BTTF Aussie Build (1-13)

BTTF Aussie Build (1-13)

Sponsor

Sponsor

BTTF Aussie Build (1-13)

Postby ravager » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:17 am

Morning all,

Just going to do some forum posts on my Delorean as I build it in case some other Aussies have any issues that I can help with or vica versa.

Probability won't have to many pictures just more notes on problems I had.

Issue 1
No real issues but the supplied screwdriver started to strip a couple of the screws so I started using one of my quality ones which worked a lot better.
The lights are a bit loose and rattle a little more then i would of expected, I will probably glue them to stop this once what I assume is leds down the track.
Fat fingers make putting the decals on straight a little tough but I got them on enough to make me happy.

Issue 2
Noticed 2xAM screws were not in the parts, mailed the distributor and they said its normal and they come at a later date (will update when they do)
The 2-c black trim part didnt fit as flush as i liked so I did a tiny bit of filing to make it sit flush.
Same rattle with the lights as I mentioned above will glue them down the track

Issue 3
Straight forward, everything looks nice.

Issue 4
Missing 6xDP screws, mailed publisher and they said its normal, will come in later issue (same as issue 2 note above)
Disappointed with the quality of the paintjob of Reactor Disc 3 (4-c) very ordinary paint job, having looked at some utube videos it appears this is normal however as I wont be using it, I am not overly fussed.
(4-J) Mr fusion had a bit of a gouge in it, I emailed the distributor about this and they said they are sending me a whole replacement issue (can't complain at all)
Couple of the parts had a little bit of flash on them which i had to clean up.
Putting those springs in OMG, i got there but nearly had a couple of heart failures when i dropped one thinking it was lost.
I ended up getting a large plastic bag and working inside it so if one flys off I won't lose it.

Hinge doesn't look perfectly straight but hopefully it would be hard to see on finished model.
Overall I like the look of Mr Fusion but being a center piece of the model the part quality was a little lower then I would of liked.

That's it for this month.
Cheers to bissets for sorting out that gouged part and the quick reply on those few missing screws.
Last edited by ravager on Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ravager
Private
Private

Re: BTTF Aussie Build (1-8)

Postby ravager » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:11 am

Well issues 5-8 turned up and they were fairly quick assembly, taking a little over 30minutes.

5-6
One of the springs was a Hercules effort to compress in order to fully thread the screw down, I'm a little bit worried that its tension is high enough that it will over time force the screw to pull out of the threads.
Noted that some of the screws have to be fairly loose in order for the brake hub to turn freely. I suspect this is because the main swinging part isn't constructed very smoothly. Some of the screws were very difficult to thread in a decent way with the supplied screwdriver being a loose fit. IMO they should of supplied hex heads for everything making it all easier. Overall fairly poor design and it could of been much better without any extra cost.
Very concerned how weak the bracket that mounts the disc is, I can see that easily being broken when a wheel is attached with the extra leverage against it.

Some of the power coat is a little thick where parts look like they might need to slide. Freedom of movement along both slots is a bit iffy. May have to do a little filing in the future once the rest of the assembly is done. Picture doesn't indicate clearly what way the right side piece is mounted. I will update down the track.

Straightforward assembly no issues.
ravager
Private
Private

Postby Mark » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:35 pm

Welcome to the forum Ravager. I'm sure your notes will be very helpful to other builders.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Hum » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:12 pm

Another Oz builder here.
I got the next batch yesterday and put it all together, the wheels are not as sturdy as I'd like, a bit of wheel wobble. I'd be curious to hear how yours was.
Also the number plate gift was a bit warped, won't lay flat.
Other than that I'm really enjoying this build, never done a car before.
I'm still half way through the Falcon and the "Black Pearl"
As you can see I only do models from movies. I'm a bit of a movie buff.
Hum
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby casper » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:06 am

Hi Ravager and welcome :)
great post and very helpful for everyone concerned :clap:
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby ravager » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:39 am

Got my wheels on I can see what you mean.

I just worked the screws in with the wheels off so i could support the hub until they bedded well down.
Once I put the wheels on and tightened it up they seemed fine.
Last edited by ravager on Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ravager
Private
Private

Re: BTTF Aussie Build (1-13)

Postby ravager » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:31 am

Received 9-13 today and got to building.
I had bought myself some high quality phillip head bits which made overall screwing stuff up a heap easier, nothing like having a bit that feels very well fitted to a screw when you are basically threading most of them

9 and 13 were both wheels so nothing much to comment on there, did note that the back wheels are much bigger then the front wheels.

Issue 10 was the frame and everything went together well and was nice and tight.
The steering as i suspected had a bit of a tight spot when the wheels turned one way and I did some light filling on the larger arm which fixed it perfectly. I put some undercoat on it to stop it rusting and all was good.
The smaller arm is clearly not bent quiet enough and u can see where it gets a bit tight at one end, loosing the screw a tiny bit fixed this to a acceptable level.
As I mentioned earlier I am super concerned about the part connecting the front wheels breaking as some of the screws require a fair bit of force to screw in
Putting the wheels on was nerve racking as that flimsy part required a fair bit of force on it to fully thread the screws in. I did spend a fair amount of time working the screw in until the wheel felt to be connected right. No wobble as I got asked earlier in the thread, but I suspect you haven't worked the screws in tight enough.
(I suggest threading the screw with the wheel off so you can hold the back of the hub to direct the force in the right place and not on the arms.

Issue 11 was pretty much a non event, everything went together fine, though I did note 1 of the connecting rods' screw hole was a little to big so the screw didn't really bite into it. Not a big deal thou as I just put some loctite on it.

Issue 12 was .... OMFG are they kidding me.
The force required to lock in some of the screws was just ridiculous, I doubt i could of done it with the supplied screwdrivers without stripping the heads.
The screw that locked the flange to front left track rod took me 20minutes to get it tight enough to satisfy me and I used all the screws basically screw in, screw out, screw in a little more.
The rear left hub carrier on the top threads on both sides, so i nearly broke it when i was screwing in and didn't notice the far end hadn't threaded and I was just bending it a little bit, I decided to drill one side so only the far side had to be threaded.

Unfortunately after i had finished the rear left hub top bracket broke so I have asked for another part. Guess I will have to go through this again when i get the other side as well but at least I know to drill one side of the holes out first next time around.

Thats all for me for the month, I believe I will be fully caught up with the Aussie issues next month.

P.S. I did also recieve the back issue of Mr fusion that had some visual issues with it this week as well, I am going to leave it till the end so it is nice and clean.
ravager
Private
Private

Re: BTTF Aussie Build (1-13)

Postby ravager » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:55 am

Haven't made a post for a while as I am waiting on some hex head bolts which I am going to replace all the visible ones with. So a little bit backward to go a little bit forward.
ravager
Private
Private

Return to BTTF Delorean