Vallejo USAAF ETO paints

News about new releases and kit reviews

Vallejo USAAF ETO paints

Sponsor

Sponsor

Vallejo USAAF ETO paints

Postby snapdragon » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:59 pm

This paint set provide the colours you need to paint American aircraft in the European Theatre of Operations.

This 8 paint set includes interior green and the anti corrosion yellow.

71.316 N.41 Dark Olive Drab
71.051 Neutral Gray
71.097 Medium Gunship Gray
71.137 US Light Green
71.124 USAF Green
71.016 USAF Olive Drab
71.107 US Interior Yellow
71.062 Aluminium

There is no specific colour just available in this set and all can be bought as seperates but for those doing Amerin aircraft in Europe it is all in here as a good pack to have on hand.

I look forwards to trying these out on my B-17
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Vallejo USAAF ETO paints

Postby Gundog » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:10 pm

With the exception of the olive drab, every paint in this set is available in their regular range, so I can't quite see the point. And I certainly wouldn't use the aluminium over the Metal Color or AK alternative.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

In the stash: Way too much
Gundog
Major
Major

Postby snapdragon » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:01 pm

Sorry Gundog but every paint in this set is available in their regular Model Air range as I said in my review.

http://cdn.acrylicosvallejo.com/e33c56b715c0ac19f96a599a7fde2fb3/CC071-Rev18.pdf

While they are available as separates for those modellers who have never done a USAAF ETO aircraft it is a good way to start off with every paint (and more) all in one set.

While some sets have a colour that is unique to that set they will have a 4 after the 71. such as the Aotake in the IJN set (71.419) and IJN Brown 71.(418).

The model air range is slowly expanding to be really good range with a wide subject coverage.

I do agree with the metal colours. Vallejo's Metal Color and AK's Xtreme Metal ranges are better than the Model air range, but having the Metal Colours from the Model Air range in the paint box makes sense for those times when you just have to use a paint brush to touch up without having to undergo a huge masking operation that takes hours to do.

I will state that Vallejo are my primary go to paints followed by AK interactive (although their Xtreme Metal range is my primary metals one) and lastly MiG Ammo - I find that their paint is not as easy to work with as AK and Vallejo.

I do have some Akan Paints just in but there are problems with them. It is not Akan paints fault, but the Vendor who is being a bit slippery Eel like.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Gundog » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:22 am

Ah, I was assuming 71.316 wouldn't be in their standard range. On the other hand, they seem to have produced new colours for the BoB range, unless they're just trying to confuse me with different codes!

If I get my extraction sorted out, I'm thinking of trying some MRP paints. They're new kids on the block from Czecko. They have a really good range and the reports I've seen suggest the colours are spot-on. They go down really easily at low pressure and are as hard as nails.

...but they're lacquer-based, hence the need for a better spray booth!

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby snapdragon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:34 am

Lacquer based paints mean a really solid primer base to avoid ending up with a melted model.

I would appreciate a link to them, but until they produce in enamel or acrylic which you can use without primer I may not bother with them unless there is something in their range that really grabs my attention.

Akan's paint range does warrant a closer look as their Luftwaffe paints seem interesting.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Gundog » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:19 pm

AK's filler/primer works really well with them apparently, as does Stynylrez (but that isn't very easy to work with).

http://mrpaint.sk/, or the UK retailer http://www.hmhobbies.co.uk/

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:59 am

As an aside, while I like Vallejo paints, I can't stand their primer. Seems to go on like a sheet of plastic, and doesn't seem to stick very well. Halfords car primer has always given me excellent results, but it's rather a long way to the nearest Halfords at the moment :angry-banghead:
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:03 am

That's strange, Mark. I used Vallejo's RAL 7028 primer on the Panzer IV as the base coat and I had absolutely no problems at all. It behaved just like any other bottle of Vallejo.

Their primer does need more shaking than the regular paint and I found a minimum of 0.4mm nozzle and a PSI of 20 rather than the slightly lower PSI of around 18-19/20 as it is a slightly thicker paint.

Diluting by 1 drop of water to every 3 drops of primer makes it behave more like the model air range.

Maybe it's your weather and humidity that is affecting the paint or it is just a dodgy bottle. Who knows!

Still, I think that it is the best acrylic paint on the Market, gives good coverage with accurate colour at a reasonable cost and the new paint releases and air war sets give the model air range a huge much needed boost. Let's hope that the armour paints get an overhaul.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Model previews and reviews