Takom 1/35 Tiger II "Henschel" Turret

News about new releases and kit reviews

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:06 am

This is Takoms' latest release along side its stable mate "Porsche" Turret Tiger II. There is a third one which is a "special" release.

These three kits are zimmerit coated Tiger II's and shortly there is going to be the same kits released but with a hull without zimmeritt.

Do we need more tigers? Of course we do, but these are special because they have scale thickness armour and a full interior and in 1/35 scale to boot!

The box is not as big as I thought it would be, but it is very deep to accommodate all the sprues etc. Almost 5 inches or so deep.

The contents are very well moulded with some incredible detail although I did detect some slight flash on one or two parts it's not detrimental at al asa sharp blade or sanding stick will deal with it no problem. There are some parts which are tiny and care will have to be taken removing from the sprue without loosing or in the case of engine piping, breaking it.

Here's everything that is in the box with close ups to show detail.

Ok. Let me mention a few things here before finishing what's in the box.

The detail is incredible and Takom has put a lot of work into getting this right. However, there are some mistakes. The first one is moulding the ammo to the racks. I have no idea why they would do that because it makes painting these very hard. However the rest of the kit looks fantastic and correct, but I reserve judgement until I take a proper in depth look when I start building. The shells moulded to the racks is the thing that pops out at a glance through the sprues. At this level, takom could have provided separate racks and ammo. Much easier to paint!

I am not happy with the gun barrel length either. I could well be wrong, Indeed I hope I am but it does look a little short. At lease we don't have two halves to joing together as it is cast in one part with a separate muzzle brake, but I feel that Takom missed the mark here by not providing a metal one.

These are the tracks with a separate bag for tracks that go on the turret sides. they are not moveable and you glue them together. Takim have a separate set that are moveable. With a kit like this with the incredible amount of detail the moveable tracks should be in the kit and not as a separate purchase. I will probably go for Friul replacements rather than use the kit tracks.

There are two etched frets in this kit and they are very thin. Scale thickness all the way! They include anti grenade mesh for the engine deck and bases for the shells. Be careful handling these!

Two decal sheets. One for the exterior and one for the interior and shells. They don't have all the internal stencilling, but try Peddinghaus decals. They might have a 1/35 set.

The decals are very well done and look right. You can read the writing!

Now here's what made me scream!

Takom went to MIG for the colours, and indeed, Mig not only produced a colour painting instruction but used their colours to do it with and have produced two paint sets just for these kits!

Not only are some of MIG's callouts suspect - Tiger II engines were rarely painted - the actual paints are not even close to the colours that would have been used. "Scale conversion paints" or something like that! their primer is more close to orange than the red it should be! I'm not going to even start on the exterior!

AKAN Enamel paints will be deployed for this kit and are on their way as I speak.

This is a page from their instruction book. It's clear and concise, but some of the diagrams can be a bit misleading, but the builders who will build this are no mugs and it is going to be much dry fitting that wins the day before adding glue.

But Wait! There's more!

In the box as I unpacked it are 3 extra pieces of paper with instruction corrections!

This makes me think that Takom wanted to beat Meng out onto the Market as Meng are about to release their own Tiger II with separate boxing of the interior and tracks. Previous Takom kits I have built had me experiencing fit issues so I don't know what is going to happen when this gets to my bench. The feedback from those already building/built it is that the fit is very good with one or two minor issues. There are some extras such as MG 24 ammunition bags but there is no MG 34for the A mount on the commanders cupola. Raid your spares box!

Overall, despite the ammunition rack and ammunition being moulded together and maybe a slightly dodgy gun and although the kit tracks being correct just beg to be replaced with something that is going to be more realistic weight wise it looks to be a corker of a kit detail wise and will enable many builders to produce a well detailed Tiger II with zimmeritt. I think the "Porsche" Or Initial turret kit may suffer the same problems. That one will find its way here too.

The RRP in the UK for this is £59.99. For what you get in the box it is worth it and if you can find it under that price then well worth adding to your stash. I will have to get the Meng one and see how they compare when the Meng one comes out.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Takom 1/35 Tiger II "Henschel" Turret

Postby steve131 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:57 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :o Uber jell Snapdragons heard about this kit ,not seen a inbox review before many thanks . Its a stunner :o :mrgreen: did think it was a cutaway kit Because of box picture. Looking forward to your diary . Price needs to come down bit more before it comes to the Black Country :(
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:06 am

Thanks Steve.

There are a number of listings on eBay for £54.99 and free postage for buy it now. There are a number of lower ones but the postage takes them more or less to the RRP and the auction ones have a lower price and about £3 postage but I have seen these snapped up with those last minute bidding bots which to me spoils the bidding fun.

If funds allow, Steve, or an extra week saving then I would go for the £54.99 buy it now one. This kit is worth it and you will get plenty for your money with plenty to do.

I have already got my eyes on some friul tracks and as I have found no listing on eBay then all the way from Hungary they will come.

I am looking at a metal barrel from Aber. Something like this deserves the extra mile just as a bit of polish and some minor alteration with a knife should see it fit. Still looking for a very nice 1/35 MG 34 for the commanders cupola.

Don't miss out on this, Steve. You will be :mrgreen:
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:57 pm

Yet another build diary then snap ?

At this rare cap'n mark will need to increase his band width lol
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby casper » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:15 pm

chill wrote:Yet another build diary then snap ?

At this rare cap'n mark will need to increase his band width lol

:laughing-rolling: :lol:
I'm still waiting for the images to load :whistle:
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby number1 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:09 am

Images working fine now, photobucket was down for "maintenance"seems a reasonable price for what your getting could tempt me to the dark side :laughing-rolling:
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:48 pm

Feel the power of the Dark Side!

Really, despite some minor shortcomings I think that these Tiger II kits both with and when available, without zimmeritt will be Tacom's best sellers.

I have ordered some paints from Russia and this for the commanders Cupola:

Just need to find a better looking ammo belt to replace that etched thing!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby number1 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:55 pm

They have 1 in my LHS with the Porsche turret for £56, xmas is coming, anyone want to buy me a prezzie :laughing-rolling:
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:26 am

Not a bad price for what is in the box.

You know what to ask for now! It will take about 2 months to build depending on how much you put in a day. Overall with the time taken to build it is not a bad price as rushing will spoil it.

It may be worth getting and putting in the stash and keep an eye on the AM people. Prime suspects are dedicated metal barrel and either resin or etched separate ammunition storage and shells.

Me? I'm going to start it as soon as the paints come from Russia and get any extras that's not already on the way as I need them or get the opportunity to snag a bargain!

Don't forget there's also Meng's Tiger II on the way. Even with the interior being a separate set it also promises to be a stunning kit too. I hope we see more full interior kits come onto the market in 1/35 scale as well as 1/16.

Come to the dark side! Mwaaaa Haaa Haaaa Haaaaaaaaa!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:24 pm

The Zimerit detailing is amazing. My guess is that it's a scan of a real tank, but if not, the designer deserves a Nobel Modelling Prize !!
Looks a lot of kit for the money. Looking forward to your build diary James.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Model previews and reviews