Build of the Year: Tamiya Kawasaki H2R

The gloves are off!

Re: Build of the Year: Tamiya Kawasaki H2R

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby casper » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:57 pm

The fuse wire really helps to get the pipes in the correct place and stay put. Love the exhaust insert. :clap: :clap:
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:45 pm

Thanks Casper. It's certainly worth putting fuse wire down the tube. Makes it much easier to position.

Onwards..... to the exhaust. I'm quite happy with the heat staining. Permission to engage smug mode, as Kryten would say.

This was done with Alclad hot metal red and blue, and the sepia was the burnt red Tamiya powder. I would have liked to add a bit of purple between the red and blue, but I couldn't get any. I did try some Mr Color clear purple, but once it was sufficiently thinned down the thinners damaged the paint. Tip No 1, always practice on a spoon!
First time I've used these paints. They are very thin, and spray at a really low pressure. Keep it as light as you can. It's not too difficult, but you'll want to practice on a spoon first.

ImageUntitled by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

Then exhaust springs were added. Fiddly, turned up to 11!! I could have been a bit neater with the super glue, but it's not obvious to the naked eye.

Here it is fitted. The exhausts were reluctant to go into the manifold, so I drilled out the holes a smidge. The finish on the exhausts is all quite delicate, so you don't want any rough handling. I have a set of drill bits, 1.6mm to 3.2mm in 0.1mm steps. Worth their weight in gold! I think it was just the thickness of the paint that caused the interference.

And, finally for now, the radiator goes on.

Body panels and front forks next. I had painted the seat frame to add as well, but the paint didn't spray well. For some reason it came out very lightly, and went on like sandpaper. Paint not flowing fast enough and drying in the air. So that's being stripped. Some of the body panels are painted, and awaiting the chrome powder. That's be the next update.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Morris » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:52 pm

Beautiful Mark - it's coming together great guns! Looks like your second try framed the exhaust bluing with some purple tint - unless it's my perception being goofy...anyway, awesome job on the exhaust :clap: :clap:
Morris

'Phase 8' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America now posted
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :( on the 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1)
1/72 Hasegawa B-47 finished
Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby number1 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:16 pm

:text-goodpost: :text-bravo:
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby royjess » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:38 pm

I agree with the above two posts,

Amazing work on the exhaust, so realistic with the colour effects :o :clap: :clap: :clap:
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby casper » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:40 pm

OMG she looks perfect Mark :clap: :clap: your exhaust looks amazing 8-) as does the rest of your build :text-bravo:
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:16 am

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

The hint of purple is where the blue and red overlap a bit. Fortunately I got it right first time on the actual exhaust, but the sacrificial spoon was a right mess :lol:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:50 pm

I couldn't wait to post these photos. The front mudguard and tank complete with their black chrome finish.

First they were painted with Zero paints gloss black, and then had defects polished out.
The a coat of Zero paint clear gloss. This went right, and didn't need any further attention. Having a freshly cleaned spray booth, and spraying in daylight certainly helped!

~The mud guard buffed with the metaliser. I did slip up slightly by handling it without gloves while buffing it. A couple of blemishes I think caused by grease from the fingers has given a slight mark on the finish. It's difficult to see, and I don't fancy stripping it back to try again :shhh:

The tank is just about perfect.

Happy :D
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby number1 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:39 pm

Superb finish Mark, :clap: :clap: :clap:
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:29 am

Thanks Les, I'm very happy with it. Just hope I can get the other panels to the same standard :pray: :pray:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby royjess » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:08 am

Lovely shine on that chrome :clap: :clap: :clap:

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby casper » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:47 am

Beautiful finish on the Zero paints gloss black Mark :clap: :clap: wish I had gone for the Zero now :roll: and I have a full bottle as well.
The Tamiya Black X-1 has caused me more work polishing out the finish but the finish on your Zero looks amazing. Can Zero go over Tamiya :think:
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:41 pm

My Zero black wasn’t perfect, but I flatted out the imperfections, gave it a half hearted polish and covered it with Zero clear. Great result.

Yes, Zero should go over Tamiya. Not sure how they would overcoat Vallejo though.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:25 pm

I've been making slow progress, and generally filling about with bits here and there, or that's what it feels like.

Radiator plumbed in, hose clamp added, and bolt head added to the top of the rad.

Started work on the front brake lines. I'm making these from 5A fuse wire. Once they are to size and shape, I slip silver brained hose over them, paint them with diluted Krystal Klear to stop any fraying, then they'll get glued in place. Still a work in progress.

Handle bars are still in progress, but getting there. Numerous colours on these. I sprayed the base satin black, then hand painted the rest. The green fork tops are sprayed of course as they are separate parts. There was etched replacements for these in the HD detail set. However, they are made from layers of etched parts, and it would be a devil hiding the edges. So I decided to use the kit parts. There are a couple of tiny rivets from the detail set in place. There are also some really tiny etched rings to go on top of the 4 pips. Not sure if my eyes are hands are up to adding these, they are rings, about 1mm diameter, and no spares for the carpet monster. I still have the clutch and brake reservoirs to paint and add.

Front fairing glossed up nicely. The two winglets still need to be glued in place. There are also a couple of etched bolt heads to go on.

Seat frame in place. This is actually fitted with the Tamiya screws, but they are deep enough to be invisible. I need to check references to see what bolt heads need to be added.
This was a devil to fit, and I scratched the candy green, annoyingly. Hopefully that will touch up with a brush OK.

Finally for now, the handle bars in place. I think these will stay there as I can add everything else while they are in position.

Like I said, a bit of a jumpy update, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel now. Finish the front forks and get the brakes plumbed in, finish the last few details, brake reservoirs, gear change linkage, side stand, and so on, then the bodywork to fit. Decals are more of less done, and the bodywork is more or less painted.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:59 pm

Fantastic build Mark, so much detail.
I like the front brake cable you did with the 5 fuse wire covered with the braided line, excellent stuff. My pipes need looking at but I have enough on my plate with the decals. we are both getting closer to the finish mate :)
casper
General
General

Postby Morris » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:26 pm

casper wrote:Fantastic build Mark, so much detail.
I like the front brake cable you did with the 5 fuse wire covered with the braided line, excellent stuff. My pipes need looking at but I have enough on my plate with the decals. we are both getting closer to the finish mate :)

What Casp said - I like the radiator cap too - nice touch - detail city for sure - awesome stuff....
Morris

'Phase 8' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America now posted
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :( on the 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1)
1/72 Hasegawa B-47 finished
Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby royjess » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:38 am

Coming along really nicely, loving all the details, as Casper say's a fantastic build :clap: :clap: :clap:

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Previous

Return to Build of the Year 2019