 1/24 barrels should cure that!

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Return to Airfix 1/24 Typhoon