E Type problems and fixes?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby modelcarsman » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:21 pm

I decided to start a new topic as continually hijacking others with various comments and observations seems wrong.

I've built several partwork cars and quite a few other big kits.
Aircraft used to be my thing but these days it's vehicles.
I'm working on the E Type and it seems a few people are noticing the parts that aren't right in some way.

I started off moaning about it but actually, it might be better if there's a place where people can suggest fixes or alternatives.

One of the biggest problems seems to be with the engine which looks very wrong so far.
Is anyone planning to do anything to change any of the parts?
modelcarsman
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Re: E Type problems and fixes?

Postby R2D2 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:11 pm

I still won't have my other engine half until next Thursday but I will still be building mine as it comes although with some painting to make the engine at least look as good as I can get it without major surgery! Just doing more checks and yes the engine is way out! but as I said I'm hoping most of it will be hidden! Its rather silly really but the Lamborghini Countch Partwork Iv'e just finished has superb detailing and is very accurate but most of its hidden by the rear bodywork! Now this was one car to show off the engine and its hidden! You can't win them all!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Wolstantonian » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:53 am

While I do understand complaints about the accuracy of engine and other parts – after all, I’ve made them myself regarding the interior colour chosen for the E-Type Jag – I also keep my mind on the bigger picture here.

When we were all building the Aston Martin DB5, the forum here was full of criticism – particularly about the engine on that model. Yet whenever I show my completed DB5 to friends and colleagues, they are all so blown away by just how awesome that model is, and it still gives me a great thrill whenever I take it out of its box and put it on display.

So, by the time the engine is mounted in the finished E-Type, any minor inaccuracies that a purist might spot will be insignificant when judging the model as a whole. As I pointed out in my build diary (with a pic), the hand spoked wheels on this model offer detailing so far in advance of the Aston wheels that I actually have high hopes that this model is going to be a fantastic investment. I’m really looking forward to all the many hours of fun doing the the build itself, and to have an 1:8 scale E-Type in British Racing Green is a dream come true.

The only significant mod that I'll be doing that will affect the overall look is to change the interior colour from that awful brown to a light tan – more news about this soon on my build diary.
Wolstantonian
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Eagle36 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:51 pm

After some personal debate I agree with Wolstantonain and will keep my subscription going, adding details and replacing parts if any are offered to improve the model. The paintwork is borderline acceptable, the replacement hood finally came and while an improvement it should be a lot better , the DeAg McLaren had the best paintwork of any of their kits and well as the best detail--
Eagle36
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby R2D2 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:59 pm

I agree with both of you above and even though I agree with Modelcarsman that the engine is inacurate I can accept it! The Eaglemoss Aston Martin was also inaccurate in places and building it was a nighmare but the overall model is really good and I often get commented on how awsome it looks by people who see it! Ive got quite a few 1/8th Pocher models and some of them are quite inacurate in places because they based a lot of there models on the same chassis and engines as each other to make production cheaper. Take the Rolls Royce Phantom II Sedanca! Its based on the 1932 40/50 HP model chassis and engine yet the engine was uprated to 60 HP in the Sedanca but they still used the same moulds! Now purist would be able to point this out but for most people like you, me and the public wouldn't even know the differance! Dont get me wrong. I can totaly understand Modelcarsman comments as I to have on occation not bought a model because of its problems! In my younger day's (Im 66) I to would have tackled major jobs on models but my eye sights not as good as it was. As Modelcarsman said. Each to there own and model building should be fun and how ever you wish to represent it!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

DETAIL PARTS - PHOTO ETCHED HOSE CLIPS

Postby MODENAMAN » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:52 pm

Found these on eBay - silly price but you do get 150 so appx 40p each - need to buy bolts or screws separately

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-8-HOSE-CLAM ... xyF0pTjy6i

Interesting item though
MODENAMAN
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby baby_astons » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:32 pm

yes, bestbalsa isn't the cheapest source on the net...
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby modelcarsman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:03 am

This guy is less than half the price:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hose-Clamp-Se ... SwgY9Xf49d

Have a look at his other stuff too...
modelcarsman
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby baby_astons » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:08 am

indeed, tremonia ist the manufacturer of the parts, so buying from them is obviously cheaper...
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Return to E Type Jaguar