Another Typhoon

Re: Another Typhoon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby davetwin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:57 pm

Another great looking typhoon build, Im really enjoying watching these kist come together
davetwin
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby farrabass » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:33 pm

Thanks for the comments chaps, I am at about the same stage as number1 with his build, maybe a few hours behind. So far all the wing parts are fitting together very snuggly, so long as there is no paint between the mating surfaces. If there appears to be a bit of a struggle to get something to fit I have found that a gentle rub with an emery board has done the trick for me so far :shock:
I am still following the included colour scheme for the kit (well nearly) but I am using whatever paint I have that is near enough, I have a good stock of Citadel and P3 acrylic colours that I have used for quite some time and am replacing expended colours with vallajo pots as needed.

ImageImage
ImageImage
The holes for the gun barrels to fit through needed to be opened slightly, not much just 0.5mm was enough, the gun barrels come with some fine detail moulded into them but these will be encased in individual fairings once the wing halves are joined so not much point in doing too much detail painting on those.....

ImageImage
ImageImage
Just a few details have been added like the long fuel tank, a smaller one still has to go in yet which wont be seen once the wing halves are joined.
That's it for the moment I have some tank tracks to finish off now while the ink dries on these bits.
Cheers, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby number1 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:53 pm

Hi farrabass, as you say were pretty much on par with our builds, I notice you have the same gap as I had between part D15 (stage 75) and the lower wing, I filled mine in but am wondering if it should be there or not? Please dont take offence but the 2 holes in the lower wing next to part 75 should only be 1.3mm and only there if your building version D, which I assume you are, from the photo they look too large.
Regards
Les
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby farrabass » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:31 pm

number1 wrote:Hi farrabass, as you say were pretty much on par with our builds, I notice you have the same gap as I had between part D15 (stage 75) and the lower wing, I filled mine in but am wondering if it should be there or not? Please dont take offence but the 2 holes in the lower wing next to part 75 should only be 1.3mm and only there if your building version D, which I assume you are, from the photo they look too large.
Regards
Les

YOUR QUITE RIGHT ABOUT THOSE TWO HOLES BEING TOO BIG!! They shouldn't be there at all, I didn't take enough notice when I was drilling the two holes for the transparent parts by the gear wells. As is quite noticeable those two holes were drilled in the wrong place, but they are the right size for what I wanted, anyway it just goes to show that mistakes can happen so easily if not enough concentration is used. Those holes will be filled with a little stretched sprue when I get round to it before painting the underside, as for the gap it looks like it should be there for the moment as the spacing is very similar all the way around it, if any filler is needed that will be done the same time as the two holes and any and all other blemishes at the same time that I'm quite sure will mount up as the build progresses.
Thanks for taking the time to point out the mistake, I would never take offence over a genuine comment, just happy to know someone is watching over me.
All the best, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby farrabass » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:02 am

The Typhoon has had a bit more done to it, that will probably be it for a while as Christmas draws ever nearer and time is at such a premium at the moment and of course I still need to get my Christmas build finished!!
ImageImage
The wing halves are ready to be joined together now, the ammo boxes are painted and will be installed later just in case there are any alterations needed in the meantime????
ImageImage
The wings fit together very well indeed without any need for filler anywhere!!! it shows how much Airfix have improved recently?. The cannon fairings are a very cosy fit as well and have to be added in the right order as there are tops/bottoms and left/right parts to fit in sequence.
ImageImage
The last photo shows a good view of where I drilled the wrong holes, as can be seen they are the same size as the ones that hold the transparent parts by the wheel wells??
That's it now for a while, all the best, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby casper » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:10 am

looking excellent steve :clap: :clap: :)
K posted
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby baby_astons » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:58 am

I like what you're doing to your tiffy steve, still may i question the lower cooling duct,
you've simply slapped it together without filling and sanding the resulting seam - could have been done neater to my eyes...
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby farrabass » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:53 pm

baby_astons wrote:I like what you're doing to your tiffy steve, still may i question the lower cooling duct,
you've simply slapped it together without filling and sanding the resulting seam - could have been done neater to my eyes...

Thanks for the input BA :clap: I can assure you that the paintwork and finish look a lot better to the naked eye than this photo implies (well that's my story and I'm sticking with it!!) there are some imperfections that were acquired after construction and painting mainly caused by dry fitting the fuselage halves. I am going to try and go for an option that the kit isn't designed for and that is to have one half fully dressed and the other half with a lot of internal details exposed?.
So as virtually all of the scoop will be encased in plastic I wont be touching up the rough workmanship as it wont be seen apart from the top left hand branch on the exposed side?????
I am posting a couple of photos to demonstrate my intention, please excuse the very dirty look of the build a mix of pva, water, canopy tack and paint have emulsified into that dreadful looking smudge. At the moment the sides are just in a temporary position whilst I work out my plan of attack for gluing parts in place as some parts will need a little alteration to fit properly.
ImageImage
Back soon when I've come to a final decision. Cheers, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby RedRoo » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:02 am

:superlglue: Fabb's, Won't your build of the Horton 229 be something to watch !! :dance: , because every part of the Typhoon build I have looked at has got such a fantastic look of realisim to them all. :hand:

And it is such a shame that so much of all that wonderful attention to detail will never see the light of day, :cry: but we don't mind really because we know how much love and attention went into it for our own satisfaction :violin:

. Mate, I cant wait for you 229 posts, they will be spectacular, and I kid you not, I mean every word of what I say because I have been watching all the builds you guys have done and I am always left stunned by what I see all of you do.

:D :D :D roo.
RedRoo
Captain
Captain

Postby morrigan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:50 am

The tiffies coming along nicely Farrabass.
Looks like the half and half option will work out nicely :D
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby farrabass » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:42 am

Thank you so much redRoo Morrigan for the very nice comments :clap:
I wasn't going to bother doing any more to this build unil the other builds cluttering my area were out of the way!!! But as I am resistant to all but temptation I succumbed and just did a tiny bit more. Just filled in the two wrong holes and applied a touch of primer.
ImageImage
Some bits have been added to the wheel wells at the same time.
Happy Christmas everyone, I hope your stocking bursts with presents :mrgreen:
Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby RedRoo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:13 am

farrabass wrote:Thank you so much redRoo Morrigan for the very nice comments :clap:
I wasn't going to bother doing any more to this build unil the other builds cluttering my area were out of the way!!! But as I am resistant to all but temptation I succumbed and just did a tiny bit more. Just filled in the two wrong holes and applied a touch of primer.
ImageImage
Some bits have been added to the wheel wells at the same time.
Happy Christmas everyone, I hope your stocking bursts with presents :mrgreen:
Steve..

Merry Christmas to you and yours also FB. Take care.

Roo :D
RedRoo
Captain
Captain

Postby farrabass » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:27 pm

The Typhoon will be back on the bench for a while! I am just finishing off the last few details on my Christmas entries and leaving the Sovereign on hold until I have the rest of the magazines. The Mallard will be updated in the next few days but, in the meantime after dusting off the box I have secured the instrument panel in place and masked up the fuselage ready for priming.
ImageImage
Not the best photos :oops: :oops:
Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby morrigan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Oooh Painting time.

Watch the stocks do up for masking tape companies!
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby farrabass » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 pm

morrigan wrote:Oooh Painting time.

Watch the stocks do up for masking tape companies!

I have plenty of decorators masking tape plus a couple of Tamiya yellow tapes in stock, its the blue tack that's going to have to be bought in large quantities :D
I forgot to take any photos of the cockpit sides before I masked it ready for the primer! not too much missed though :dance:
I'm also waiting for a camera aid to be delivered as some of my photos are terrible, hopefully the tripod will help to keep the camera steady when I try and do the close up shots? A start has been made on the under-carriage and, those photos will be in my next post when I have enough to provide a proper update.
All the best, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby farrabass » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:25 am

The weather has not been as bad as forecast around me and hasn't prevented me from going out to the shed for a modelling session, still not too cold as yet?
Adding on from my last update I have got the whole thing primed and a little more as well.................................................................................
ImageImage
ImageImage
I have used "citadel" enchanted blue where required, the paint guide asks for WWI blue! I'm too much of a meanie to splash out on a pot of paint for a couple of brushes worth. By the time a wash or two of ink has been applied and a touch of dirt it should look very similar to the blue on the checker board band around the rear of the fuselage (sharp intake of breath) :?

ImageImage
I don't have too much left to do on this beastie now, the basic grey and green camouflage has been painted on with a couple of coloured washes needed to finish the top. The underside will be painted and washed next.
that's it for today, back with more very soon, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby RedRoo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:55 pm

:) Farra, I have just dropped in to say Hi and to check what progress you have made on your build mate. :clap:

I see the last entry was by Postby keith » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:58 am and I imagine your resting after a long skwark or your pining for the Fjords or something, but I guess I will have to come back later and look in again.

:o :o :o As I 'submitted', I was just on my way out and Bingo, I see all the newest replies appeared, so now I will look through and enjoy my self for an hour or two. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Roo. 8-)
RedRoo
Captain
Captain

Postby morrigan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:40 pm

Nice work on the Tiffie!
The paint work is Superb.
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby farrabass » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:27 pm

Thank you for the continued interest, its always appreciated receiving such good comments from such esteemed members! :oops:
I have done a little more over the last few evenings.

ImageImage
The top has had all its basic camouflage applied, then comes the underside.
ImageImage
Then flipped back over and the gloss coat/sealer has gone on followed by a light wash of inks to add a little definition and texture, I still need to pick out a few highlights before the decals and matt coat go on. I'm still deciding on whether to have the wing flaps up or down or a combination of both?
I'll stop there for today and go off and ponder :think:
All the best, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mustang » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:37 pm

This is look excellent. :mrgreen: the more I see your Typhoon coming to life the more I would like one, but I have to many.

The camouflage is coming on superbly well done on that. Did you do it freehand or masked. :clap: :clap: :clap: K
Mustang
Brigadier
Brigadier

PreviousNext

Return to Airfix 1/24 Typhoon