cockpit build

cockpit build

Sponsor

Sponsor

cockpit build

Postby snapdragon » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:32 pm

As I move from Issue to issue I wonder just how detailed the cockpit is. So far, issues 4 & 5 provide the cockpit frame and other details such as pilot, navigator and engineer seats. After getting issue 5 and apart from painting issue 4 and building the pilots seat I'm beginning to wonder if I should hold off for a bit to see what we're going to get in the way of internal details for the cockpit, Navigator/wirless op positions so I can plan any further internal details etc before the area gets inaccessable with parts.

Not knowing what is coming with these partworks is the most frustrating thing but it does lead to anticipation - what's coming next? How much detail is there in certain areas etc. Never mind! I'll continue with my knife, glue, files and paintbrush!

Remember the cockpit interior was painted black!

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: cockpit build

Postby Southendnick » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:58 pm

Think its just the pilots pannel and pilot.
Southendnick
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Russ » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:09 pm

Looks that way from the magazine poster insert
LOOK LOOK .... OVER THERE .... SORRY WHAT WERE WE LOOKING AT AGAIN ???
Russ
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby snapdragon » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:37 pm

We'll see what comes, but given the size of the cockpit area and the visibility through the canopy it may be that some scratch building is needed. From my photos it seems to me that the flight engineers seat is a fold up one, but in issue 5 the navigators and flight engineers seats are made up and the engineers seat is not a fold up type. The photos I have are of the Lincolshire Heritage aviation Lancaster which is a late war lancaster so there might have been some cockpit redesign at somepoint. Anyone got any ideas or references?

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby BRUCE » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:13 pm

FLYINGZONE PUBLICATIONS HAVE AN INTERACTIVE CD WHICH IS ALL ABOUT THE LANCASTER - MAIN PHOTOS ARE THE BBMF LANC, THOUGH S- SUGAR AND JUST JANE ARE ALSO ON IT. GIVES PRETTY COMPREHENSIVE COVERAGE. THE OTHER REFERENCE IS THE SAM PUBLICATION - MODELLING THE AVRO LANCASTER, BY RICHARD FRANKS - THIS DEALS WITH THE PLASTIC KITS AVAILABLE BUT AGAIN CONTAINS QUITE A LOT OF INFO.

http://www.flyingzonedirect.com/lancast ... rindex.htm

HOPE THIS IS OF HELP
BRUCE
Corporal
Corporal

Postby snapdragon » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:55 pm

My first attempt at issue 4 and the start of the cockpit section didn't come out as well as I wanted because I didn't think the build through.

It calls for the frames to be at 90 degrees which is not easy to do as they go both above and below the floor. I have re-ordered issue 4 and have a possible solution to try on this. In the meantime my build will continue with issue 6

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby DaveH » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:36 am

re: Issue 4

I also saw problems coming with the 90degree issue. I got over it by concentrating on getting frame 55 at 90 (a lot easier with a greater glueing surface). Once that was completely dry (PVA), then attached top-centre stringer to frame 55 (super glue) and allow to dry. Continue with frame 54 and once lined up with square at 90, stringer will act as a support once glued in - voila.

Hope this helps

DaveH
DaveH
Cadet

Postby Mark » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:13 am

Nice idea Dave. I had a minor problem with one section, where I got the frames at 90 degrees, but they bent out of true a little when I put the side stringers on. Adding a top stringer carefully would have certainly avoided the problem. The section will be skinned on my model, so it won't be noticeable, luckily !
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 9JL » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:43 pm

Regarding the degree of detail on this model I think that we will get the basics and no more,the missing fuel tanks in the outer wing panels were for example an indication of this,however this is where the fun starts for me at least ! because there are so many items that can be modelled as scratch build pieces,I am already drawing up the cartridge chutes in case Hachette do not supply them in readiness for modelling,this model is just too good an opportunity to not super detail it,once the frame is built then each module can be given attention and that brings up another point,we need to hold back on fixing some major assemblies as regards glueing them together for example the fuselage otherwise it will be impossible to get things in place,you can always tack glue or add small dowels to hold things together temporarily.
It came as quite a surprise that this weeks Part 35 was for the instrument panel 'rear' once fitted this intricate piece is hardly visable and hidden away,at least we know that it is there !
We still have 90 issues to come and it is difficult to visualise exactly what we will get in those issues,I think that the parts will be spread out thinly at first as they are now culminating in the big chunky items such as wheels etc,there are some exciting parts to come along and get built,and what about the clear parts turrets and main cockpit etc,these will really pull this great model together nicely.
Barry.
From his first flying machine built in a railway arch to producing World War Two's finest bomber,A.V.Roe we salute you.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Spellbinder99 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:01 pm

Cool stuff Barry, was going to scratchbuild that myself if it was not provided.

Cheers

Tony
Spellbinder99
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to The cockpit details