Turret Window Out Of Alignment

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Darron » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:15 pm

Hi Star Wars Fans!

This is how the turret windows should look as in all other models and the film screen shots, note the glazing bars positions to the gun mount and the plating at the front of the turret.

Now look at the glazing bar positions on the part supplied.

Well the turret glazing bars are 22.5 degree’s out of alignment!. I’ve been able to remove the window frame from the turret, the problem has been the location lug on the window was put between two glazing bars not in-line with a glazing bar, so when the workers glue the window to the turret the alignment is not correct. The same misalignment is on the blueprints someone has changed the windows alignment, I've checked every picture I can find of the turret even the partwork test have the glazing bars correct.

I scored around the inside using the back edge of the craft knife to free the window, it took about 20 minutes to do it.
Keeping the blade as flat as possible to the window using my thumb as a pivot point for the knife while holding the turret, I moved the knife clockwise around the joint slowly just scoring the plastic a couple of times then turned the turret slightly and continued scoring around the inside of the turret window.

I found if I used the sharp edge of the knife it would stick or try to move out of the glue joint. I had to keep checking I wasn’t cutting through to much in one place, just as I was about to cut through and the plastic starts to turn white I then carefully finished the cut, even using my nail to ease the window up to help with the last part, then once the window was removed I cut away the location lug.

AFTER RE-ALIGNMENT! (DRY FIT)

I still need to remove some glue a plastic from both surfaces before gluing the window back, might need a little green stuff to finish the joint to make it light tight.

IT TAKES TIME AND CARE TO REMOVE THE WINDOW WITHOUT DAMAGING THE TURRET OR WINDOW! IT'S NOT EASY BUT IT IS POSSIBLE!

If things went wrong it would have cost me for another issue to replace it, I've done the re-alignment for myself and I don't what other's to think they should have to do it. It will look just as good the way it is supplied, it is down to people like myself that want the Falcon to look as close to the screen model as possible to make these kind of changes.

May The Force Be With You!

Darron
I might not be able to see what I'm doing, but I have a feeling it's RIGHT!
Darron
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Turret Window Out Of Alignment

Postby steve131 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:06 pm

Well spotted Darron, great fix K awarded. :clap:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:09 pm

Well spotted. Just had a look on the Deagostini Build the Millennium Forum.

It's a shame that they advertise this as a detailed 1:1 model but seems like on some of the parts already that they are either missing some details or in this case got the orientation wrong. Not good for the price we are paying for this. :angry-banghead:

Hopefully Deag will sort the problem, other wise we all could be doing a lot of modification to correct their mistakes.
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Darron » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:23 pm

Thank you Steve and Roy!

I got issues 2 & 3 in the post on Thursday, the turret window didn't look as I remembered so I spent the next couple of days checking, I must say there is some great YouTube clips for the Falcon, lots of painting techniques and other stuff. All the images of the turret were the same only Deagostini's is different, in the "Creating a replica of the Empire Strikes Back movie prop - Stephen Dymszo interview" LInk:- http://youtu.be/vb63W0xlm28 the model used to base this build shows the correct glazing alignment, 48 seconds in, 131 seconds in, 320 seconds in, 532 seconds in, 603 seconds in, but at 625 seconds in the clip the Deagostini turret we have been supplied is shows with the glazing bars in a new alignment position.

Only started the re-alignment today when I was certain I was right and it was only then I posted my findings, another person also found the same thing on the Deagostini Build the Millennium Forum and post they findings Yesterday.

Still we don't want the build to be too easy now do we! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: I mean how many of you are thinking of adding extra light to the ship, I know I am!

Have you seen this on thee bay Millennium Falcon by Fine Molds £999.95 Link:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sideshow-1-72 ... 35e0091d92

I would rather mod this partwork than pay that for a plastic kit! I'm not starting the build just yet, I will wait a number of months before I start, just had to correct this part now!

Darron
I might not be able to see what I'm doing, but I have a feeling it's RIGHT!
Darron
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby baby_astons » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:48 pm

bravo! you know there's another set of windows for the lower turret, so it'll be interesting to see if they are creative and do it differently :mrgreen: or we need to carve that one open just as well!!
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby royjess » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:38 pm

Corrective surgery performed on the turret of my Millennium Falcon to correct the orientation of the turret :auto-ambulance:

Surgically removed the turret with a surgeons knife (as recommended by Darron :clap: )

The rough edges where given a manicure with a soft spongy nail file. All glued back in place the correct orientation and held by clamps until glue dries.

Surgery a success :dance:

Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mustang » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:28 pm

Good find Darron.

I've also done mine so thank you, but just one little thing.
I found that the use of acetone helped me remove the parts from mine, just run it around the inside joint and slowly the parts came apart so no need to use a knife.

When I was looking at the inside of the parts and contemplating the knife way, I saw that there was the tell tail signs of (Paul's favourite glue) :superlglue: the white residue that is left behind after the vapours have attacked oils left behind my fingers.

If you haven't got any acetone then (nail polish remover) my do it but this is a lower % of the acetone.

Be careful - straight acetone may discolour or damage the parts, so do this at your own risk.
Mustang
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby platty » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:31 am

This partwork series has just been released into the Australian market and unbelievably this error is still replicated in the parts as supplied.

Yes it's a relatively easy fix but ... me thinks it's also a relatively easy manufacturing fix in the factory as well :angry-banghead:
platty
Cadet

Return to General discussions