U96 Build

U96 Build

Sponsor

Sponsor

U96 Build

Postby dolphin » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:13 pm

Hi Im building U96. Im hoping to make it radio controlled for sailing only, so will have to see if I can make it watertight without the cut outs. It will be a dry build for a while but I hope to post some photos.
"So long and thanks for all the fish". (from The Hitch Hikers guide to the Galaxy) the dolphins to earth people just before the Vogons destroy it to make way for a hyperspacial highway.
dolphin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Re: U96 Build

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:27 am

Welcome to the forum Dolphin. Nice idea making a surface running rc version. Looking forward to seeing you build :D
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dolphin » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:55 pm

Hi Mark Thanks for the welcome. Ill try and post a picture as a test from photo bucket. As I thought it says file to big. Ill reduce pixels on camera for this and try later.
dolphin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:26 am

Photobucket is the best way of posting pics as that looks after resizing automatically. The forum will on,y accept quite small pics directly to preserve my web space.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dolphin » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:22 pm

Still collecting parts as others are doing, cant assemble yet as I am waiting for at least issue 19 or so to see how to make the left and right hand sides the same.
Here is some info on U570, they are plans link to David Taylor the guy that translated and drew them, it is the first option in the search.---http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570GeneralPlanDavidTaylorBW.htm
it looks very similar to U96.
here is a link to a sample.
[img][/[IMG]http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy354/dolphin1948/U96%20BUILD/u96stern.png[/img]img]
"So long and thanks for all the fish". (from The Hitch Hikers guide to the Galaxy) the dolphins to earth people just before the Vogons destroy it to make way for a hyperspacial highway.
dolphin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby dolphin » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:13 pm

[imgImage][/img]

This is a pic of the prow right hand side. I wont post any more pics as Mustang has done it so well, until I get to the interesting bits when I try to make both halves closed in and watertight or the motors and rudders installed. Which ever come first.
dolphin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Mark » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:25 am

Glad you got the picture posting sorted out :clap:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dolphin » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:54 pm

Hi everyone. Ive been able to get on quite a lot with the sub, Ive made the battery compartment up and the motor compartment as well as most of the wooden frame, along with a slipway made from plywood and steel angle brackets.

For the battery compartment I made the wooden extensions to the transverse frames, but for the motor section I bought two copies of the magazine so I could make both left and right hand sids of the sub the same also, a motor mounting board.

The frames are not glue together yet, just bolted, I did this so I could see how it was going and what size it would be.

I will post some more when I get the motors and brackets mounted.
dolphin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:14 pm

Looking good so far. I edited the post so the images displayed properly. Looking forward to the next update :D
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Build diaries