German Pz.Beob.Wg. IV Ausf.J Medium Tank 00922

News about new releases and kit reviews

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:57 pm

Trumpeter over the past year have delighted large scale tank fans with 4 releases of Panzer IV variants. This tank was the backbone of the German Army during WWII and served on all fronts and was regularly updated with thicker armour and main gun. the series finished with the J variant which is the subject here and was still being built right up to the factories being overrun by allied troops.

The Chassis was also used to produce various other armoured vehicles such as the STUG and anti-aircraft platforms.

As I rummaged though this huge kit (the box is about as large as my suitcase for a long weekend) there are a couple of things which I have noticed, but more on those later as I come to the pictures!

Once the box is opened you are confronted by 4 smaller boxes labelled A-D. I decided on inspection that I would cover each box separately as there are lots of parts.

This Post will cover Box A.

Opening Box A reveals a wealth of multimedia parts including springs, metal barrel, etched frets, decals and the main tank parts. The detail even underneath the lower hull is fantastic and will really good under paint.

I did notice this on the inside of the lower hull (it will be hidden). It says much about these Panzer IV kits

I suspect that all 4 kits will be either the same or very similar builds with the majority of the parts being the same. It's something that really should be expected as these vehicles outwardly didn't change much.

The upper hull has some really nice detail and welding. There maybe some pin marks to deal with inside, this part, but depending on how you want to display this beast you could leave them alone.

The fighting compartment and engine floor is an all in one piece and has some nice moulding on it.

Next is the turret. Once again it has some very nice detailing and weld marks on it.

The turret basket has some nice rivet detail on and some of the extra turret armour is in this box.

Copper rope goes to make all the tow ropes for the vehicle

and 4 springs for.... something!

A turned aluminium barrel is included as well as plastic barrel halves.

We have quite a few etched brass frets. This first one provides parts for the main ammo stowage lockers

Here we have two frets which just had the base of the 75mm ammo.

They are fully engraved and there are 4 types of ammo included. On every etched fret but one in this box has this on.

There are two decal sheets in this kit. One with main exterior decals and one with interior decals for the radio(s) and drivers dials and stenciling for all main gun ammunition.

The last thing in the box is a huge bag of tracks. I am not going to photograph each individual track though.

That concludes the contents of Box A.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: German Pz.Beob.Wg. IV Ausf.J Medium Tank 00922

Postby snapdragon » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:11 pm

Box B has lots of parts for various sections of the tank.

The first out of the box was the clear sprue. It has all the viewport glass and periscopes and has a lot of detail. It's going to be a long job to mask and paint these things!

The rest of the sprues contain elements of the tank including parts of the idler wheels and lots of track pins!

The 2 MG 34's are very detailed but could be improved with Abers replacements. I will have to check first with the mountings etc.

That's it for box B. I have noticed some very slight flash on a couple of parts but it's nothing really in relation to the sheer number of parts in this kit. The parts hare in essence very crisply moulded and it's quite obvious that Trumpeter have used their top grade stuff on this all the way through development and production.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:18 pm

In box C we have lots of sprues that are mostly duplicates.

We have road wheels, side armour and a host of other stuff.

The road wheels are in more than one piece and the rubber tyres are separate, but not rubber. They are a hard black plastic, but have "Continental" on them!.

as in previous boxes the parts are crisply moulded and should go together nicely
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:36 pm

The last box, box D has 9 sprues in it which has a lot of large parts. interior and exterior.

Just a OOB build will provide a lot of detail and produce an accurate representation of this tank. what is missing is all the electric, hydraulic and fuel lines and associated piping, especially in the engine bay.

It's a really good kit from trumpeter. The decals look accurate and in register and the instructions are the usual trumpeter ones that have very few colour call outs including a couple that are dubious, but the seasoned modeller will know to go with other references. Some instructional diagrams will mean some lateral thinking on some assembly sections and plenty of dry fits.

If you do fancy a large Panzer IV in a cabinet then you are not going to go wrong here... and trumpeter have 4 in their range now. Roll on their forthcoming Jagdtiger, Panther and modern T-72 and Abrams. Although with moulds already done for the Panzer IV I hope to see some of the tank destroyer variants in the future. What is really missing in the range is a Tiger I. The Hobbyboss reboxed RC Tiger 1 didn't cut it for me at all and I do hope that Trumpeter will put a 1/16 Tiger 1 with full interior out for us.

Let the build commence!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:19 am

Fantastic looking kit James. Love all the weld detail. It looks very realistic.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:54 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Totes well jell this is a stunner ,blows my Tamiya 35 away :( .Agree they need a Tiger in the stable, some nice armour coming be nice to get full set ;) 8-)
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:48 am

Thanks guys

Methinks Steve is having trouble with English! :think: :think: :laughing-rolling:
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:54 am

:D Children were bothering me whilst trying to type :laughing-rolling: Still uber well jell :lol:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby number1 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Popcorn on order for this one, need a bigger display shelf :D
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby wingnut » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:37 pm

Hello snaps, some great pics ! I'm going to follow your build with great interest.
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Postby chill » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:51 pm

Great kit.

Really am looking forward to seeing the build commerce and a finished tank at the end
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Return to Model previews and reviews