1:65 Vasa from DeAgostini!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tom1992 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:53 pm

Hi everyone,

Here's my build diary on the 1:65 scale Swedish ship Vasa (Wasa) Enjoy! :D

As with any model ship, the most essential thing is to get the keel as straight and level as possible! Thus, I will not be doing any work to the hull until I get all the keel sections! (probably in next months issue.)

But fear not! I've still got bits to do to keep you entertained! ;)

Here's what I've got to do until the next parts arrive,
I've got a cannon and anchor to build, 2 figurines, 2 lions and 2 coats of arms to paint. should be fun!

First up, the anchor.
I'm using this burnishing liquid from AK interactive. normally used for burnishing the tracks on model tanks.

The anchor shaft was filed down to remove the mold lines and had the solution brushed on whilst the ring was dipped in. The shaft burnished instantly but the ring had to be submerged for about 30 secs. but this is the result.

The stock was treated to a medium oak dye cheap and cheerful from wilco. it took several light coats but the result is pleasing.

Here is the (almost) finished item, just need to add binds to the stock.

Now for the decorations,
for these I used liquid gold leaf, I used the Renaissance gold as it was a nice deep colour.

*WARNING* I AM DEVIATING FROM THE INSTRUCTIONS! *COPY ME AT YOUR OWN RISK!*
I will also be using a red wash from Citadel paints instead of the red paint suggested by the instructions.

I painted the lions using the gold paint, I then added the red paint to the mouth and crown, Then I used the wash sparingly on all the low relief areas (only the tiniest amount). This is the result, I then painted the fish green.

This is the coat of arms painted as per the instructions, and then the full assembly.

The next coat of arms was painted in the simple colours (I thought these were French? :think: )

The next figurines were painted in flesh colour (humbrol 51) then with the same red wash as the lions used sparingly in some of the recessed areas mostly around the arms and face (ignoring the instructions on this!) and then gold painted on the crown and wings.

The coat of arms was then glued to another decoration and then added to the figures,

That's it for now, just got to do the cannon next and then its a little wait before the next parts to get started on the hull. :D
Cheers,
Tom.

BIGGEST IS ALWAYS BEST ;)

Built: Tiger Tank, Bismarck, 'O' gauge Canal boats.
Currently building: Lancaster Bomber, DC-3, 00 gauge model railway, Wasa
tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: 1:65 Vasa from DeAgostini!

Postby tom1992 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:44 pm

Hi folks,

Pack 2 has arrived during the week and has the parts necessary to complete the false keel and all of the main ribs! :dance: When I get a bit of free time (whatever that is!! :laughing-rolling: ) I'll make a start on it and drop in an update to whet your appetites! ;)
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby number1 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:16 pm

Appetite wetted, nice start Tom, will be looking in :handgestures-thumbupright:
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby tom1992 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:45 am

Okey dokey,

Sorry for the delay guys but I've had problems with work so I've not had time to do anything. However, this morning I've bought a plank of wood and some fixings and now I have a build board ready. I've also glued the 4 sections of the false keel together to give the profile of the hull. Now all I've got to do is glue all the frames together and glue them to the keel. :D
Here's some pictures to keep you entertained.

The board is a 1.2m length of 8x1 planed se timber with steel fixing strip bent to shape and fixed with 3.2mm wall board screws, I've also drilled a hole through the metal strip and the keel and bolted it through to resist against hogging or bowing of the keel. So fingers crossed it'll stay as I've laid it. :roll: :laughing-rolling:
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby casper » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:42 pm

Great start Tom, love your work on the coat of arms and anchor. :clap:
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby tom1992 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:56 pm

Cheers Casp. :D

I've now assembled the framework for pack 2, For anyone considering building this particular model but is put off by thinking that it's above basic modelling skill, DON'T BE!! Out of all the partwork models I've built and are building, this one has so far been the easiest of all! every part fits together perfectly and I've had to do next to no modifications at all! What is more, it's very design means that most of the frames are held in the right positions by other supporting pieces meaning that it all stays very square and straight needing hardly any extra support. I use superglue gel to build the basic framework as its fast, strong and you don't have to clamp the pieces for hours on end and wit for the glue to dry making sure it's straight or in the right place ect. consequently all of what you see here was put together in just over an evening!

And with pack 3 just arrived through my letter box yesterday, we get the rest of the hull framework and decks and the first half of the planking!! :dance: Happy days!! :D
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:25 pm

:clap: Great work Tom , I see it's made of wood and not MDF going to be nice model.
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby bird_d00 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:38 am

Wow - that's quick work Tom. I haven't got half that far yet. To be honest mine has had 4 disasters so far, but thankfully wood fixes fairly easily, and wood glue can be soaked off. If I had gone like you with superglue it would probably be in the bin by now. I've also spent far too long looking for that stupid doughnut casting thing that has gone walkabout. May have to request another if it doesn't turn up soon.

David Bird
Built: Eaglemoss Vector3
Building: Hachette Mallard, Eaglemoss Endeavour X section, Altaya Bretagne, DeAgostini Wasa
bird_d00
Corporal
Corporal

Return to Ships