Meng Fokker Dr.1 Triplane

News about new releases and kit reviews

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:39 pm

I've got my grubby little mitts on the Meng Fokker Triplane. As everybody knows, this was supposed to be the Wingnut Wings, but they have gone bust. Strangely, their web site is still alive, ad there's lots of good reference material on it. Worth downloading while it's still available.

So, what of the kit? Is it a Wingnut Wings kit in a different box? Well, yes and no! Firstly, it's a lot cheaper. I got my copy fromHobbyEasy, my local retailer, for about £28! It would have been rude not to buy it at that price! The UK price is £70, which is a bit cheaper than what WnW would have probably sold it for, but not a lot.

The box art is nice. Good start.

ImageUntitled by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

Two main sprues. The first with the fun and wings.

The second with the cockpit and all the details.

Then there are three smaller sprues with the engine and some optical pieces for different versions.

A small clear sprue. Very nice, and crystal clear.

A small etched fret with seat belts and machine gun jackets.

A nice decal sheet.

Let's have a closer look.

The texture on the wings is beautiful. Certainly WnWs standard.

Some detail inside the fuz. I think those ejector pin marks are hidden in the finished model.

The cockpit frame is typical WnW style construction, and nicely executed. Those ejector pin marks are hidden in the finished kit.

Nicely moulded machine guns, both with and without the jacket so rolling the etched jacket is optional. Again,WnW style. It' definitely a WnW tooling.

Another random close-up or two.

The engine is very crisp.

Now it all goes downhill somewhat with the instructions. You know how the WnW's instructions were almost a book in their own right, complete with lots of reference pics, information about individual aircraft etc. Printed on really high quality thick paper. A real pleasure to read. Well, the Meng offering is a complete let down. It's printed on cheap, flimsy paper. No reference photos. No rigging instructions AT ALL!! It feels like a child's comic. Awful!!

The layout is sort of vaguely copying WnW's style, but misses the mark!

Here's a genuine WnWs instruction book for comparison.

The Red Baron colour scheme is OK, printed in colour and look quite nice.

However, the stripes of Ltn We're Voss's aircraft are very questionable printed. They are shown as very crisp every strips.

However, the real aircraft seems to be brushed streaks, not at all even. There are some original photos in the web page linked below.

http://www.letletlet-warplanes.com/2008 ... uper-hero/

In summary, the plastic is Wingnut Wings standard, and is excellent. However, it's badly let down by flimsy instructions, missing the rigging details.
The colour schemes (there are 4 in all) are a nice variation, but you need to go hunting for references to get an accurate finish. I suppose that's true of most kits. We were just spoilt with WnWs including references in the instructions. It will produce a very nice model, and is it worth paying a premium for nice instructions? Well, at £28, I can put up with comic book instructions :lol:

Frankly, I don't think we will see any more WW1 kits of this quality from Meng. Judging by the instructions, I don't think they have the ability to produce such well researched and engineered kits. Their armour kits are good, and obviously their moulding technology is very good. I just don't think they can research or engineer a kit as well as WnWs did.

Is it fair to compare them to Wingnut Wings at all? For this kit, Yes. Probably not if they make any future WW1 aircraft releases.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Meng Fokker Dr.1 Triplane

Postby steve131 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:59 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Very nice bargain at £28 think 70 a bit much though :think: .Andy's hobbies don't like instructions either. Damn shame Wingnut followed the Dodo like you say be interesting following Meng future releases. Eagerly awaiting build blog. I know Morris just done three but think Mrs Morris should be kind :lol: :lol: .
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Morris » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:54 pm

Looking at what Mark laid out.....this kit runs circles around the old 1/28 Revell ones I built recently -
Morris
Hachette Spitfire Mk1a partworks up to including issues 47-50
DeAgonstini Ford GT40 part work pack 9
Agora Models 427 AC Cobra pack 3
Sort of advanced work on vehicles and equipment for a B-29 Enola Gay diorama...
1/48 Sea Sprite helicopter
Morris
Captain
Captain

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:27 am

I had made a small start to this kit, then I discovered that Eduard has released an etched set. So I put it on hold, but the etched set should be delivered soon. Then I’ll restart the project.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:16 pm

Just realised that Meng have omitted the Axial logos for the prop from the decal sheet :angry-banghead:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby number1 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:57 pm

https://www.aviattic.co.uk/ have you seen this site before? loads of different schemes for the fokker, mainly for the Roden version though, worth a look.
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:37 pm

number1 wrote:https://www.aviattic.co.uk/ have you seen this site before? loads of different schemes for the fokker, mainly for the Roden version though, worth a look.

That’s a new one on me. Some very nice decals, and some nice schemes for the Meng kit now.
But, £20 postage to Hong Kong is a killer! Otherwise I’d be tempted!
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Model previews and reviews