Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: The Build of the Year competition, 2019

Postby Morris » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:53 pm

Here's my link - viewtopic.php?f=199&t=8741

B-17F 'Memphis Belle'
Morris

'Phase 8' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America now posted
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :( on the 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1)
Trumpeter 1/32 scale F4F-3 Wildcat in progress
Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:02 pm

So! Despite Wingnut(2) calling me the Latin version of my old army call sign (Snapdragon Six Actual) I think his choice is actually inspired as it does come down to two things

1 fit of parts during build. Revell can be sometimes a bit problematic with their cars at times!
2 the exterior paint job - Gloss Orange and Gloss White which are amongst the hardest colours to work with!

I will get hold of the instructions and do a conversion for you, my friend :D and may you have good fortune during the build!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:19 pm

That VW is a cool choice, ! Will watch out for updates :)
Morris

'Phase 8' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America now posted
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :( on the 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1)
Trumpeter 1/32 scale F4F-3 Wildcat in progress
Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby wingnut2 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:41 pm

snapdragon wrote:So! Despite Wingnut(2) calling me the Latin version of my old army call sign (Snapdragon Six Actual) I think his choice is actually inspired as it does come down to two things
1 fit of parts during build. Revell can be sometimes a bit problematic with their cars at times!
2 the exterior paint job - Gloss Orange and Gloss White which are amongst the hardest colours to work with!
I will get hold of the instructions and do a conversion for you, my friend :D and may you have good fortune during the build!

First off (just for fun) Antirrhinum is the horticultural name for the Snapdragon ;)
Thanks for kind offer as to which paint to use you are a gent, if it's ok with you I'm up for colour choices (from anyone) I wasn't going to use the "Box" offering :think:

W2 ;)
When the tuff get going follow them........
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby wingnut2 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:44 pm

Morris wrote:That VW is a cool choice, ! Will watch out for updates :)

Thanks Morris for kind encouragement :D
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby wingnut2 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:55 pm

Hi guys again, to tell you the truth this will be the first model I have made in 50 year after a long break, (I was 13yrs old) and I have NEVER used an airbrush before but I do have all the "hardware" so make of that what you will :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:59 pm

Listen to uncle Snaps and don't do orange and white :naughty: , light blue looks good :think:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby wingnut2 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:15 pm

steve131 wrote:Listen to uncle Snaps and don't do orange and white :naughty: , light blue looks good :think:

Hi Duke, when it comes to "paint" James's is the man :!: I have a mind to paint the lower half of the bus something like British racing green and the top half pale green.
I have been studying the instructions and there are plenty of options with the build, I will try and post some pic's soon as :)
Thanks for looking in.
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:55 pm

These vans were frequently customised, so you can do what you like and it'll be realistic. Like others say, avoid painting orange, or yellow. Those two are very difficult to get right (says the voice of experience!!)

Looking forward to seeing your first build. Hope you manage to finish it.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wingnut2 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:22 pm

Hi Mark :) thanks for your comments :) I will finish the VW but what it looks is whole new "ball game" :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: ;)
W2 ;)
Oh I'm going to start in "earnest" tomorrow if I can find where earnest is :laughing-rolling:
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:45 am

I will try to get the conversion paints up today for you.

Revell's re-issue/new version has the exterior base coat of a nice fire red colour which I will provide.

There's not many actual gloss colours in the model air range, but there is a gloss medium available to which you mix it with the paint and it turns it into a gloss coat, or like I do put the paint down and then build up a clear gloss coat over the top. It actually gives a finish like you see on cars that have the clear laquer protective coat over the paint.

Get plastic spoons from the supermarket and use them for practice with your airbrush and paints. It's a good way of figuring out techniques and trying out things.

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:04 pm

For the gloss finish, I’d go with either Tamiya rattle cans, or the new Tamiya lacquer paints.

I avoid the Tamiya acrylic gloss (paint code X-1, etc.) as I’ve had these crack on me, months after the model was finished.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wingnut2 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:25 pm

snapdragon wrote:I will try to get the conversion paints up today for you.
Revell's re-issue/new version has the exterior base coat of a nice fire red colour which I will provide.
There's not many actual gloss colours in the model air range, but there is a gloss medium available to which you mix it with the paint and it turns it into a gloss coat, or like I do put the paint down and then build up a clear gloss coat over the top. It actually gives a finish like you see on cars that have the clear laquer protective coat over the paint.
Get plastic spoons from the supermarket and use them for practice with your airbrush and paints. It's a good way of figuring out techniques and trying out things.
James

As always James thanks for taking the time to help me, what do think of my "green" choice of BR green ? you can be honest :lol:
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby wingnut2 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:37 pm

Mark wrote:For the gloss finish, I’d go with either Tamiya rattle cans, or the new Tamiya lacquer paints.

I avoid the Tamiya acrylic gloss (paint code X-1, etc.) as I’ve had these crack on me, months after the model was finished.

Hi Mark :) as always I appreciate the time you take to give me advice (I know your a busy chap)
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:09 pm

Personally I'm not sure that British Racing Green would look right on something like this.

You might like to download the new release instructions from the RoG website and see how the paint instructions line up. I quite like the fire red or French Blue they specify. I think I have that colour in the Vallejo range and I'll do a colour test with a gloss varnish.

The colours I will post will be as close a match as I can get as all Revell's colours come from the RAL colour palette and Vallejo don't exactly follow that apart from mostly defunct 1940 colours. However the colours I will list come from either Bs colour chart or the American Fedral colour chart and have a tolerance match of +/- 5% max.

I'm going to recommend AK's Xtreme Metal range for your build and I am currently doing some paint tests for you. This might take a couple of days, but there's no rush is there?

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby wingnut2 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:33 pm

Hi James, you are probably right with the "green" colour which is my favoured but I'm colour blind to green and brown :o and sadly this is the truth.
I do have MRS Wing2 to fall back on and "point" me in the right direction :lol:
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby wingnut2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:06 pm

Hi guys, :) thanks for looking in and your patience so far, I have been trying to "hook up" to an image hosting site that doesn't want It's "pound of flesh" any help would be appreciated.
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:14 pm

Flickr is free for up to 1000 pics
You can upload images direct to the forum, but they have to be a reduced size.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:55 pm

I use Imgur. It's totally free so long as your images are below a certain file size. You can resize them during upload and it is easy to use
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby royjess » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:09 pm

Check out my first post here, it shows you all the photo hosting sites that I'm using, all of which are free except for photobucket and don't use Facebook for posting photos as these get timed out and are no longer visible after a few months.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8010

I mainly use Flickr and Imgur, both of which you can post the BBcode straight onto here without having to add the IMG tabs.

Google photos is another free one that I use, but posting the pics is a little bit more tricky as you need to generate a code.

This thread shows you how to use google photo, scroll down to about the 10th post down

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7931&hilit=how+to+post+google+photos
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

PreviousNext

Return to Build of the Year 2019