Build of the Year: Tamiya Kawasaki H2R

The gloves are off!

Re: Build of the Year: Tamiya Kawasaki H2R

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:50 am

What is this buffing powder?

I would paint and prepare a spoon with the powder and then try a scrap decal left over from another kit and see what happens.

It is all about testing on something else rather than on the actual thing. You get to know what works and what doesn't rather than trashing your work! Sacrifice spoons rather than kits!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby casper » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:53 am

I have only used zero paints a couple of times, on my F1 191 car and F1 Honda Mp44 and they are really nice to use but do wife a bit so wear a mask and specs. I have been looking at Molotow one4all Chrome Refill pens, apparently you can decant the paint right into your airbrush and the Finnish is amazing but its pricey though it does go a long way. I also like Vallejo Metal Color, its airbrushes very well and the Finnish is excellent.
Great kit by the way Mark, watching with much interest :)
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:59 pm

Here is a link to the paint set

https://www.zero-paints.com/Kawasaki_H2 ... 7651.html#

I’ll try to find more info on the buffing powder. I think it’s a third party product.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:43 pm

Found it

http://www.c1-models.com/c1-metalizer/

Looks like you can apply decals on it
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:24 pm

I might try some and see what I can do with this stuff!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:59 pm

I've now made a start on the chain. The Hobby Design chain is photo-etched, with tiny turned rollers, and should look very good when (if??) it's finished. It's non-functional, and the sprockets have to be build into the chain.

The H2R chain is remarkably silver, so it doesn't need any painting to make it look realistic.

The first job is to glue all 100 odd rollers into the first side of the chain. This is best described as 'challenging!" There are other words, but this is a family friendly forum.....

ImageUntitled by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

There is one other job to do. The chain is etched as a complete loop. However, you need to get it through the hole in the swing arm. Therefore you need to cut the loop. This is best done before starting to build the chain, and I used a pair of sprue cutters to get a clean cut. It's too chick to cut with a knife. I made the cut in the same place the the kit chain has a break.

The rear sprocket is made up of 12 pieces of etch!! These all had to align perfectly, but fortunately there are 0.5mm hols in the main parts, so all you need is a couple of 0.5mm drills, and the alignment is easy. There are three holes, and they are hidden under the 5 little tabs.

I had originally planned to blacken the sprocket with burnishing fluid, but the fluid doesn't touch nickel steel etched parts. So, plan B is Zero paints carbon fibre grey. Looks OK. It's pretty close to the real thing.

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:57 pm

Wahhey!! Paint on the engine!

This a the Zero paint silver base, which gives a pretty good effect for aluminium. The cylinder casting is a slightly darker metal on the real bike. I added a bit of black to the silver to darken it a bit. The contrast is more than reality, but I wanted it to show when the engine is hidden in the frame.

ImageIMG_4782 by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

The next item on the agenda is the various engine covers and black bits. Most of these have bolts heads that have been chopped off and will be replaced with etched parts from the kit.

Imagefullsizeoutput_c90 by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

More progress no the chain. Here are all the pins/rollers in place. I lost two to the carpet monster, but still have 4 left over.

ImageIMG_4783 by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

The sprockets have to be built into the chain as the chain is solid, not flexible. I've no idea what colour the front sprocket should be, but silver seems reasonable, and it will be invisible anyway. The kit part is there for comparison. They are exactly the same size.

ImageIMG_4786 by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

The other side of the chain is pressed into place. This was easier than expected. There were only 3 pins that were slightly off square and needed to be tweaked a tad.

ImageIMG_4787 by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

Now there are a stack of individual links that form the second layer of links. These are going on OK, but it's slow work. I can only do so many before I get fed up for the evening.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Morris » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:32 pm

That chain and sprocket ! Awesome !!
Morris

Posted 'Phase 5' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :()progress 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1
HKM B17-F Memphis Belle- bomb bay ....BOTY submission
Morris
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:13 pm

good greif! :o
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:54 pm

Thanks guys. The chain does look good, even though I say so myself. I can't decide whether it's easier or more difficult than the Tamiya RC166 chain. Probably a little more foolproof, but both of them are superbly engineered. The Tamiya offering is possibly easier to assemble, but more care is needed (if that makes sense) as I've heard of several builders who have removed it from the jig only to have it disintegrate.

On to the oil cooler now. This is made up of about 14 layers of etched parts, and some resin details. Here is the kit part and the Hobby Design assembly side by side.
There are two oil pipes to go on yet, but I haven't worked out which way they should point (they are 90 degree bends) so they are left off for the moment.

ImageIMG_4793 by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

They were built up on a resin jig. I rubbed candle wax onto the jig to prevent the etched parts being permanently glued to it.

ImageIMG_4792 by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

Here's the cooler on the end of a No 10 scalpel blade for scale.

ImageIMG_4791 by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby number1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:06 pm

This is going to be awesome when finished
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Jesscheekylee » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:00 pm

This is looking awsome. I do love motorbikes. Yet to be allowed to ride one though!!!!
I did go on a motorcross or it could have been a grasstrack bike I can't remember, when I was very young and my dad was driving but I do remember it was slow :laughing-rolling:
Jesscheekylee
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:42 am

Thanks for the compliments. It seems like an age since I did a bike, and I do like my bike kits!
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:10 pm

excellent work Mark :clap: The chain looks amazing
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:46 pm

Well, one step forward, two steps back. The frame needed masking so I could paint the rear footrest brackets chrome and silver. I decided to use masking fluid to mask off the green. Big mistake. The masking fluid did not want to come off, and I ended up with a big chip in the green, right on the outside where it would have showed up like a sore thumb. So, the frame has been stripped, and I'm now trying to decide on the best sequence to mask it without another disaster.

Second disaster, painting the black parts in the earlier post. I opted for Tamiya X-18 semi gloss black. Normally a nice reliable paint. This time it went too matt, and a bit patchy, and picked up some dust too. The smaller parts below are OK, but the larger covers are too bad to live with and will get stripped. Aghhhh!! I use Dettol to strip the paint, which works well and doesn't attack the plastic at all. However, it's a messy job, and it strips the filler as well. I also painted the swing arm, and that had some seams filled and a couple of weld beads added. I'm sure that the Dettol will strip off that work too..... Perhaps I might see if I can rescue that with a light sanding and a respray.

Anyway, one step forward. This is the manifold for the cooling water pipe. I've added the etched bolt heads from the Hobby Design detail set. These are about 0.5mm diameter, and make the chain seem like heavy engineering!! The cooling pipe will be the Tamiya plastic tube, but I will add a jubilee clip.

This is, what I think is the starter motor. Two sizes of bolt head here. 0.5mm and a blissfully larger 0.7mm bolt heads. I'm undecided about whether to add the cable to the starter motor, if, indeed, it is a starter motor.

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wingnut2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:43 pm

Watching with great interest, coming along very nicely :geek: do you remember the old "chain splitter" back in the day to shorten your chain :?:
Did you say Detol ?
When the tuff get going follow them........
wingnut2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby number1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:20 pm

Feeling your pain with the paint mishaps, P.E bolt heads look good, onwards and upwards as they say!
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:56 am

wingnut2 wrote:Watching with great interest, coming along very nicely :geek: do you remember the old "chain splitter" back in the day to shorten your chain :?:
Did you say Detol ?

Never used a chain splitter, but I do remember them.
Yes, Dettol, the antiseptic. Drop the parts in neat Dettol overnight and it softens the paint. Then you can scrub it off with a toothbrush. Messy job, and wear latex gloves.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wingnut2 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:52 pm

WOW :o My grandson is always getting bumps and scrapes and I use Dettol to clean them up ! you know I thought his legs were getting thinner. :laughing-rolling:
W2 ;)
When the tuff get going follow them........
wingnut2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:44 pm

The chain is finished now.

ImageIMG_4813 by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

Here's a gratuitous close up

ImageIMG_4815 by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

It's fiddly, but actually really well engineered and the fit is perfect.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Build of the Year 2019