Trumpeter 1/16 Jagdtiger

News about new releases and kit reviews

Trumpeter 1/16 Jagdtiger

Sponsor

Sponsor

Trumpeter 1/16 Jagdtiger

Postby snapdragon » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:57 pm

Here we are with Trumpeter's massive big cat the Jagdtiger.

Only 84 of these beasts with the 128mm L/55 main gun made it off the production line and it had problems with mechanical issues - mainly the engine and drive train. Already strained in the Tiger II the engine and drive train was just not enough for this big cat and engine and transmission failures were rife. However the 128mm Pak 80 was a killer being able to penetrate and destroy all allied tanks at 2km and shermans at 3km.

This kit is massive and comes in a suitcase sized box with a handle on it and inside this box are 3 further smaller boxes in which the kit is divided in to. I am surprised, on closer inspection of some sprues to find some flash and on the lower hull very visual warpage. I have come to the conclusion that this must have been cast on a Friday, but it is not going back as I got such a good deal money wise and the fault can be overcome.

There is a great deal of plastic in the box and as a lot of parts are shared with the original limited series King Tiger kit which I had I can see that some improvements has been made. I wonder if these were done to the current KT that is available and I have made a note on my must have list to check this out when I get the opportunity to get one at a good price.

As the Jagdtiger hull is longer than the Tiger II then there are lots of new plastic in the box.

Lets take a look!

Lower Hull.
For reference, the card I use as backing is A3 in size. This shows just how big this monster is!

The warpage at the front. It is very noticeable but should be mitigated by adding in the lower frontal armour which I will clamp in place until the glue has cured. If this is not quite enough, the upper hull and internal glacis plate part should deal with is when that is put in place. I was hoping to be able to have the upper hull removable, but I don't think it is possible given the build structure

The upper hull is huge and still has some, but not all it's mould supports in place but some around the gun and upper area have been cut out leaving nubs to deal with.

Here's the rest of the sprues and parts in the kit - Every single one!!!

Here's the tracks. They are all individual links with some visible sink marks. The small track links at the bottom of the photos are 1/35 scale, for reference!

Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Trumpeter 1/16 Jagdtiger

Postby number1 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:17 pm

Wow, thats some serious model you have there, looking forward to the build.
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:18 pm

:mrgreen:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:07 pm

So ? What are you gonna build after lunch ??????

Nice looking kit :D
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Model previews and reviews