Postby PhoenixPiper » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:36 pm

Thanks guys :D
PhoenixPiper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Re: Gloster Gladiator Mk.1 Build

Postby PhoenixPiper » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:35 pm

Hello again friends. Im back for another installment :) YAY

So I started this session off by cutting out the outer ring of the engine. This had a middle piece that needed removing before any painting. I also had to join together two halves of the inner ring and sand the joins. After this i could then glue to the rings together and paint them. I must admit I absolutely love the contrast of the Copper against the sea green.

My next step was to paint the lower wings whilst I waited for the above parts to dry.

Now I started on the rotary. This involved painting it with a thin layer of charcoal grey and then dry brushing with aluminium so that the small details can stand out and really demonstrate the intricacy of it.
(half painted black)
(with dry brushing)

At this point I was now close to finishing the engine. I painted the propeller in earth brown. The nose was meant to be a sea green colour but I felt that copper would suit it best and really show off how it was a fresh new engine idea of the time. I have consdered edgign the propeller blades in copper too. What are your opinions?

The tricky part came when I put it all together. This was because the rotary was a nice snug fit into the ring so to be able to put it in straight, far enough and in the right orientation took a bit of time. i eventually got there after several attempts and finally added the propeller. This is now ready for use later on in the build.

This next bit i really enjoyed as the build has really shown itself coming to life. This was loading the ammunition to the aircraft. Once they were glued in place i pained them with a defined black nozzle and a bright aluminium casing. It was also at this point that I did the shading on the lower wing..

Now... this is the bit where every modelers heart would sink. Getting this far into a build and finding a big problem. The struts I had put on previously were facing the wrong way... The only thing i could do was to carefully lift the engine panel, remove the struts and replace them correctly. Luckily it worked and we were back in business. Phew! I could now add the painted struts to the lower wing and get them into position for the top wing.

I had now moved onto painting and shading the top wing to be mounted onto the struts. The left hand strut is bent a little because when i was glueing the wing into place i applied a little too much pressure (due to the strut being ever so slightly too small). I have managed to reshape it as much as possible but still isn't quite there.

That's everything from today. My plan for next time is to paint and attach the wheels. Once this is done I can do some paint touch ups and start decals.
PhoenixPiper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby royjess » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:31 pm

It's coming along nicely, I think the copper looks great. I know that you had to refit some of the wing supports as you fitted these back to front and you snapped one of them, but you've done a great job in correcting and fixing these. Well done!
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby number1 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:59 pm

Glad you managed to fix the struts, coming along nicely :clap: :clap: :clap:
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby PhoenixPiper » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:12 pm

I haven't posted in a while but I have been busy with college. However, I have managed to get a lot done!!

Firstly, I decided to add the extra detailing on the propeller blades with a copper edging.

Next, some bits (admittedly i dont know what they are) were glued into place onto the engine. They were very fiddly!!

The engine was then glued into place.

Another addition was when I painted the front wheels, I included my initials as part of the design.

The wheels were then glued onto their mounts so that they were straight and parallel to one another. However, the mounts ended up being unaligned slightly.

The back wheel was also added. This took several attempts to get the paintwork precise and for the wheel to set into place because it is so small and delicate.

Now was the fun part. Decals. I used a humbrol decal fix for this. The process involved softening the decals in water and transferring them to the build before a thin layer of fix was applied. I had many small decals that were tricky to do as they had to be a certain way up but kept getting caught on things like the brush and my fingers!
The lighting doesn't do the decals justice neither does the shine from the fix. I am hoping that after a coat of matt varnish that will solve that problem.

All I have left to do now is the varnish and the rigging.
PhoenixPiper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby casper » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 pm

Doing a really great job, love the prop nice touch using copper
almost there now :clap: :clap: :)
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:08 am

Brilliant job :dance: :clap: :clap: Love the initials on the wheels as a personal touch. The decals went on well.

Nice to see another entry nearly finished :D
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby royjess » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:14 pm

Excellent and well done :clap: :clap: :clap: I'm very impress with your build, the air cadets have taught you well and as always the photos do not do what you have done any justice.

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby PhoenixPiper » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:01 am

So tonight I had the panic of the competition ending tomorrow and still having the fiddly rigging to be done!

After many attempts at cutting the thread to size, waiting for the glue to set, desperately getting the lines taught (and a lot of shouting and swearing), I finally managed to complete my model.

What I decided to do with the rigging was use grey thread that matched the aluminium struts, cut a rough length, glue one end then cut to size and glue the other end. My hero in all of this was the superglue and a blunt cocktail stick

PhoenixPiper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby royjess » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:23 am

Wow! You've certainly done a neat job on the rigging, especially considering that this is the very first time you have applied rigging to a plane. Well done! :clap: :clap: :clap:

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mustang » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:20 pm

Congrats phoenixpiper on a very nice little model, impressed with the engine detail. :clap:
Mustang
Major General
Major General

Postby casper » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:29 pm

very impressed with your Gladiator :clap: :clap: and well done doing the rigging, I should have done mine on the Fokker but after the lozenge pattern I don't think my eyes could take it :shifty: :)
very well done phoenix piper
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:16 am

Nice job on the rigging. Not easy on a 1/72 model :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Xmas Competition 2015