Another Typhoon

Another Typhoon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Another Typhoon

Postby farrabass » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:05 pm

I have started my build, I wont be adding any after market extras to my build as this is an expensive kit to start with. I have opted to finish mine with the full monty "Bombs, Rockets, cannon and teeth" also can be seen as MR U, the option with the blue checker board flourish!. I am not bothering with a review of the box and its contents as that has already been covered elsewhere.
ImageImage
A nice easy start, the parts are a very good fit and have all been dry-fitted and painted before they are glued together permanently. There is very little flash to contend with so far and what little there is quickly disappears after a quick rub with a needle file, for the most part I will follow the build instructions for a paint scheme with the notable exception of the engine which will be painted green like the ones we have photos of!
ImageImage
I wont be weathering this build too much I will just emphasise shade and high-lights and treat it as a newly delivered machine? there are some great little details engraved all over the parts of which a very large percentage will never be seen once all the parts start to be glued together??
That's the first of quite a few cockpit details done.
ImageImage
Just a few more parts added and a bit more painting done, the pilots seat has had its base coat applied the details will be added next and then that will be ready to be installed when called upon.
That's it for now, I have the dilemma of carrying on with this, finishing the Heinkel or adding a few more sticks to the Sovereign? (decisions???)
Cheers, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Re: Another Typhoon

Postby Gundog » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:10 pm

Good stuff Steve. k for starting (and a good job) :D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

In the stash: Way too much
Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Dazza » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi Steve, nice to see this build coming on. Have a K!! :D :D
If at first you don't succeed, never try sky diving!!
Dazza
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby chill » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:29 pm

Nice. Have a k fro me .

I look forward to your comments on the wings as one of our members has had terrible trouble with his.
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby number1 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:06 pm

K for starting your tiffy, as for the green for the engine Im going to use vallejo bronze green, dont know if this is right or not but hay ho
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Gundog » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:49 pm

There's something about the correct engine colour posted a couple of months before the kit came out. If I can find the link, I'll post it.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

In the stash: Way too much
Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:42 am

Nice to see another one in the hanger :D
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:37 pm

Now is the time to check the fit with the lower wing part.... trust me - It's not wasted time!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:44 pm

Correct Engine block and supercharge colour - primer coat of Vallejo Grey 601 and then all over with Vallejo Model Air 71.007, Olive Green... take it as dark as you want... it's the right shade!

Engine mounts forward of firewall RAF Aircraft Grey-green Either use Xtracrillix XA1010, or Vallejo Model Air 71.126 IDF Green - It is very, very close.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby farrabass » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:38 am

Thanks everyone for the very kind comments and all the "K"s, I'll soon hit the ton with those :dance: . I have the new kit bug at the moment and have spent a little more time that I would have planned doing some more.
Just to answer snapdragon! I don't have the colours that you mentioned but do have some dark green shades from citadel available which will be used to paint the engine, as for the mounts I quite like the look of them as they are (aluminium), so the kit will be made as per the instruction paint guide and if it needs changing I'll do that some time later!. In the meantime here are a few more photos of some progress on the pilots seat, there are some fantastic details moulded into the plastic.

ImageImage
ImageImage
The seat belt (Harness) is a really nicely detailed part lots of texture! With regard to the "Compass" as it came as a clear part should it have a clear cover or should the whole of the compass be black? I only ask as I don't have that particular decal to apply to it as I have seen on other builds and have instead painted some details onto it and given it a nice day-glo yellow look to it??? It's going to be quite difficult to see once all the cockpit parts are in place, but if there is a suggestion I am always willing to take on board whats suggested?
Cheers, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby number1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:01 pm

Hi farrabass, Im using airscales decals for my typhoon, if you go to their site and look up the images for the 1/24 scale typhoon cockpit placards you will see it there, I think it was #44 on the image, I will update my build diary as soon as Im back from holiday.
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby morrigan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:00 pm

And a K from me for a cracker start on the Typhoon

The compass would look something like this one
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby farrabass » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:24 pm

Thanks for the "K" Morrigan, I have seen the photo of the compass and will paint over what I've done grey the next time I reach for the grey pot. I wont be adding a decal as I will be sticking with the box set of decals and it doesn't include one!!
I have just spent a couple of hours doing a bit more to this kit, looks like the "Tiffy" is winning the battle of the kits at the moment and I have just subscribed to the Mallard collection, I have no idea where I will find the time to do that and I have never tackled a metal kit before so I will have lots of new skills to learn?

ImageImage
ImageImage
The instruments panels have had their decals applied and the odd scrap of colour added here and there with the notable exception of the one that should have a yellow surround! I only realised it was missing when I pasted the photo into this update and checked the preview. No problem the main panel isn't glued in place at the moment it is just placed for the photo, so that will be touched up next time I have the brush out.

ImageImage
ImageImage
A start has been made on the engine, IT'S A VERY TIGHT FIT and the cross at the back didn't want to mate up with corresponding cross in the bulkhead!! so that bit was shaved off :o . Having had a little peep further into the instructions I can see that there is going to be a need to have a little bit of play at stages in order to be able to add some parts later in the build for that reason the back of the engine wont be glued until all the other little additions are safely in place.
That's it for today, all the best, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby morrigan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:48 pm

Looking good Steve,the green does make the Sabre look thoroughly British.
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby farrabass » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:13 am

Thanks for looking in Morrigan, Yes the green does look thoroughly British. I have added a lot more than the photos will have you believe, there are oodles of pipes and hoses running all over.
ImageImage
ImageImage
I have painted the parts with a couple of coats of colour and given a darker wash to the engraved detail, a few highlights have been added to the parts that are about to be obscured by the next round of parts. A touch of dirt and a very small hint of corrosion will be added later.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Took a while threading some pipes through the matrix of parts in place but, got there in the end. The "scoop" was a bit of a bother!! there is a small square piece that needs to sit on the end and that has to be located in place before the scoop is connected as the square piece has to be threaded through on its end due to it being too wide to put in place directly. As can be seen I did it eventually.

ImageImage
THATS the troublesome part right in the middle of the first photo peering through the framework :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: . Soon be time to start tackling the wing sections :think:
Cheers, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby RedRoo » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:21 am

:superlglue: As with all the other models you touch, it is amazing to see :o and, like the other observers, we all have our pockets full of K's for distribution, so, have the fattest one I have in my pocket and I am on the edge of my chair here, face right on the screen admiring the detailed work you always produce. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers, a K and ........Wot's next ?

Roo.

:-)
RedRoo
Captain
Captain

Postby morrigan » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:57 pm

At least you feel like a proper mechanic threading all the pipework through the framing and round the engine!
Superb work again sir!
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby farrabass » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:43 pm

Thanks for the continued interest people!! the continuing comments are a great moral booster and always very much appreciated. Those are very good reasons why this site is attracting so much interest and encouraging new members to take the plunge and join our friendly group.. :clap: :clap: :clap:
As I now have four quite large builds on the go it is a dilemma each time I open the shed door of which kit to tackle first, obviously the Typhoon has got the nod this time, here are a few more photos of my slow but steady build.

ImageImage
As usual I have included a rather blurred photo of part of my build, the radiator part was assembled and painted before being glued into place. Again the parts fit very snuggly and only a minimal amount of glue is needed to hold it securely in place.
ImageImage
You wouldn't think that the same person using the same camera had taken these photo's? I don't know how I can be so bad sometimes, and other times feel quite proud that I have taken what looks like to me a "good" picture.

ImageImage
ImageImage
The addition of the wings has started, again I am following the build instructions regarding the colour scheme and as can be seen the guide directs that the cockpit floor should be black!, this I have done and added just a minimal amount of shade and highlight as none of this will be visible later in the build (I Think)?
The one part lower wing part fits very nicely indeed with just a very slight rub on the mating surfaces to get rid of any paint over spray. The internal wing parts have been dry fitted and sprayed with metallic aluminium coloured paint, the shade and highlight will be added after a few more parts are in place.
ImageImage
The three parts added in the last two photos have been painted and are just dry fitted for the moment until I am convinced everything is going to sit as it should, at first glance it all seems to be sitting as it should?. The first part sitting right by the fuselage side is an extremely snug fit and may have just a couple of spots of glue added as its sits?
That's it for today, I will have to ponder whether to carry on with this or do a little more to my tank or try and finish the Heinkel?
Cheers everybody, Steve.. :think:
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby number1 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:41 pm

Coming along nicely steve, Im only a little bit further than you on the wings, I found that I had to file the ends of parts F39 & F38 to get them too fit, maybe my wing spars were slightly out, anyhow have a K for what you have achieved so far.
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby keith » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:58 pm

Looking really good still plenty of fun and games to come have you decided which decals you are going for?

Keith
keith
Sergeant
Sergeant

Next

Return to Airfix 1/24 Typhoon