Hong Kong Models - A place to discuss and drool

News about new releases and kit reviews

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:04 am

Hong Kong Models (HKM) are a relative newcomer onto the large scale models scene, but they have already produced some good kits. Their appearance and startup was marred by the roumour mill regarding 1/32 B-25's that were for all accounts and purposes being developed in Holland.

I am not going to get involved in all that because I don't know all the facts involved with the rumour and hear-say. Just lets say that they brought the B-25 in 1/32 to us and then have gone on to produce 2 more B-25 variants, a Mossie bomber and a massive B-17-G.

Their recent Do-335 Pfeil (Arrow) is a great kit too and HKM are going on from strength to strength and gaining ground in the Large scale model world. Their first Dornier 335 was the B2 variant which includes both standard and extended wing tips and according to HKM their A variant should be with us but I have not noticed it being available as yet.

They have also coming shortly a B-17 E/F kit of which some CAD pictures of the nose has been put on their facebook page, but no date for release. Their most anticipated release this year and it is a big one will be their Lancaster Bomber in 1/32 scale. It is scheduled for June/July 2016 and should be a big seller. There is no indication on the price point at this moment, but I think that it will command a premium price but should be chock full of stunning detail.

Let's face it, who doesn't want a large scale Lancaster flying across their bedroom ceiling with it's bomb bay open and stuffed full of ordnance?

There should be, I am led to believe, 3 Lancaster kits. a Mk I/III, a Mk I. Special "Dambuster" and Grand Slam/Tallboy versions with a possibility of a Mk II with Bristol Hercules engines hinted at (but I am not sure!). The Lancaster is their primary focus at this moment in time.

THeir recent Mossie B IV bomber variant was an interesting build and showed some very innovating thinking reguarding moulding techniques. Those that followed my builds and also saw them at Telford know that it is a highly detailed kit with the only let down is the Merlin engines that have no associated pipework and were just basic engines with excellent detail on the blocks etc. Compare them to the Merlins in Tamiya's 1/32 Mossie FB VI and the Tamiya Merlins have it hands down!

I do hope that HKM will provide 4 Merlins with the same detailing as the Tamiya engines or it will spoil the kit.

They also have a two stage version in the works too and possibly a highball variant, but that's not confirmed.

To come in the future They have hinted at JU -52 transport and C-47 skytrain both in civilian and military versions. Also a B-25 version of the Doolittle raid and some 1/32 RAF F4 Phantom variants.

Their Meteor kit is a very basic kit, but it does build out to be a good looking model. There are no engines in the kit and a basic cockpit. Neil hinted that when they did that he hoped that AM companies would fill in the obvious gaps. Profimodeller have done some resin engines but they suffer from major fit problems. I would like to see HKM go back and redo this kit and pack it with detail and also produce some other Meteor variants. as well as early jets in 1/32

I do know that there are other things in the works, but as they haven't been announced then I can't discuss them, but needless to say, once it's public knowledge then off we go.

I would like to see HKM stick with the large bombers and produce a B-29 superfortress with a large atomic bomb in the bay and many other bombers. I would like them to take revel to task and re-do the Luftwaffe Heinkel HE-111, JU-88 and others as well!

Yes... My list is a long one!

if you have a request or idea or can contribute to research for an announced project then go to their facebook page and post.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hong-Kong-Models-Co-Ltd/1375731456009809
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Hong Kong Models - A place to discuss and drool

Postby snapdragon » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:28 am

I do believe that HKM are looking the possibility of their own online shop. They are not happy about importers & distributors setting their own RRP at what HKM sees as too high prices that cuts their sales. They would like to see their own MSRP being used instead of companies setting a RRP. I do know that HKM is not happy with their current UK importer and distributor on their retail pricing and spoke with them at Telford. However, I was told that things have changed but told HKM when I found out that they had set the Do335 A at £162.99 on their website. HKM is furious with UK importer (pocketbond) and Neil tells me that it is way over the top and is not even close to the MSRP set by them.

I look forwards to HKM setting up their own online sales shop. It means that I can buy straight from them at their official retail price. I would willingly pay for shipping because then I am not being ripped off and my money goes directly to them and will fund future developments. I will, of course support my Local Model Shop(s) who always offer me, a good solid customer good prices, but I am not prepared to be ripped off by Importers and distributors.

Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby morrigan » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:27 pm

Civilian C-47? Wheres the line start! May need several as the temptation is strong to make a unique Kiwi variation of the Dak. Actually you might want to make one too Snaps, its got your name all over it!!

:think:
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:04 am

That looks a good mode of transport for Snapdragons Telford stash.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Gundog » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:40 pm

Nah. I think he needs one of these :laughing-rolling:

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

In the stash: Way too much
Gundog
Major
Major

Postby snapdragon » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:37 pm

Not having enough arm space for the telford Haul, Snap arranges for a special delivery.....

But seriously.

I do hope that the 1/32 C-47 Skytrain in both military (paratroop/Cargo)

Civillian

and the unusual....

will be done.

Looking forwards also to a possible JU-52 the same

The E/F Flying fortress is currently in test build phase, no decals have been set yet.

The first Lancaster kit to be released is the B.III. Not sure how far along it is but I do believe the release has been set for June/July.

Also in the future expect a dams raid Lancaster, and a Tallboy/ Grand Slam Lancaster. There may be also a Mk II Lanc witj Briston Hercules radial engines, but that's not confirmed as yet.

A golden age for modellers of all types!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:29 am

An update for you all.

My HKM contact tells me that they are currently in the process of building an online shop where you can buy their kits at HKM's official RRP and not rip off prices that certain importers and distributors set. They are also looking for, or in the process of, signing up a 2nd UK importer who is willing to offer their official RRP to customers here in the UK.

If I had the financial backing I would go for it!

HKM's 1/32 RAF Phantoms are in the cad & R&D phase, so if anyone has technical manuals etc let me know and I can pass them on.

Their forthcoming release of the B-17 E/F will have 3 build options in one box. There will be the E variant and the F variant will have options to install one or two guns plus mounts etc in the glass nose of the aircraft. This should cover all possibilities for the F. Final aircraft specific decals (Memphis Belle etc) have not been released yet. It should make for lots of variations and aircraft on competition tables. - this means that I have to buy and build three more B-17's! :o :D

I have been kicking around some ideas with "Our Man at HKM" and mentioned that it would be a good idea for the C-47 and JU-52 kits to have included all in one box civilian, paratroop, cargo/medevac and floatplane options. This will give builders a big choice in finishing options rather than producing 3 or 4 separate kits of each and one outselling the rest.

I would like feedback on this idea, so feel free to post!

Just as a throw away comment.... Anyone got some good detail and photos of Hitlers own JU-52? That would be an interesting build!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:43 am

Phantom sounds good, would not mind one of them on my stash shelves.

But to be honest I'm holding out for a lanc.
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby steve131 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:55 am

Great news about the HK shop :dance: . It never ceases to amaze me how you constantly tell someone they are ripping you off and their attitude is go away if you don't like it thinking no one will do something about it. Well done Snapdragon and everyone else for telling HK about rip off importers.Good idea about three build options :clap: plenty of pictures of Immelmann ii on net.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:58 am

News from HKM.

They are almost set to release their B-17 E/F and it should hopefully be in May.

Here's a CAD image of the F- Memphis Belle

There will be 3 versions you can build in the kit. the E version and two F versions with different nose armament configurations.

More as news filters through
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Gundog » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:07 pm

I'm going to need a bigger salary (when I get one) :laughing-rolling:

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:37 pm

Gundog wrote:I'm going to need a bigger salary (when I get one) :laughing-rolling:

And a bigger man cave ??
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:21 pm

one will be landing here when it's released!

After this is released, HK will be putting up some CAD images on the Lancaster. It is scheduled for June/July, but may slip due to the sheer amount of work going into the detailing. At this moment they are working on the skin which is going to be as the original - overlapping and raised panels and rivets plus stressed skin
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:33 pm

snapdragon wrote:one will be landing here when it's released!

After this is released, HK will be putting up some CAD images on the Lancaster. It is scheduled for June/July, but may slip due to the sheer amount of work going into the detailing. At this moment they are working on the skin which is going to be as the original - overlapping and raised panels and rivets plus stressed skin

I must admit i am after the lancaster. Almost as much as i want the dragon 1:35 at-at, and the airfix gloster meteor (well two of them hearing nothing but excellent news about it)
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby snapdragon » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:57 pm

My build list just gets longer and longer.

HKM are releasing the B-17 E/F in May and hopefully the Lancaster in June/July. There are also several other kits in the pipeline which I can say that there are some 1/32 RAF phantoms currently on the boards and some others which will or may excite builders with the possibilities and options in the kit box.

I am just waiting for service and maintainance manuals for the Merlin xx series (Lancaster) and the RR Spey (military version) to drop through my letterbox so I can send them over to HKM.

I am on the track of some other technical manuals at the moment and I think that if ideas that gave been kicked around come to pass then transport fans of some iconic ww2 aircraft will be in for a real treat. But not for a while yet still in the early stages for those and I can see some fascinating dioramas from builders in the future.

However, if anyone has excellent reference photos of the Merlin XX series and Phantom Spey engine and would like to donate copes to HKM to go alongside the technical manuals then pm me or post here. Any help is always appreciated by HKM.

Anyone who has seen my HKM Mosqito builds will more than likely agree that the Merlins were very bare bones but nicely detailed and I think that - or I hope that - HKM are going to detail up these to rival Tamiyas Merlins. HKM tell me that the bare bones Merlins were deliberate and they hoped that an aftermarket vendor would jump on the opportunity to provide the piping etc. Sadly this didn't happen and as far as I am concerned it's the only let down in a fantastic kit with some novel thinking behind it.

I am looking forwards to the B-17 E/F arriving and I will obviously post here with pictures.

The Lancaster is the one which is eagerly awaited by many modellers and HKM are striving to get it 110% right with full interior and exterior similar to Airfix's 1/24 Tiffy. Even if the release slips I think that it will be well worth waiting for. Time will tell and when CAD images are released onto Facebook I think that we will be in for a real surprise which will have builders reaching for wallets, kidneys and other saleable items.

It may be possible at Telford that HKM will have a shop there this year selling their kits at a reasonable price.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:59 am

There is a very interesting question on HKM's Facebook page and it's something I have been discussing with "Our man in Hong Kong".

The question is should a Short Sunderland and Martin Mariner be done in 1/48 or 1/32.

It has provoked quite a response with opinion more or less equally split with some responses asking for different kits! :angry-banghead:

Now my response to this is that these aircraft are huge in real life, with the Sunderland being bigger than the upcoming Lancaster.

Of course the opportunity to build these in 1/32 should not be missed but then comes the inevitable question "Where are you going to put it?" You have walls and a ceiling don't you? :laughing-rolling:

This large beast then becomes not just a model kit but a piece of art - unusual art.

Of course I have responded to the question on Facebook with 1/32 - anything else is just a toy!

The fact is that these are probably going to be more successful in 1/48 due to size. This does not mean that a 1/32 limited edition kit wouldn't sell. Model makers who would want a 1/32 Sunderland or Mariner would make room and buy a detailed kit of those subjects just to have the opportunity to add to their large scale collection.

Have your say on HKM's Facebook page and post your thoughts here.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Gundog » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:09 am

A 1/32 flying porcupine! :o With a couple of examples available to crawl around and get good references, that should be quite something. How about a 1/32 Fw200 to go alongside it?

Before we go down the road of needing mansion-sized man caves and buttresses on the wall to support the additional weight, can we come back down to ground and have a Beaufighter or a Wimpey?

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby snapdragon » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:06 pm

Further to my post above showing one of the nose options in the upcoming B-17 E/F, Here are the rest of the released CAD drawings.

Starting with the one posted above (sorry, but it's good to see what's coming!)

As a thanks for my technical contribution to this my contact has promised me that he will send me a production test sample as a thank you. This means that when it gets here I will photograph it in nauseating detail and post in this section for you all to see what will be in the kit. What I get and what will actually be in the official retail version may differ slightly, but it is what goes out to the guys who review for magazines etc. NO DATE HAS BEEN GIVEN but it will be in May sometime.

As you can see there are three options in the nose for different gun positions, but in the box there will be only an E and F noses. The differences will be in the bomb aimers clear nose with one for the E nose and 2 for the F nose. the rest of the aircraft is the same. My contact tells me there will be decals for Memphis Belle in the kit but I am not sure which other Fortress' nose art will be included. I am hoping for "Knock Out Dropper" or "Ye Olde Pub".

Of course, Kits World have a considerable amount of E/F decal and stencil sets for the B-17 for about £10 per set.

I'm looking forward to this and also the Lancaster a bit later this year. The Lancaster may slip due to the extra time this has taken and also the massive amount of surface detail going into the Lancaster, but I think that it will be worth the wait!

I will say that while I am not allowed to divulge any more information, I have seen a potential list of seaplanes and it's got me throwing all the old incomplete and stuff I'll never finish out and looking how I can display really large stuff in the upstairs lounge! Maybe the Ikea bookcase/DVD storage can be converted for the big ships.... :idea:

I think I need to work on a custom stacking case system that's about 1m + square with the base being a mirror plus possible some LED lighting that doesn't throw off heat.

I'm still going to have to buy another two to build all the box options!! :laughing-rolling:
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:55 pm

Hope you may consider members of the page and chance to take some of your stuff before you bin it
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby snapdragon » Sun May 01, 2016 12:08 am

You mean photograph the stuff that hasn't made it?
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Model previews and reviews