Jeremy's E-Type Jaguar build

Re: Jeremy's E-Type Jaguar build

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wolstantonian » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:16 am

Here’s the result – plus the finished dashboard. I’ve followed R2D2’s advice on the dash and drilled holes behind the instruments. As you can see from the second pic – I used the largest drill I have for the two holes in the main panel (began these with a fine drill to locate the hole) and then finished off with this cone shaped beast that I bought 20 years ago and only ever used once before!

Held up to the light – it’s looking good. Just need to wait for R2D2 to show us how to fix up the LEDs when we get round to that part of the build.

Jeremy
Attachments
Interior+doors+dash.JPG
Interior+doors+dash.JPG (319.31 KiB) Viewed 2292 times
Holes drilled.JPG
Holes drilled.JPG (474.79 KiB) Viewed 2292 times
Dash-lit.JPG
Dash-lit.JPG (362.47 KiB) Viewed 2292 times
Wolstantonian
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Wolstantonian » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:19 am

Finally, the seats. I found a company that had a great colour range of leather dyes – both spray and liquid. Couldn’t match the Humbrol, so I bought the best colour shade in liquid though I knew it was a bit darker. I also bought a spray can of a light beige, thinking I might have to spray a light colour to the very dark brown original.

In the end, I was able to apply the liquid dye direct as a first coat. Once I let this dry, I then poured a small amount into a spray can top and then mixed it with a generous amount of the light beige from the spray can. Amazingly they mixed perfectly and the final 2 coats came in quite a bit lighter.

Looking at the colour contrast between the seats and the rest of the interior – I actually quite like the two-tone effect.

I did mess up however in applying the dye to the gauze back of the leather seats – I'd forgotten that these should slip over the main seat frame. But, obviously, once dry the gauze material was stuck solid to the back insert. Never mind, it's not too noticeable.

The first shot is under good natural lighting and shows the colours well, the second was done at night and, while the colours are not perfect, this shot does show the dyes that I have used if anyone else is thinking about this.

Jeremy
Attachments
Seats.JPG
Seats.JPG (481.31 KiB) Viewed 2292 times
Dye colours.JPG
Dye colours.JPG (392.96 KiB) Viewed 2292 times
Wolstantonian
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Wolstantonian » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:35 am

Just completed the boot compartment, including the rear wheel arches (after spray painting the parts to the light sand colour) – and I thought I'd attempt a quick mock-up.

Really beginning to look the part now!

I'm wondering whether it will be necessary to paint the upper parts of the exterior wheel arches in British racing green or whether these brown sections will even be visible once the body is attached. I'll leave it for now.

Jeremy
Attachments
Mock-up.JPG
Mock-up.JPG (392.25 KiB) Viewed 2239 times
Wolstantonian
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby number1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:07 pm

Looking fabulous, seats look a treat in their new colours :clap: :clap: :clap:
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:38 pm

Very nice work :clap:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Wolstantonian » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:18 am

Thanks for the feedback – I'm really glad I decided to lighten the interior. If nothing else, I enjoy modelling so much, it's always fun to get the spray paint out!

Really looking forward to the next batch (issues 73-76) with the two front wings bolted to the bonnet and the lights fitted.

Here are the latest shots from completion of issue 76 from the official build website:

http://forum.model-space.co.uk/default. ... post285641

Jeremy
Attachments
Bonnet+wings-1.JPG
Bonnet+wings-1.JPG (97.43 KiB) Viewed 2210 times
Bonnet+wings-2.JPG
Bonnet+wings-2.JPG (115.97 KiB) Viewed 2210 times
Wolstantonian
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Wolstantonian » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:34 pm

Delighted to say the main body part arrived today – about a week early, which is great because it was so unexpected.

Really pleased with the quality of the manufacture of the body parts – main body, the bonnet/front wings and the doors.

This first pic shows all the major parts now ready for assembly.
Attachments
E-Type Jag_parts.JPG
E-Type Jag_parts.JPG (332.4 KiB) Viewed 1974 times
Wolstantonian
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Wolstantonian » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:36 pm

Obviously, I couldn’t resist doing a mock-up once I’d fixed the engine section to the body frame.

The interior takes a bit of jiggling (and lots of patience) but it fits nice and snuggly and holds in place without any screws.

A couple of pics – with and without the bonnet and door. Both these parts do fit better than they look here – being just balanced with no fixing.
Attachments
E-Type Jag mock-up-1.JPG
E-Type Jag mock-up-1.JPG (398.43 KiB) Viewed 1974 times
E-Type Jag mock-up-2.JPG
E-Type Jag mock-up-2.JPG (383.52 KiB) Viewed 1974 times
Wolstantonian
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Wolstantonian » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:37 pm

Finally, I just had to line up my Aston Martin DB5 alongside.

Don’t they just look great together!

Jeremy
Attachments
E-Type + DB5.JPG
E-Type + DB5.JPG (413.11 KiB) Viewed 1974 times
Wolstantonian
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby steve131 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:49 pm

:clap: Fabulous work my two favourite cars in the world together :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . Which one did you enjoy building the most :?:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Wolstantonian » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:35 am

Thanks Steve,

I really loved building the DB5 – perhaps because this was the first 1:8 scale partworks that I’d ever attempted. All my previous modelling was either plastic aircraft kits and scratch-build balsa models.

After completing the DB5 I was definitely on the look-out for another project. And I think I mentioned on my build diary at the time that my dream next model would be an E-Type in British Racing Green.

And lo and behold, a few years later this model came up. And I couldn’t resist signing on.

Of the two – I think the E-Type is the better model. There were quite a few issues with DB5 parts being a real struggle to fit - and the colour of the doors I was supplied with didn’t match (I had to order new ones off ebay). The E-Type engine is much better detailed than the Aston, and the wire wheels – even though it was such a fiddly job to thread the spokes – are much superior on the E-Type.

The only downside with the E-Type is that they’ve really stretched it out over 100 issues (rather than 85 for the Aston) meaning that you get far fewer parts per issue.

Jeremy
Wolstantonian
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby steve131 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:42 am

Agree on the colour always wanted a B R G E Type and DB 5 only comes in silver :lol: . Glad you enjoyed building it , one of the annoying things about partworks now they keep stretching them out to get more money out of customers one day it will be one screw in a pack :lol: . Only did one partwork myself the Tiger at £ 5 a week ,now they getting too expensive for myself . I follow Snapdragons advice now and just save for a cheaper full kit :roll:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby R2D2 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:51 pm

I to have enjoyed building the E Type. I also enjoyed building the Aston Martin even though there were a few problems with it. I do prefer the E Type only because the quality and the fit is better. I also built the Lamborghini Countach and that was also a quality kit. As regarding the number of issues. I know there are quite a few but I suppose the companies who make them must make a reasonable profit. I challenge any one to buy a similar 1/8th scale die cast model for what we pay as part works! Just look at the Amalgam site and others! They make 1/8th scale cars as well but the prices are way out of my reach. I'm looking forwards to seeing if the VW combi is released in the UK. I will definitely get that one as I remember my father having one in the 70s!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Wolstantonian » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:53 pm

We're almost there now – just 4 issues remaining.

I've had a great time fitting all the sub-assemblies together and connecting up all the wiring – here are some shots of the result (with the rear chassis not actually fixed in yet).

It took ages to get the dashboard in properly – I had to partly disassemble the front steering rack to get the steering joint the right way round for the steering column.

The bonnet fitted on a dream but it was hard work getting the floor assembly snug inside the body shell.

Only things left to be fitted now are the front and rear under-panels, bumpers, rear exhausts, a battery and, presumably an on/off switch located somewhere. On the Aston, it's inside the boot.

I received issues 89-92 on the 3rd Jan, and issues 93-96 on 21st Jan – so I've no idea when to expect the last batch.

Jeremy
Attachments
E-Type-1.JPG
E-Type-1.JPG (225.46 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
E-Type-3.JPG
E-Type-3.JPG (223.66 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
E-Type-Interior.JPG
E-Type-Interior.JPG (241.45 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
E-Type-bonnet-up.JPG
E-Type-bonnet-up.JPG (266.19 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
E-Type-engine bay.JPG
E-Type-engine bay.JPG (270.96 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
Wolstantonian
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby number1 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:41 pm

Beautiful looking car, well done Jeremy :clap: :clap: :clap:
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Wolstantonian » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:25 pm

Hooray – the final parts of the E-Type arrived this morning!

It seems like a very long time these last 100 weeks – but getting the final batch is fantastic.

First pic is where I started today, with all the wiring complete. Then fitted the front under-panel and bumpers.

Second pic shows the underside complete – rear chassis in place, rear underpanel and bumpers, plus exhausts.

Then some shots of the complete Jag.

I’ll give some further thoughts on this model build later – but please feel free to comment.

Jeremy
Attachments
Wiring complete.JPG
Wiring complete.JPG (299.12 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
Underside complete.JPG
Underside complete.JPG (245.6 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
E-Type-Engine bay.JPG
E-Type-Engine bay.JPG (257.65 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
E-Type-rear.JPG
E-Type-rear.JPG (265.66 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
E-Type-1.JPG
E-Type-1.JPG (183.96 KiB) Viewed 1333 times