Build of the Year: Tamiya Kawasaki H2R

The gloves are off!

Re: Build of the Year: Tamiya Kawasaki H2R

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mark » Fri May 03, 2019 1:26 pm

Thanks Morris. I have to agree about the colours. It's a great looking bike!
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Tue May 07, 2019 4:51 pm

Now spending endless time on tiny details. Here's the pipe clamps that hold the rear brake pipes just behind the ABS pump.

ImageUntitled by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

There is another on the frame just under the back end of the tank, and a third on the swing arm. The HD detail set include only the last one on the swing arm, as a small photo etched part. I'll replace that with one similar to the above one. They are all made from small pieces of styrene strip. They'll be connected with bits of brass rod, brass tube and flexible tube as appropriate.

There were some bolts missing from the rear engine bracket, so these have been added. They are resin nuts with washers from Masterclub. Bolt heads went on the other side.

I'll be glad when the rear brake pipes are completed, then I can add the engine and swing arm, and at last it will look like I'm making progress!
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Tue May 07, 2019 5:02 pm

loving that turbo charger :) I have been looking for engine detailed pics of the YZF engine to do some extra wiring but its proving difficult, will search again later. Bikes looking really great Mark and the extra mods will make it even more impressive. :) :clap:
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Tue May 07, 2019 5:37 pm

Thanks Casper. I do love the bright red! With hind sight, I've have tinted the rubber pipe on the supercharger slightly more orange. There is more contrast that the gloss and matt red on the real bike. Still, we're our own worst critic!
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Tue May 07, 2019 6:38 pm

Wow I thought I was nuts with adding detail to the Mossie engine bays, but this is just going to another level :o
Mustang
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby steve131 » Wed May 08, 2019 7:24 pm

Excellent detailing.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Sun May 12, 2019 5:03 pm

A couple of minor, random updates.

Firstly, the air intake box got its clear coat. Zero paints single pack (1k) gloss clear. Goes on nicely, and dries to a reasonable gloss. I did make the mistake of picking it up while the clear coat was still soft, which left a lovely finger print. However, I left it overnight, and it's disappeared in the morning. I was quite relieved. I've also added some paper to represent the filter material. Just printer paper folder in a zig zag, then glued in with some bathroom sealant. It's not that neat, but it will hardly be visible on the finished model. I did, because I could!!

These two parts need gluing together (superglue, coz they're painted) and a couple of bolt heads to finish it off.

Here's the first of the rear brake pipes. Only fitted temporarily, and it needs painting black. It's took an evening to get that something close to being right.
One more to do which runs parallel, then the engine can be fitted.

Finally, my spoon test of the black chrome metabolising powder. Have to say, I'm impressed!
The spoon is divided into 4 areas. Top, which is Zero paints gloss black straight out of the airbrush.
Middle, which is the same paint but polished.
Bottom left, and bottom right, which is clear coated with Zero paints clear gloss. Bottom left untouched, and bottom right polished.

The first thing to note is that the chrome powder shows every tiny blemish. I washed the spoon after polishing, and there were some unnoticed water marks. They stick out like a sore thumb!! Note to self, make sure the finish is absolutely perfect.

The better the finish, the better the result. The clear coated, polished is the best. The clear coated natural is still good. Not much difference between them to be honest. However, there is a noticeable difference between the clear coated and un-coated sections. There is also a big difference between the polished and unpolished black paint. I do have some 2k (two pack) Zero clear. Time to sacrifice another spoon to see if that's noticeably better.

The finished is quite robust. It stands handling without taking finger prints. Water and decal solutions wiped off, no problem, and a scrap decal went down no problem. I haven't tried prodding it to see how well it's stuck, or whether the powder finish can be masked or not.

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wingnut2 » Sun May 12, 2019 5:50 pm

Hi Mark, following with interest :) how do you know so much detail about this bike ? do you have one ?
Before anyone starts I'm not a tree hugger and I never will be but I do care about the future of my great grandsons as I'm sure you are about your family.
"Time to sacrifice another spoon to see if that's noticeably better" :naughty: :naughty: .
Please don't take offence because I know you are not the only member that use spoons :naughty: .
W2 ;)
When the tuff get going follow them........
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Sun May 12, 2019 8:47 pm

To answer the first point, there are some great references on the web for this bike, including a set of photos with the bike without bodywork. I would so I did have one though, but at £30k for the road legal version, a tad beyond my budget for a toy.

I understand exactly where you’re coming from about the spoons. I refuse 3 or 4 disposable pieces of cutlery a week, if not more. I keep metal cutlery at work. A bag of plastic spoons has lasted me several years, so I don’t feel too guilty. They are perfect for trying out paints and techniques and I’d rather throw away a spoon than a spoilt kit.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Mon May 13, 2019 11:27 am

metabolising powder works really well Mark and the Zero clear coat really shines. I wouldn't know where to start with the brake lines on my YZF :think: :shifty:
:clap: :clap: :)
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby number1 » Mon May 13, 2019 4:21 pm

Superb work with the Bike, loving every minute :clap:
I have some of the chrome metalizer, by C1 models, haven't tried it yet but if you want a bright chrome finish I think you need a blue metallic base coat to start, interested in how you get on with it assuming you have the same product.
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon May 13, 2019 5:32 pm

Thanks Les & Casper. I did try the metalising powder on some silver, but it didn't work at all. I think this is the C1 product. I'll try it on some other colours when I am spraying something else, and see how it works. For the H2R, a black base seems to give a black chrome effect which looks very close to the real thing, in my eyes anyway.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Build of the Year 2019