Vallejo Paint Set - Luftwaffe 1941-1945

News about new releases and kit reviews

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:39 pm

The first set to arrive after my spending spree last week is one of Vallejo's paint sets for the Luftwaffe.

This is a 8 colour paint set that covers the Luftwaffe's Western and Eastern Fronts from 1941 to 1945
Inside the box there are 8 Model Air paints and a leaflet that describes the colours and their usage. These colours are correct RLM chipset colours and certified as such by Warnecke & Bohm GmbH & Co who was one of the principal paint suppliers to the Luftwaffe. I don't care what anoraks say, You just can't get as accurate as that! on the back there is some artwork that shows usage.

Ah say some... but it might not be the colour that was actually put onto the aircraft. That's true as there were shade variances by batch and also due to material shortages etc. later in the war. This can be compensated for by altering these colours slightly yourself or by using one of the Scale colour corrected range of paints from AK interactive or Mig Ammo. It is swings and roundabouts for this kind of thing and so long as you are using one of the colours then you are in the right ball park and that is what counts. With the Vallejo sets that are Chip correct then we have a very good base starting point.

So, These are the colours that are included in the set:

RLM 66 - 71055
RLM 74 - 71258
RLM 75 - 71259
RLM 76 - 71257
RLM 81 - 71264
RLM 82 - 71022
RLM 83 - 71011
RLM 84 - 71103

They are also all available as single bottles from the Model Air range.

8 plastic spoons have been sacrificed to the paint gods to provide you with a good look at the colours. Each colour was sprayed through a 0.4mm nozzle undiluted and straight from the bottle after a damn good shaking. the airbrush was fully cleaned after every colour to prevent cross contamination. Photographs were taken with a Nikon D700 without flash under daylight grade lighting. The airbrush was set at 18-20 psi and the paint sprayed on until full coverage and depth was gained.

RLM 66
Used in cockpits only from 1941. Some Experts say there was a lighter shade used late in the war but this could be a shade difference because of materiel shortages.

RLM 74
Used in standard camouflage for day Fighters from 1941 in the combination 74, 75, 76. Sometimes with mottled fuselage sides in 02,74 &75.

RLM 75
Lighter than RLM 74 used in standard day fighter camouflage from 1941 in 74, 75, 76. Sometimes with mottled fuselage sides in 02,74 &75. Frequently used on Nightfighters in the shape of stains and lines on the 76 background. Also used with late war greens (Late 1944 & 1945) in RLM 75, 82, 76 or 75, 83, 76.

RLM 76
Used in standard day fighter Camouflage from 1941 in the combination 74, 75, 76. Frequently used on nightfighter and also overall on high altitude fighters (ME-109 G-10). Used cuntil the end of the war for undersurfaces in combination with series 80 shades (81, 82, 83). Due to production disruption and material shortages shade variations became more widespread towards the end of the war. The variants have been classified as RLM 84 but this never officially existed.

RLM 81
One of the most usual colours from the end of 1944 in combination 81,82,83. There were a few shades One olive green (exactly the same colour as the USAAF olive drab a very dark brownish green and a dark red green.

RLM 82
One of the most usual colours from the end of 1944 in combination 81,82,83. Some writers identify this colour as RLM 83. there were at least 3 variants, some darker than others.

RLM 83
One of the colours used since the end of 1944 in the 81,82,83 combination Some experts mention this as RLM 83. There were 2 variants onw darker than the other.

RLM 84
This is a ficticious code and refers to the varying shades mixed on airfields where the majority of aircraft were painted by the ground crews using paints in the stores due to shortages. Shades similar to RAF sky were usually used.

This set should see most Luftwaffe modellers happy for painting mid to end war aircraft.

Here's the full set together.

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Vallejo Paint Set - Luftwaffe 1941-1945

Postby Mark » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:46 am

Nice review James. While wandering about the web looking for more info on RLM84 I came across a post made by you on FSM in 2011 where you mention finding and restoring an original Panzer V Tank.

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_su ... 38929.aspx

"About 6 years ago I was luchy enough to find a very late war Panzer V Panther 'G' tank in a river in East Germany while on holiday and swimming in a river.

I am slowly restoring this tank to fully working condition and have managed to get the engine running after the best side of 70 years sunk in mud at the bottom of a river. The Panther, on recovery still had full paint and markings on and as one of the recovery crew said that if it wasn't for a siezed engine you could dry it out, clean it up, fuel, oil and water it and then drive it away!"

Any news on that project. I'm know we'd all be interested to hear how it's going.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:42 am

I see a DO 335 on box good excuse to get ZM ones now 8-) . Glad Mark saw your Panther article was a good read and rember being uber jell you had one :mrgreen: 8-)
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:05 pm

The panther is fully restored and on loan to the Panzer museum in Germany where it is taken for a walk frequently It sits beside the museums own Panther which has just slightly different camouflage colours.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2r4y5l

Back to paints.

The rest of the paint order arrived from Spain today and consists of:

RAF Colors Special “Battle of Britain”
US Army Air Corps Colors (ETO) WWII
IJN Colors Pre-War to 1945

Each set has 8 colours in them and some paints are unique to the set and cannot be bought as single bottles.

I will review them as soon as I have enough spoons!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:32 pm

What you going to use Battle of Britain paint on :?:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:32 pm

I have in my stash this

http://www.revell.de/en/products/model-building/aircraft/world-war-ii/id/03986.html

There is no engine in the kit (shame) and some corrections to be done but with Eduard sets and some other AM parts then a reasonable BoB Mk IIa spit can be produced.

There are some surprises in Vallejo's Battle of Britain special edition paint set.... more though when I review it.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:07 pm

Always wondered why these were so cheap, no engine explains it. Good kits though got two Arado s (with engine ) myself.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby steve131 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:11 pm

Do Vallejo have a plane engine set for Luftwaffe, and if not what colour is a Jumo 211 :?:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:47 pm

Vallejo don't have an engine set.

Most German engines were black

snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:41 am

Thanks for help 8-)
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:20 am

No problems - that's why we're all here!

... what are you up to?
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:46 pm

If you don't mind a suggestion, go for a very dark grey rather than black. Black things rarely look jet black in real life. If you look carefully at the photo of the engine, there are all sorts on shades of grey there. It's only really black in the shadows.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby baby_astons » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:43 pm

second that mark, small surfaces tend to appear darker when painted the same colour as the large original -
that is true to shiny model cars but even more on semi-matte or matte surfaces...
I know some model paint companies take that in account when mixing the colours but there are two colours which don't get that treatment: white and black...
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby snapdragon » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:03 pm

RLM paint orders from 1938 specify RLM 22 Black for engine bodies, cases etc. in the photo above it is actually the camera being like our eyes and subconscious to lighten areas to try and make out more detail.

This is where Scale Reduction paint has crept in. It started when a modeller at a competition was asked why the model wasn't in particular colours but seemed to be much lighter than it should be. In other words he was being asked why the wrong colours had been used. In desperation he used Scale reduction paint to enhance detail as an excuse.

The way we view colours was explained in great detail by an eye surgeon who is also a model builder while I was on an extended stay in hospital afer an episode with my heart. I had asked for a kit to be brought in for me to work on to relieve the boredom.

Word spread and he visited me and we had a long conversation and his explanation on why scale reduction paint colours are wrong and why they are wrong makes complete sense, but to understand you need to know exactly how the eye and brain work together.

I'll make a long conversation short and simple.

Everybody is different. The human species are not exact replicas of each other. This means that everybody's eyes are different in the way they perceive the world some are born with more rods than cones and some are born the other way round. This makes everyone see colours in a slightly different way some can see lighter shades better than darker shades and some the other way round. Opticians are concerned with the focus of the eyes and not with the most subtler workings of the eye-brain co-ordination.

What happens does so on a sub-conscious level with out us noticing and the best way of proving this is to take a model of dark colours outside and look at it. Then walk about 20-30 feet away and look again. The brain has a remarkable memory for colours, but something has happened.... the colours look what? Yes... LIGHTER!!!!!!

Why?

Well. let's put it like this without technical terms. the brain memory remembers the shades. shapes and detail..... that's what memories are for. But wait! the brain goes.... it's changed. the object is further away and I can't see all the stuff that was there before.... let's alter the colours until... yes... that's most of it back!

but have the colours REALLY changed on the model?

No! How could they! that's an impossible feat.

put simply the human brain uses light, space and distance to enhance colours either lighter or darker to bring out detail. We don't realise it because it's done on a level that we don't have control of ourselves.

So! Do we need colours changed from original chipsets to put on models to do this effect?

Nope! The human brain is capable of doing that on it's own without help!

I'll keep on with original chipset colours, only referring to "Scale effect" colours when needed because I can't get the original ones.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:06 pm

Many thanks for all the info gents, very interesting. It is bizarre looking at Snaps photo and seeing it change colour. I've got the three Airfix Luftwaffe 1/24 models and instructions for JU 87 say paint engine RLM 66 same as some objects inside cockpit and didn't seem right to me. Interesting story about model making consultant, good too see we're everywhere. :)
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:48 pm

That's the Airfix Stuka.

It's a very long time since I did that!

Ok.. colours. Cockpit RLM02
IP and control panels RLM 66

Engine braces and firewall RLM 02 - in fact if it's anywhere in the interior it's RLM 02!

You could paint the engine RLM 66 but I would go with RLM 22 Black or try the Panzer grey colour Dunkelgrau RAL 7021. It is a very dark grey and could be a very good substitute. you could also try xtreme Metal colours Gunmetal or Jet Exhaust.

Exterior for these aircraft was:

upper surface splinter pattern RLM 70/71
Lower surface RLM 65

This is one of the Spanish Heinkels used in the Battle of Britain movie. They were repainted in the correct Luftwaffe pattern 70/71/65. The colours are a bit off, but it was taken in 1968 and gives you a good idea.

If you can hang on for a couple of days until the other Luftwaffe set comes in and I get some more spoons then I can showcase the colours for you
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:54 am

As ever great information many thanks :clap: ,have you got a Vallejo or Tamiya number for RLM 22 :?:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:30 pm

Interesting explanation James, but I disagree with the thought that the eye sorts out the scale effect itself. The eye actually takes in the whole scene and makes corrections accordingly. That's why a model (debatably) needs paints adjusted for the scale effect. You only see the model in isolation, not the whole scene, so the eye doesn't correct properly.

It's the same reason why the eye can correct for the colour cast caused by different lights. Incandescent light casts a strong orange hue, whereas fluorescent lights will give a greenish hue. Take a photo with the colour balance set wrong and you see this in the photo, but in real life all the colours look correct. That's because the eye corrects based on everything it sees. Looks at the photo and it's looking at a small object in isolation.

You'll also find that colours change depending on the weather; sunny, cloudy, raining, etc. (Anybody who mentions snow gets sent to the naughty corner :laughing-rolling: ). The eye is very clever at making you see what you want to see (Ok, it's the brain, not the eyes) but it doesn't work properly when you're looking at a small model rather than a full field of vision.

Just to confuse things even further, the background will also make a difference. The green of grass will give green reflections and a green hue to the underside of an aircraft, and so on.

Oh, RLM22 is just black - Vallejo 057 or Tamiya X-1, X-18 or XF-1. However, a very dark grey will probably make for a better looking model.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:52 pm

:think: Why do you think dark gray will work better, is it that it will match with splinter camouflage, or eye on small model reason or is it that black just plain :?: Will paint it half and half and ponder, again thanks everyone for taking an interest and help 8-)
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby baby_astons » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:34 pm

probably as shades on a scale model engine that is painted black will be almost absent and detail will most certainly vanish -
if you do it dark grey you still have some chances of having different shades (as seen in the picture posted) - I have painted the 24th scale bf109 engine dark grey and it's also taking the weathering including edge silvering better than black - if you do silver effects on black it's a far too hard contrast...
my tuppence...
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Next

Return to Model previews and reviews