ZM MODEL KITS - PLACE TO DISCUSS AND DROOL....

News about new releases and kit reviews

Re: ZM MODEL KITS - PLACE TO DISCUSS AND DROOL....

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby chill » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:04 pm

Wow that is a big Lancastereo then :o

Shut up and take my money ,that's at the top of my bucket list
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby Chadders87 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:57 pm

snapdragon wrote:...there will be ... Dambuster Lanc

You had me at Hello. Where do I pre-order :lol:
Building: , Deagostini Mustang GT-500, Revell Routemaster
Built: Tamiya Kawasaki ZXRR, Revell Rolls Royce Continental II Phantom, Tamiya Suzuki RGV-1
Stashed: HMS Victory's Cross Section
Chadders87
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:18 pm

OK... there is now a thread for HKM, so less about them here!

Back to ZM!

The Old Man (ZM's boss) has posted again on his blog about the forthcoming Dornier 335. After building HKM's B2 and waiting for their own "A" I am looking forwards to ZM's 335 A too as it looks to be fantastic.

It should be with us in May and the Old Man himself is doing the final checks on a test shot and building one up.

http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/sentiment/oyajiblog_076.html

For those who don't know, THis aircraft is a beast and just about the same size as the venerable Mossie. Also, looking at this kit, what I saw of it at Telford and the few test build photos on the blog this looks like one to go in the stash.

Like the Horten it has a clear skin which gives builders so much opportunity for different display options and look like this will be a feature now in future kits. It does make things slightly harder to paint but in the end you will get there.

I have already emailed the Old Man asking for a test shot and telling him that I will be placing an order for Telford. I am thinking also that although it hasn't been mentioned yet in the Old Man's Blog that there will be a couple of Butcher Birds later this year too. I hope in time for Telford. I could be spending a lot of money at the ZM stand, amongst others!

If you are going to order one of these Dorniers then I would well recommend getting the metal landing gear optional extra. From experience I do know that the HKM Dornier is a big and heavy beast and so replacing the kit plastic ones with metal ones is really a good thing to consider.

I do need to replace the Horten of which my Nephew managed to break (and I wasn't all that happy with my engine painting with the Alclad Laquers that caused me so much trouble by not drying) and overall finish as for some reason The matt varnish decided to give off a white bloom. I also do need to get a new Hs 219 UHU too! - I just don't know where it went to!

Ok.. so I have the two TA 152's in my stash and the Shinden. I need to get AM parts for them and for the shinden metal undercart is a must. My already built shinden has a problem standing on the plastic kit undercart and one side is broken. I am going to salvage this one by getting an extra metal set and seeing if I can replace it. If that works then the stash one will be built as a jet engine counterpart.

I need to replace my Raiden too. When I was building that I think my PTSD struck and the kit didn't survive it. Thankfully now episodes are very few and far between and lots more things are surviving and getting finished. I also might add the two skyraiders to my list as well. It all just depends on MONEY!

That's all for now. Take a look at the Old Man's Blog. I think this one's going to be a hot seller!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:36 pm

Lovely kit like you say Snapdragon ,also some sage advice from the OldMan on how to get one ,my favourite was inpregnate the Wife (will give it go tonight ;) )
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:18 pm

The actual word was Impregnable!

However! if you try and impregnate without permission you may find your wife impregnable. This may mean sleeping on the sofa or next to the dog. On the totally worst side it may mean an eye-watering trip to the hospital to jave things repaired or sewn back on with lots of smirking involved!

It could also mean that if a woman is impregnable it may not be possible to impregnate and any gestures towards this may be a total waste of time that could be spent at your workbench doing something far more constructive.

Negotiation is always a much better idea than a tactical assault at night with an electric blanket!

I will NOT be held responsible for a black eye, reconstructive surgery or a couple of items nailed to the bathroom door!

PS... This is a family friendly forum so any children who know most of these words are either well educated or cheating by using a dictionary!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:06 pm

ZM have announced pre-order details for their Dornier 335 A

The price for this big kit will be 18,144 Yen. that is £112.50 in real money (approx. depending on exchange rates.

Preorders from the Volks website (ZM webshop) from March 12 - May 01. Delivery starting from May 18th sequentially.

https://www.volks.co.jp/page_ex.jsp?CONTROLID=SC0040&BUSINESSID=InitDisp&jancd=4518992529103&version=en

No optional extras have been announced as yet.

NOTE:
If you purchase from this website you WILL incur import& VAT taxes and collection charges from UK Customs and Post office, payable BEFORE they deliver the kit.

Those going to Telford - there should be a pre-order for Telford later this year and this should be available on it. it is for me a preferable one as it negates taxes and the kit may have a little discount on it. It looks like a cracking kit from what I have seen.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:06 pm

Another update on the Old Man's blog for the DO 335.

This time it focuses on the engines.

http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/sentiment/oyajiblog_077.html
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:39 pm

I see they are releasing a Phantom F-4J in the summer too. In 1/48 scale. Personally I'd prefer 1/32, but perhaps that will follow later. In any case, I'm sure it will be well worth building :D
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:04 pm

Indeed, Mark. There is a 1/48 phantom on the way for summer. This has upset some ZM fans who were expecting it to be 1/32.

However, although this is the ZM thread it should be noted that Hong Kong models are working on 1/32 UK F4 Phantoms with RR Spey engines. No projected release date has been set and these are still in the research and development phase as they are busy with B-17 E/F and Lancaster BIII at this moment in time.

The Old Man at ZM has updated his blog with a closer look at the cockpit of the Dornier

http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/sentiment/oyajiblog_078.html

While I have no idea of the exact cockpit/fuselage breakdown the parts seem to be highly detailed and if I had to guess there is not much difference between the forthcoming ZM kit and HK's kit although I get the feeling that HK's kit is probably a little more simplified build, but there doesn't seem to be much in it. Time will tell and Although I have build HK's B variant I want both ZM's and HKM's A variant in my stash to build up.

I enjoy reading the old man's blog as it gives us more insight into the kit prior to getting it.

I do look forwards also to the FW 190 series that are coming from ZM too. They may be with us in time for Telford - but Like all responsible firms... they are ready when the boss is happy with it!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:56 pm

Very nice ,i see in the blog pre orders coming soon, are you ready to pre order for one to land in God's own country :?:Did you see the Old Man says use extra thin cement on it.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby steve131 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:58 pm

Sent ZM an email about their DO 335 saying what a nice kit it is ,got a personal email from the Old Man thanking me for my support ,nice touch from them I thought ,much continued success for their company. :dance: :clap:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:02 pm

Another episode of the Old Mans Blog has gone up focusing on the wings

http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/sentiment/oyajiblog_079.html

Indeed, one, possibly two of these will find themselves a home here in God's own country, but probably not until Telford in November. The reason is this that they will put the full price you paid on the customs sticker and then UK cusroms will treat is like an import because it is over £15 ( the limit you can pay for goods brought in - even from your holidays) and slap an import tax, VAT and the post office will add a charge for collecting that money BEFORE they will deliver in total around 50% extra will be added in taxes to the kit.

This is why I only now pre-order in exceptional circumstances and would rather place an order to be collected from Telford in November and pay cash. If I need any optional extras I try and factor in those to my order or purchase direct from the website trying to keep the total under £15. Most of the extras do cost under £15 but if they cost over I look around their friend shops in Europe to find the best price.

The Do 335 is certainly looking like a gem of a kit and I think will be popular, also upcoming probably later this year are the two FW-190 kits - Basic and Standard. These should be crackers two.

It is not unusual for me to spend £400-£500 just at the ZM stand at Telford. Last year I didn't get as much stuff as I wanted, although I covered my orders as I had to stay over for the full event and the hotel sucked a lot of money - just short of £300 just for 2 nights which I think is extortionate.

This year I will be only going on the Saturday and will just require about £50 in travelling expenses on the train. I reckon it's the cheapest option as you have to pay parking fees if you go by car and quite often have quite a distance to walk to the venue. The train station is not too far away and there is a shuttle bus that runs during show hours and is free. All I have to do is make sure I can carry my haul and know the train times and station changes. If you want to use a taxi then the charges change between firms. Use the online Yellow pages to pre-book one and arrange the cost. Some firms will charge £4.50, some £5.

Again the catering options on site are eye wateringly extortionate for both food and drink, but there are cheaper options close by outside the venue. I didn't think much to the food quality at the venue and was more than happy to find a greggs at the shopping mall close to the venue. A couple of sausage rolls, Cheese and onion Pasty and a tuna sub and I was happy for the day.

It works for me to buy ZM's stuff at Telford because I don't end up feeding the tax man with money I can use elsewhere and arguing the toss with the post office/Royal Mail. I'm much happier meeting up with the ZM gang and having a chat with them and saying hi as well as being able to order what I want and have it waiting to be collected at a much more reasonable price. Sometimes the Old Man puts in an appearance, but he doesn't like Dubai airport because he got lost there. That's nothing new for a lot of travellers passing through that place. This is why we haven't seen him at Telford for the past couple of years. I do hope that he braves Dubai and comes this year.

My only problem is getting the stuff back home! Military go bags and other stuff like that is my choice. Everything you need for a six month tour of duty abroad can be got into one of those things.,.... but not everything I buy at Telford! Coming back on the train I look like I am moving house!

Steve, The old man always responds to fans who writes to him. He uses an interpreter as he doesn't speak English (Engrish!) to translate the letter and reply He loves to hear from them.

So, for those hovering over the DO-335. If you watched my HKM build of the B variant then this should be on your list as it is a more in depth build. Both kits are indeed stunning jobs and will sit happily next to each other on a shelf... but you will need quite a large on as they are not small kits

I wonder if Morrigan has the Dornier 335 in her sights! If she has then I am sure that when she does it then it will be a superb build.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:48 pm

For those interested in getting thhe Dornier 335 or any other ZM kit.

There is one "friend" shop here in the UK- The Hobby Shop,

http://www.hobb-e-mail.com/index.php?c=search&search=sws%20mch1&s=20

The official RRP from ZM's own online store (Volks Japan) is 18,144 Yen (with Tax) Using live rates this translates as £114.25.

THe Hobby Stores UK Pre-order price is £160

http://www.hobb-e-mail.com/sws-3210-preview.html

This is what I estimate it to be once Customs and the Tax man have finished grabbing. Also I reckon that the prices of ZM kits to be a little high at this shop, but at least if you don't mind the prices it's a place where you can get stuff.

RB productions in Ireland don't have the DO-335 pre-order yet, but they do stock ZM kits. They order twice a month from ZM so even if it says out of stock then I think that with the exchange rate RB's prices are a bit better.

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=127_128
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:58 pm

snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:38 pm

Sure is a stunner ,surprised that you either weight nose or pole support back thought old man would have sorted that :? What will be Yorkshires display choice . Old Man good business sense when he said clear tail panels look good ,why not buy two to show painted option :lol:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:37 pm

I am considering two. It very much depends on Telford prices and availability of bearers :laughing-rolling:

As is the usual thing for me I will be using the nose weight I don't like the tail pole thing. Always like to see them sitting on all legs.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:59 am

The clear pole is a handy resort if you don't add quite enough weight (or forget completely :laughing-rolling: )

Mind, as a kid, all my aircraft were hung from the bedroom ceiling, so it didn't matter :lol:
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:04 pm

Another great Old Man update on his blog. Another British friend shop now easier for you to get a squadron of ZM planes Snapdragon :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby steve131 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:41 pm

Asked the Old Man for an ME 323 Gigant , he said it would bankrupt him but said he's thinking of more Luftwaffe subjects :dance:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Gundog » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:14 pm

steve131 wrote:Asked the Old Man for an ME 323 Gigant , he said it would bankrupt him but said he's thinking of more Luftwaffe subjects :dance:

:laughing-rolling: . But seriously folks, a Ju88 or a Do17 would be nice. They're re-building a Dornier at Cosford from a wreck that was found a couple of years ago. And the Ju88 C6 at Hendon is undressed for essential repairs in preparation for the Battle of Britain 80th anniversary.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

In the stash: Way too much
Gundog
Major
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Model previews and reviews