DeAgostini McDonald Douglas DC-3 1:32

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tom1992 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:56 pm

Hi Everyone!

Here is my build diary of the DeAgostini McDonald Douglas DC-3 in 1:32nd scale!

Here's a photo of the box and associated scripture to whet your appetite! as soon as I get round to opening the box and making a start, I'll post a bit more! ;) :lol:

Until then,
Cheers,
Tom

BIGGEST IS ALWAYS BEST ;)

Built: Tiger Tank, Bismarck, 'O' gauge Canal boats.
Currently building: Lancaster Bomber, DC-3
On the slipway/In boxes: Hood, Yamato, Titanic, Type VII Sub, Hawker Typhoon, Victory, Sovereign! :shock:
tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: DeAgostini McDonald Douglas DC-3 1:32

Postby tom1992 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:41 pm

Ok ok ok!!! I couldn't resist and so I opened up the box!! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

But open the box is all I did... :shifty: :roll: Anyway, here are the contents of the first of either 12 or 24.... (I cant remember what timescale I ordered now... :doh: :think: )
In the first box anyway we have a sheet of aluminium for the skin, a wooden fret containing components for the cockpit, the cockpit front plastic part, a photo etch windows sheet with accompanying clear plastic, etch brass sheet of instrument panel bits with accompanying printed decal sheet, one propeller, and an interesting box of detailing bits mostly for the cockpit! all with a sheet of paper basically telling you not to tamper with their model and to stick to their instructions like the stickiest sort pf sticky glue you can stick to something sticky!! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: (yeah right!! this modeller will just ignore that page! :laughing-rolling: :roll: ) Oh, yeah, and a handful of stringers! :D

Cheers,
Tom

On the slipway/In boxes: Hood, Yamato, Titanic, Type VII Sub, Hawker Typhoon, Victory, Sovereign! :shock:
tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:02 pm

Is it wood and what you make of quality :?:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:14 pm

Looks like the Zero type materail
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby Mark » Mon May 01, 2017 11:26 am

Instructions are only one person's opinion anyway !
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tom1992 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:37 pm

Hi guys!

yes it is wood, it's that 3mm ply you get from most kits of this scale, I haven't seen the Zero model kit but as it's from the same manufacturer I would assume so! :think: at the moment it looks very good quality! certainly better than the Hachette offering of the Lancaster that I'm currently building on my other thread.

Anyway, I have been able to make a start on the DC-3 so here's the first post of the build diary,

Where better to start than the nose cone! (as that's where the instructions start too! ;) :lol: ) Very nicely presented by DeAgostini, as you can see from the first photo, parts come in a box instead of polythene, and the instructions etc. don't come in a magazine but a very nice little booklet with info about the DC-3, history, development etc. etc. as well as the building instructions.

So, the nose cone! no dramas here! very similar to the Lanc (and probably most aircraft of this sort of size, just ply and stringers).

Just for interest's sake, here is the nose cone of the DC-3 compared to the Lanc, similar in size although the DC-3 is far simpler (and best for me DeA... has opted to not use so many damn stringers! :D )

This is where it gets interesting though! DeA... seem to think that this aircraft's interior MUST be shown off! So they have hard-wired into their build instructions features that enable you to detach bits of the aircraft to show off such an interior! In this case, magnets glued into 2 of the holes with dowel rods in the remaining. (time will tell whether these will work in practice I.e whether they're strong enough to hold the model together while being handled but not too strong that you cant separate them! Or worse, damage your model trying to separate them! :roll: )

So far it looks like it's going to be an interesting build! It certainly looks like a lot of thought has gone into the design of this model and the parts certainly look good quality! Let's just hope it continues that way.

Over and out! ;)
Cheers,
Tom

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:17 pm

Hi everyone! been busy over the last week or so but have managed to do a bit more to my DC-3.

It seems that DeA.. are doing a full section at a time instead of the usual way of doing random bits at random times! (Hachette's Lancaster and Hood/Bismarck to name but a few!) So, As you would expect, the first section is the cockpit! In the last post I covered the construction of the frame, now it's time to fill it! First a coat of paint! The instructions say to paint it 'green' they didn't specify what colour green but the photo in the instructions shows it to be a bright emerald green (which looks vile!! :? ) So, I've decided to paint it beige green (Humbrol paint no. 90)

Next, i built the chairs, the seat was made from an etched brass sheet which didn't fold very well so i had to improvise on that one!,

Next, the frames were built, white metal glued together and painted aluminium colour, then the seats were glued to the top.

Next the cushions were painted a leathery colour, (I found that Humbrol railcolour Bauxite red gives a convincing red leather effect.) and glued to the seat assembly.

Then the instrument panel was made, this was etched NickleSilver painted black and glued on top of a printed sheet which was then glued onto a wooden backer. the whole lot was given a touch up with black paint and then Humbrol 'clearFix' was used to give the dials a glass effect.

This was the best photo I could get of the glass effect! sorry! :oops:

I then started work filling the cockpit, first were printed sheets showing internal stiching, just glued straight onto the frames, next, the rudder pedals, white metal painted aluminium colour and glued into holes in the backhead.

Next, the control panel,

Then the chairs and a fire extinguisher, all glued into their respective holes.

Now I started the central console. white metal base, printed paper on top with a etched hand wheel (no idea what for!? :think: )

Next, all the fiddly little leavers! :evil: DeA.. suggest making a superglue/talc powder mix then dunking the levers into it to make a handle blob! but I thought this was unnecessary and just used PVA! once the 'blobs' were dry, they were painted and glued into their respective slots.

Then the whole assembly was glued onto the floor/instrument panel.

The top section was then detailed and painted.

Finally, the windows were put in. an etched framework with a clear plastic sheet to represent glass. first the recesses were painted black, then the glazing was glued in and the framework on top. (DeA.. suggested gluing the glazing inside the canopy but this is silly and won't look right! so I glued the glazing on the inside of the framework and then glued that to the outside of the canopy! which is where it should go!! :lol: )

And that more or less completes the first stage! all that's left to do is paint the prop and spinner but that's easy enough and isn't used till later on as is the nose cone so I'l post about that when the instructions get round to them. :D
Cheers,
Tom

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby royjess » Wed May 10, 2017 8:58 pm

Coming along really nicely, loving the interior of the cockpit :clap:
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Colonel
Colonel

Postby builder76 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:48 pm

Very nice build to date Tom. Great job on the seats. PE can be such a pig sometimes. 8-)

John
Life requires patience & understanding, as do hobbies.
builder76
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby baby_astons » Thu May 11, 2017 11:13 pm

very tidy build, tom - btw as far as know, the large wheel on the centre console will raise/lower the landing gear...
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby tom1992 » Fri May 12, 2017 5:49 am

Oh wow! Raising and lowering by hand!! :o
Cheers,
Tom

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi Astons,

I went to Duxford air museum again recently and while I was there I picked up a workshop manual of the DC-3 which will help me greatly in the DC-3 build but also, while reading through it I noticed that the operation of the landing gear is actually by means of a small hydraulic hand pump down the side of the co-pilots seat next to the hydraulic control panel, the wheel is actually used to control the pitch trim for the ailerons. :)
Cheers,
Tom

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:18 pm

hello boys and girls,

Time for an update on my DC-3, In this installment I'll be building the navigator/radio operators position.
As Deagostini has decided to build the commercial passenger variant of the DC-3 for this series and (ignoring their little note included with every issue I might add) and I've decided to build the military transport variant, I've had to do a lot of scratchbuilding (and much more to come) to get it right for this version.

So, the basic framework, no dramas here with the exo-skeleton but the two compartments had to be built up as in the passenger version this section had an interior door to a luggage compartment of sorts. Also added is a shelf for radio equipment and on the other side (where in the passenger variant was a crew compartment) I've built a navigators table etc.
I've also had to scratch build the floor panel as in the destructions they've made a horrible attempt to mimic shag-pile carpet using flocking powder! :laughing-rolling: :text-bravo:

As with the cockpit section, this section has been fitted with magnets so the two can be pulled apart for closer inspection if desired, so here's a shot of the two parts joined. :D

So, building up the instruments and furniture etc. was fairly straight forward (except I converted the twin crew seats into a single (rather luxurious I have to say) Navigators seat) and all fitted into position, this includes the external crew door, wireless set, radar, fire extinguishers and various other electronic equipment. I'm still building the navigators table area but I've got the seat in! :D

I've bought some USAF seatbelts to make the seats more realistic, these were WAY over sized (even though it said 1/32) so I've had to alter them slightly but they look ok......(ish) I'm just waiting on another set for the co-pilots seat (I'm not sure if I'm going to buy lots for the paratroopers seats or just make some simple replicas which will keep the cost down.... we'll see!)

That's it for this update, I'll have more when I finish the navigators position, but I've just received the 3rd package which starts the main fuselage section so we'll have to see how much I have to convert that! :roll: :lol:
Cheers,
Tom

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:53 pm

Glad you going military way ,nice work on seatbelt :clap:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby tom1992 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:01 pm

Thanks Steve! I was considering the commercial passenger option as a change but I think the military transport look looks much better! I'm going for the Normandy landings D-Day June 1944 colour scheme in RAF livery. The livery incorporating the invasion stripes looks particularly good on this model :D
Cheers,
Tom

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby royjess » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:03 pm

some fantastic work there, loving all the detailing :clap: :clap:
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:58 pm

Very nice Tom. Love the attention to detail.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Aircraft and real space