Build Of The Year Entry - 1/32 HKM Lancaster

The gloves are off!

Re: Build Of The Year Entry - 1/32 HKM Lancaster

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby chill » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:15 pm

You could get creative, make some clear acrylic stands angled the same as the spotlight beams and mount it that way. If that makes sense. LEDS dont drink that much power, a small battery pack in the Lanc acessed by a strategically cut away panel for access
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby snapdragon » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:03 pm

That's a good idea, Chill

how about some micro motors in the engines?
I was thinking about a stand at the back that cansupport the Lanc under the rear turret and where I can run the wiring down to the base and batteries and switch etc.

Can LEDs shine down the acrylic tubes effectively to produce the two circles of light?
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:12 pm

I think they'll produce circles of light, rather than a disc of light, if you see what I mean.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:09 pm

The diorama is for the Dambuster release late this year and is lurking at the back of my mind. This is probably why I don't sleep very well!!!

HGW have replied to my email and tell me that the seatbelt set should be available in about a month. Although not easy to deal with, they certainly make a better looking harness than steel painted belts!

There's a lot of dosh going into AM stuff - Eduard Cockpit set, mask set, bomb bay set, browning barrels & RR nameplates (already got). I am not sure about the flap set. I will have to see the set and instructions on Eduards website first and look carefully at the flap fittings into the wing section to make sure that any warping is counteracted by the flap insert. It may be that when the flap insert goes in followed by the flap in the raised position everything is all in alignment. We'll see.

Might be worth doing for extra brownie points. After all, this is a competition!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:39 am

My preparation continues for the Mk.1 Lancaster S-Sugar.

I have come across a paint company that have in their paints RAF Insignia paints called RAF Marking RED, Yellow and Blue.

http://mrpaint.sk/farby/lietadla/RAF

I bought some from a UK stockist and sacrificed some spoons to the great white plastic spoon paint goddess. The paints are acrylic enamel, the same kind that AK Xtreme metal and it is almost an ink consistence, again like the AK stuff and sprays well and smooth at 20psi.

My comparison was the cartograf decals from the Lancaster kit and after testing I went and bought some different blue (I also went and bought some German RAL 7028 variant paints to put against my chipset.... I'm curious!)

So I have ended up with two blues. BS 381c 105 Oxford blue which I think SHOULD be the correct insignis colour and the BS 381c 106 Marking blue, which is labelled RAF WWII Marking Blue.

I am interested in what you guys out there think as I am leaning to the BS 105. I am happy with the red and yellow as they look a good solid match.

They don't dry matt though, unless I didn't shake the bottles properly and It took some paint to get full depth. Not cheap at £4.99 a bottle, but with a clear matt coat on top should look good.

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:49 am

British Standard 105 blue is my vote. :D - the 106 appears in the photo to have a green tint to it, almost like USN sea blue - might be my well worn eyes though :?
Morris

Posted 'Phase 5' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :()progress 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1
HKM B17-F Memphis Belle- fuselage roof section and tail gunner section ....BOTY submission
Morris
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:11 am

I'd agree. The BS106 looks too dull.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:09 pm

Mark wrote:I'd agree. The BS106 looks too dull.

Also agree looks to dull . As always great work Snaps :clap: . Saw plane resurrection series 2 on History channel last week ,one was about Just Jane and painter's employed to paint for 150 K run out of paint :o :doh: :lol: .
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:32 pm

Just Jane is being made airworthy slowly. The Lancaster is a huge aircraft and whoever estimated the paint quantity got it wrong.

It should have been painted in house and they could have saved most of that 150k!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:40 pm

steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:00 pm

Eduard Cockpit set ordered

https://www.eduard.com/aircraft-and-helicopters/1-32/lancaster-b-mk-i-cockpit-1-32.html

HGW's seatbelt set should be available soon.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:31 pm

The cockpit update parts have arrived and a paint test has been done.

Eduards cockpit parts have arrived and I think they will be a great enhancement. Eduard have a steel seatbelt set available, but I think HGW's set when it comes available will be better.

The Main colours of the Lancaster are dark green, dark brown and black. Vallejo have the correct chipset colour for the green and brown, but the black is a bit peculiar.

Night black, as applied to bombers is not a true black but a blackish grey but so dark is looks black. To give a totally matt non-reflective surface, soot was added to the mix and it was usually applied with a brush rather than a spray gun.

Today, we can produce this without the need to add soot and get totally covered slapping it on to a huge aircraft. Just Jane, the BBMF and Canadian Lancasters show this colour, but for we modellers this is a hard colour to replicate which makes us cast about for alternatives.

In my opinion, the best available susbstitute is NATO black from Vallejo as it is chipset accurate and is probably 5% lighter than the original and to me and my eyes it looks the same.

Using a cockpit exterior part that won't be used in the actual build I did a paint test with NATO black from Vallejo directly onto the plastic with no primer. The primer used is just a little darker and will compensate for the 5% making the paint match exactly.

I have run the photos through photoshop as my camera paniced when pointed as the middle of a black subject and I have altered the levels to produce the correct result. This is also due to the changing light in my build room and lights in the room.

Vallejo's NATO black is totally matt and sits nice on the part and the detail that could be hard to see, now comes out and under this colour looks fantastic! I think the nail has been hit on the head and I would like to know what others think.

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:00 pm

And so it begins - woo hoo!!!! :clap: :dance:
Morris

HKM B17-F Memphis Belle- fuselage roof section and tail gunner section ....BOTY submission
Morris
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:33 pm

Nice to see this one started James. I wouldn't worry about the black being a tad light. I think black models look better in dark grey than they do in black. You get better contrast and can see more detail. My Rally 037 chassis is German Grey rather than black, and it looks just right.

The printing on the cockpit panels is astounding! Far better than my eyes can appreciate without optical aids!
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:21 pm

NO! It's not started. Just a paint test to make sure that I have got stuff right and a look at the just arrived Eduard cockpit set.

Before I can start I need to see the seatbelts arrive and other stuff such as just what is Eduard doing to the Bomb bay and how much the flap set is, what it entails and will it be worth the expense as I think it will be around £60 for that (the flaps are huge!). Also I need to see just if Eduard are going to do a set for the bomb aimers equipment such as the arming panel etc.

Eduards April release is the flap and bomb bay sets. Nothing beyond that.

I also want to get the Haynes Manual to add to the maintenance manuals I already have and have to decide just how far I am going to go with the engines.... just detail up one or all 4 and can I use those tiny magnet things (1mm) to hold the covers on so they can all be removed for display! :shock:

I even have brought in some 0.1mm wire to do the curtain run in the cockpit.... Don't know just how I am going to do this yet as I do need some really good credible reference pics than some videos on YouTube or the material for the curtains! Maybe some nice thick paper... I'll have to have a rummage around the server room where all that is stored!

My next thing is to contact the BBMF, tell them what I am doing and ask if reference pictures of what I need can be obtained on a visit or give my camera to a BBMF Chap with a list! :o

As things are getting released now is the time to start of the reference stuff!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:57 pm

:cry: :cry: okaaay, ...will wait...
Morris

Morris
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:27 pm

Eduard have just announced some more stuff for the Lancaster.

Coming in April are Avro Lancaster B Mk.I landing flaps and Avro Lancaster B Mk.I bomb bay £76 and £35 respectively.

Announced for May is the following

Avro Lancaster B.I/III B Mk.I bomb racks £33.99
Avro Lancaster B.I/III B Mk.I undercarriage £33.99
Avro Lancaster B.I/III B Mk.I radiators £10.99

Still no sign of the HGW seatbelts and I have no idea what else is being done by other companies.

I was a bit disappointed by what was in the Eduard cockpit set and am on the lookout to see if there are other etched sets by other providers to add.

I would very much like to do this build for the competition but to do it justice, especially with a clear side I do need to know about all the AM add-ons that there are and there is nothing for the bomb aimers compartment as yet.

The photo shows my initial thoughts for the clear side with the yellow tape marking the paint which will disguise where the floor and the sides meet.

I do have ZM's Shinden ready to go with a lot of AM parts etc and as I would like to delay the Lancaster build until I have everything to hand then this seems like a probablility. Especially as the horizontal stabilisers on the Lancaster has been moulded wrong and I do believe they are correcting it.

Incidentally, HK's boss has had a skiing accident and broke his collar bone while on a business trip to Japan and so he is out of comission for a while! I did tell him that a business lunch and Sake followed by skiing is never a good idea!

If I wait for stuff to come through I might not have enough time to build and do changes. but despite the AM stuff for the Shinden I can't see really it being a challenge to Morris' fabulous build! :angry-banghead:

Advice folks please!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:39 pm

The Lancaster is a grail kit IMO - Don’t build it till you’re mentally ready, James - (I.e. have all to hand you want to add. )
Morris

Morris
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:04 pm

There's no problem with changing your entry James. The Shinden would also make a fantastic model. Does that one also have clear panels? I found that trying to get the soft edge even on the Bell X-1 was nigh on impossible. A hard edge would have been much easier, and probably looked better as well.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:11 pm

No clear panels on the Shinden I'm afraid.

I sent the finished photos of the Ki-45 to the "Old Man" and in his reply he told me that the Ki-45 will be the last that has a clear fuselage and wing option. I also think that he would like to display it on their stand at Telford. This would mean booking a hotel for the show. I need to be close but not ripped off over prices.

He is hoping that the HS-129 will be ready forTelford and tells me that it is down to the mold makers!

There is so much that can be done with this Lancaster kit and I do want to do it justice. Let's see what the AM companies come up with. The Shinden will come on to my bench after the Waffentrager and should be a good build.

Let's wait for a while and see what comes out for the Lancaster.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Build of the Year 2019