Build Of The Year Entry - 1/32 HKM Lancaster

The gloves are off!

Re: Build Of The Year Entry - 1/32 HKM Lancaster

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby number1 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:28 pm

I saw 1 of these Lancs built up with the clear fuselage on one side, unfortunately it is still to dark to see much of the interior, some form of interior lighting would be of great benefit
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:01 am

I suppose it depends on how it is painted and displayed. If you got photos I would love to see them!

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby number1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:00 pm

Sorry no photos :(
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:41 pm

I have this kit and will be doing it at some point in the future. Let's see what happens. It could just be down to painting!

Here's an update.

I have been preparing for a lot of masking and painting and the base painting is done and will probably have to be patched at a later date!!!

Top Notch 1/32 camo masks have arrived and I have spent the last 2 days applying them carefully referencing both blueprint, MAP paint orders and contemporary photos for the fuselage demarkation line.

I have sent an email with these photos with some questions...

Now unless I have got the placement horribly wrong then it is me, otherwise there's some fixing to be done!

Either way.. this has messed up some major progress. I have DN models's insignia set etc coming!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:56 pm

Looking at pictures of what I assume is the real aircraft, the black on the fuz extends above the oval windows. Not sure about the wings though. Either way, hope you get it sorted.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:52 pm

There were two demarcations.

Lancasters built in Canada and overseas had the higher demarcation. Lancasters built in the UK had the lower demarcation.

These specials, built at Manchester under Roy Chadwicks eye had the lower demarcation which is apparent in photos taken of Gibson and his crew just before taking off on the raid. I had a nice chat with the owner of Top Notch and he tells me that the original design for for the 1/72 Lancaster with the high demarcation line and was scaled up. They are not exact, but a good general guide.

With Sean's help I sorted out the wing issue and also using blueprints, photos and MAP painting guides and instructions produced this:

Still having Camera issues and loosing patience with insurance people and their suppliers/repairers!

I have more photos of the process which I will put up later.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:30 pm

Good recovery James - she's looking very nice with the camo on now.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby royjess » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:34 pm

Coming along nicely James, looking forward to seeing this finished :clap:
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Morris » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:37 pm

Taking shape nicely, James
Morris

'Phase 8' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America now posted
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :( on the 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1)
1/72 Hasegawa B-47 in progress
Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:36 pm

Thanks guys.

It is really more or less painting and one of the undercart to build up and paint then fixing the engines on etc. Might have to pinch parts from the limited edition Lancaster box until replacements turn up! I have been promised them and ordered some for you too Morris!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:32 pm

DN models' masking set arrived today and so I was able to get further along.

I am still trying to nail down the blue for the insignia. I may just go with the BS 381c 105 Oxford Blue and have done with it!

Some of the stencilling will have to be masked over so I can re-paint the black!

Just need Top Notch to come up with the codes and serial number for Gibsons aircraft.

I think that I might rob parts from the other lancaster box and replace when the parts arrive from China!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby number1 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:16 pm

Excellent masking and painting, looking really good. :clap: :clap: :clap:
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby casper » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:19 am

Nice painting james :clap: the Top Notch mask worked really well
Excellent build
Casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby snapdragon » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:38 pm

Yes. The To Notch camo masks worked well and I was able to add to this generic set to match the MAP layout.

Sometimes vinyl masks work better than kabuki masks and other times it is the other way around as I have found out while doing the roundel on the fuselage side.

vinyl doesn't have the flexibility that Kabuki tape has when negotiatiation of sharp corners and types of raised edges and details. It looks like I am going to have to order some C1 roundels and letters from Maketar done in Kabuki tape to lay down correctly to give me the sharp lines I need!

The MRP paints I am using for the markings are very good and go down well. They have a silk sheen to them rather than a Matt look to them which I will have to deal with. After testing, I have not gone with what MRP says is "Marking Blue for WWII" but instead gone with their BS 105 Oxford Blue which is right IMHO for the blue used.

More pictures to follow!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:24 pm

Awesome work, James !!
Morris

Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:12 pm

Thanks guys.

Sometimes vinyl masks cause more work and that is because they don't have the flexibility that is actually claimed. I am going to have to have some Kabuki tape masks made for the fuselage as the vinyl ones just can't flex and fit into tight angles as Kabuki can. Also Vinyl is easily stretched out of shape and be affected by humidity and temperature change.

I have been working on insignia. The inability of the Vinyl masks to flex into corners and stick has caused overspray etc. Some work has to be redone and remedial painting to fix overspray.

On this photo you can see that because of the vinyl's inability to go into corners and stick it has let bleeds and demarcation lines not as sharp over the bracing piece. This will have to wait to be fixed until I can get Masks from Maketar made. I will also get some RAF squadron codes done in Kabuki as the Top Notch ones when they come will be Vinyl and will have the same problem!

Again, there is some overspray caused by the vinyl. I did try and mask around all the aileron mounts but the paint found a way through!

There you go. Once the painting is corrected and done then I think it actually looks better than the decals!

I would like to know what you think to the blue I have used.

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:23 pm

Blue looks spot on for a scale colour to me, James - I know most folks see colours a bit differently, but I think you've nailed it. Awesome masking/painting man....
Morris

Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:59 pm

I don't use "scale" colours, Morris. I use the genuine chipset stuff.

In this case, for the blue used on the roundels you have a choice of 2.

The current roundel blue used on the BoB Lancaster is BS5252 Duchess Blue/Midnight.
The original roundel blue, used on mine is BS 381C 105 Oxford Blue.

Only a computer can tell them apart.. our eyes can't!

The apparant difference between the blue on the fuselage and the wing is our eyes and the camera shifting the white balance due to the surrounding colours. One looks darker than the other, but they are the same colour from the same bottle. One is sprayed onto a while background and one is sprayed onto the camouflage background of dark earth and dark green (both Vallejo Chipset correct. The blue was put down to it's maximum colour depth on both surfaces and the photos taken at the same time in the same light.

It is the camera software and our eyes and both sub, and concious brains (when you see it in real life) that alter the colour shade to give better clarity and definition. Those that use "scale Correct" paints are unaware of just how our eyes percieve colours, detail and definition, this is why by using non-chipset paints their builds look odd!

All the paints used (apart from the NATO black, and that is as close as I can get it without putting soot into the paint to produce a totally flat finish) are BS381C correct. Under artificial light it might look a bit odd, but I have daylight temperature flourescent tubes in my workroom. Outside the Lancaster looks totally different in the genuine colours. Like seeing the real BBMF Lanc parked up!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:17 am

Understood, James - thanks
Morris

Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:54 pm

The painting has been corrected on the upper wing with the roundels to deal with the overspray and bleed.

Not happy with the way the vinyl masks were unable to sit on the fuselage for the Roundel which caused some bleed issues etc Today I ordered custom masks from Maketar in Kabuki tape as close to the scale sizes as they allow on their website.

I have ordered the C1 roundel and both squadron codes and serial numbers. The current painted on roundels will be painted over with NATO black first and redone to avoid any very slight size discrepancy.

Kabuki tape masks are more flexible and so can stick to the sharp angles and corners better with the aid of a cocktail stick. There is only 0.1 of a difference scalewise with the squadron codes and 0.2 for the serial number ED932, but it will not have the gaps in them that the original had.

I am still waiting for Top Notch to send the squadron codes and serial numbers which will be in Vinyl. Better chase them up!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Build of the Year 2019