Airfix 1/24 Hellcat

News about new releases and kit reviews

Re: Airfix 1/24 Hellcat

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mark » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:13 pm

Model Colour is more economical, although you have to buy thinners. Modelair isn't great for brush painting as it's too thin.
You're buying half a jar of thinners with Modelair :lol: Although, to be fair, I believe the pigment is ground finer.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:30 pm

The Hellcat is smaller than than Airfix's Stuka.

Also, Vallejo's model air usage very much depends on the actual colour although each one has the same pigment ratio formulae. You will always use more of the light colours than the dark colours to get full paint colour and depth and I always add small shaker balls to all paints as they very much help to make sure that the paint in the bottle is mixed properly.

AK's paints are what the term "Scale Correct" Which is the model equivalent of political correctness and stems from a lack of understanding of how we see light and colour. Sometimes their colour is far from the mark of what the actual colour is and from the ones I have used and tested have less pigment than the Vallejo ones and so you are not only in some cases using the wrong colour, but more of it!

With the Hellcat I do expect to use at least half to most of a full bottle of the dark blue (either 71.295 or the glossy type 71.300) and will have another on standby. That's for the American paint job. If I do a FAA paint job then the underside will have the biggest usage.

Vallejo model air does have a really good coverage and on the Dornier build I did use just under a full bottle of the RLM 76 light blue. keep in mind, though that I did have to cover RLM 75 and all over the aircraft so more than one coat and several correctional sprayings were done to get the full depth and contrast between the two paints. Also it is a big model!

Also with the Ki-45 the biggest usage will be the very light green which will be overall apart from the areas that I want to remain clear and on the upper surface will go over a very dark green apart from the splotch masks to reproduce the paint job on the box lid.

When it comes to metals, my go to paints are AK's Xtreme metals. Not a true acrylic, but an enamel acrylic it sprays really well, dries quite quickly (to a touchable acceptancy) and although doesn't like being masked produces some of the best lifelike metal finishes I have seen yet... and unlike Alclad won't melt your model!

likewise, Vallejo metal colour is an acrylic base with metal pigments and in it's range covers some metal colours that Xtreme metal doesn't have and while it doesn't quite lay down like Xtreme metal does it produces a great finish and is an ideal companion as the same colours that overlap the Xtreme Metals range have a different shades and with care you can mix and match on a model, and indeed I have!

Note: Before masking use AK's Gauzy metal shine as a clear protectant on AK metals and Vallejos Metal Gloss on Vallejo. You won't be pulling the paint and pigment off then when masking, but give the sealants 24 hours drying time please!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:32 pm

Scale effect is a controversial subject. The theory is that colours look less intense the further away you are, so scale models should be faded to look realistic.

This is a particularly good article.

http://www.009.cd2.com/members/how_to/colour.htm

And another one.

https://www.cybermodeler.com/color/scale_effect.shtml

Certainly, the larger the model, the less relevant it is.

Is the theory right? Well, I've painted models with the 'correct' colours, and sometimes they have looked far too dark and needed lightening. Sometimes they look OK. For me, the darker Vallejo colours tend to be too dark. The lighter ones seem fine.

What's also true, is that apparent colours vary with the time of day, weather, background, what they are standing on, and so on. So, if somebody tells you that your yellow is too orange, tell them the subject was modelled at sunset (then give them a smack!)

However, when it comes down to it, it's entirely up to the builder. If you think it looks right, it is.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Model previews and reviews