Zoukei-Mura Do 335 A-12

News about new releases and kit reviews

Zoukei-Mura Do 335 A-12

Sponsor

Sponsor

Zoukei-Mura Do 335 A-12

Postby snapdragon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:35 pm

Zoukei-Mura release their latest 1/32 kit, the Dornier Do-335 officially in a couple of days, but those who went to the IPMS show at Telford were able to pre-order and get at the show a little early along with all the AM goodies.

This release is a reboxing of the A0 variant from it's 2016 release with two extra sprues that adds an extra cockpit in place of the fuel tank just behind the pilot. That cockpit is where the instructor sat and has a much cut down cockpit in there with blind flying IP etc.

You can build the A0 kit as it is complete with the two extra sprues. It is well up to their high standards and by using the now familiar opaque exterior parts and highly detailed interior, including two engines gives the modeller the option of choosing just how to display this bird.

On opening the box it is stuffed full... and the box is bigger than A3 size!!

This model is a big beast and some of the sprues are bigger than A3 card which I normally photograph against. Also my apologies if some of the pictures are not up to my usual standard. Let's look at the box contents along with a couple of close ups!

The photo below is one of the new sprues. It has all the replacement exterior parts including alternate parts for a closed or open canopies.

This is the standard canopy again with open and closed options with the front section on a different sprue.

not my best picture, but the "glass" is crystal clear and the detail is superb. The frames will look great with paint on them

This is the other new sprue and provides parts for the second cockpit. Seatbelts for both seats have been moulded separately. you can also purchase AM sets for Luftwaffe aircraft from HGW and other places.

Two engines... two sprues. These build up to provide great detailed engines along with pipework and the exhaust stubs are hollowed out enough to give the illusion when painted of full depth.

you get two build manuals. The main build one that takes you through the A0 build and an additional one that provides the instructions for the A12 cockpit. They are ZM's usual fabulous instructions with so much detail and little extras you feel like you are on the actual assembly line and for both the A0 and A12 you can tell that original maintainance manuals as well as the surviving aircraft have been well and truly inspected.

I recommend that lots of time is spent with both books and the kit so you know just exactly how the build is going to go, when you need to swap between the manuals and to plan just how you are going to finish this bird.

To finish off this box there are two sheets of decals. One for the aircraft and an extra one for the second cockpit. both have decal dials for the IP etc.

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/bFsGUGY.jpg)

two masking sheets for the canopies etc

That's the box contents. if you use Vallejo's Luftwaffe set, Luftwaffe Colors 1941 to end-war and add the few that are not in the set plus some metal colour paints then a stunning result can be obtained!

I took the opportunity to purchase the cockpit set for this kit which is two coloured etched frets.

The etched and coloured seatbelts look very good and I shall probably use them.

This is a tricycle undercarriage aircraft and ZM say quite late in the instructions that you need to add 50g of weight to make it sit properly. They don't provide it or say where to put it and so the wise modeller will spend time deciding on just how and where to put the weight. Hong Kong Models provided a weight moulded to sit inside the front engine in their kit. While the kit undercarriage parts look very sturdy I think that the metal extras set would be a worthwhile add on.

ZM get 10/10. This retails for about £160 and is worth every bit of it! I do expect to see some stunning builds around the net once this starts getting to people!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Return to Model previews and reviews