La Bretagne

Any other ship partworks that aren't mentioned above

La Bretagne

Sponsor

Sponsor

La Bretagne

Postby booth » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Now that I have finished my L’Ambitieux I can start La Bretagne

There seems to be a lot of similarities between the two in builds but there is enough variety to still interesting and not feel that I am doing the same ship twice. This is a younger ship and more modern in the sails, masts and general layout.

First I unpacked my 19 issues and started the hull framework. I thought it easy but I made a mistake in the first attempt but luckily I had a spare and started again.
This is it so far

booth
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: La Bretagne

Postby booth » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:04 pm

The anchors are done. The wooden stocks are shaped ply and so not as much work as the ambitioux. The instructions were to stain then walnut and leave as they are. Looking again at the poster of the finished model they looked a bit plain to me. I also didn’t want everything to be stained the same colour so I used a dark oak stain and punched holes in them to give the impression of nails.

I have started on the launch. I am unsure what the final colour scheme is so I dyed the wood medium oak anyway, before it gets any PVA. Io would always paint it later if that’s the plan.

Also the start of a structure above deck

booth
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby booth » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:04 pm

The Cannon

I experimented with a few dies for the cannon carriages and in the end felt that there wasn’t that much difference so I used recommended walnut in the end.

Also, this time it was suggested that we paint the cannon matt black and then apply Jewish bitumen and I have to admit that you do have to look closely to see any real difference between that and using satin black paint but it does give them a slight metallic sheen.

Nut………… at 50 cents for the first issue I did get a few extra in order that I could do them all at once!

booth
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby booth » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:51 pm

Now I have a decision to make.

I am getting quite disappointed with this Kit at the moment as it seems a bit too basic.

The latest instruction is to paint the lower deck a red/brown all over. Also, the cannon will be mounted on blanked off cannon holes all over and so when the kit is completed their will be a blank red space on the lower deck without any sign of cannon or detail. It will only house the launch.

I had thought of opening the cannon portholes and using some of my spare cannon but I don’t think that the holes that will come in later issues will match the curvature of the deck.

The Hermione for example has a deck of Cannon and is a much better kit.

So, I am thinking of ending it now before I spend any more money on a model in which I am disappointed .

booth
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Return to Other ships