HKM B17-F Memphis Belle- Final assembly ....BOTY submission
Morris
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Build Of The Year Entry - 1/32 HKM Lancaster

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:18 pm

Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:11 am

I already have those. Picked them up at Telford last year from Master themselves :D
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:43 am

Ok.. It is the Dambuster Lancaster that I will be building and after finishing the Shinden it is now time to dive in to this one.

I was hoping that HGW would have put out their seatbelt set but it has not appeared yet! This means that I have to go with Eduards' steel set. This is only painted on one side so I am going to have to do some painting and I am not sure if I can match the colours!

Barrels for the Machine guns are being replaced by Master Models's set which I got hold of at last years Telford and I will be using the Cockpit set I already have in. I also have the Radiator set from Eduard and although there are a couple of other sets, the flaps set and undercart bay I am not going to use them on this build as it is a time thing!

I will be getting and using Top Not models' Camouflage set, DN Models Canopy set. I may also pick up their Insignia and squadron codes set, but that doesn't have 617 squadron codes or serial numbers. I have sent scans of the codes to Maketar masks, but have yet to hear from them. I will get their insignia mask set and I hope that they come through with the scans I sent!

I have done a bit of building already, but I thought you would like to see the size of this kit.

In the movie Jaws there is a line "We're going to need a bigger boat!"

I need a bigger bench!

Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:21 pm

Ok. This is why you need to have a plan and constantly check the instructions, your work and do due diligence with researching your subject!

I have started the build with the Upkeep mine and associated equipment. Of course all this needs priming and painting!

What turns out to be the release mechanism for the arms in the instructions is in the wrong place. I thought I would get ahead with this and glued it in place where it told you to, but on dry fitting the rear fairing section there was an issue so I looked more closely removed the mechanism and used the actual release arms as a guide and did a complete dry fit of the area. This is why I get through lots of masking tape!

Holes are marked on the inside and you need a 1.6mm drill.

Actual place where the release mechanism goes

Rear fairing dry fitted. There are more parts to go at the side of the bomb bay.

step 27 Instructions remarked for you

strangely enough, step 28....

I have alerted HK's boss!

Fortunatly the rear fairing covers my original OOPS!

Here Endeth the Lesson! Time to start with the rear elevators/tailplane etc! Lets see what I can mess up now!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:53 pm

Well spotted I like to do at least three dry fits (and can still do it wrong ) . Will you be doing Gibson's aircraft :?: Agree it's a beast and bigger bench needed .
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Morris » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:56 pm

Can't wait to see this taking shape! James, my '17 Belle is growing bigger than my bench :o
Morris

Posted 'Phase 6&7' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America now posted
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :()progress 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1
Morris
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:59 am

Size is the only problem with these beasts, but kudos to Neil who owns HK Models for bringing them to us. They are kits that modellers secretly dream about and wish for!

I did get a lot of building done yesterday and just need to finish off a couple of things before my next post. I decided not to put the flaps down as I would have had to tangle with Eduards' flap replacement etched set and that would not have been pretty after viewing the instructions online! I think that what is needed is outside my skill set at this moment and the price is ..... Not cheap!

I hope my build will be as good as yours!

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:48 pm

Hi James, I too steer away from those multi-micro-teeny weeny PE flap sets - my fingers are too old, stiff and fat to get anywhere near doing justice to a set. :?
Morris

Morris
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Morris » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:02 pm

Come to think of it though....I bet Mark would do PE flap assys . He’s always taking on full PE kits
Morris

Morris
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:54 pm

Oh dear, someone’s noticed my etch obsession :oops:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:19 pm

Here's another update.

This build is not really complex, just big and I want to try and keep it that way. There are some areas that make you think but I want to make the areas seen detailed which is where Eduard comes in.

This is what I have been up to.

At this point I went on the hunt and am using a copy of official MAP (Ministry of Aircraft Production) Painting orders for the Lancaster.

I have gone with NATO black from the Vasllejo Model Air paint range. NATO black is not a true black, but is practically a copy of RAF Night and dries to a totally flat none reflective finish, which is what RAF Night was.

I masked up the space in the front section of the kit which was painted interior Green - BS381c 283.

Paint the area

remove the masking and you have the correct MAP paint scheme for wartime Lancasters inside and the cockpit.

There is some more masking to be done to paint the equipment panels that are already moulded on the correct black colour which should be different to the base colour and of course the Green. I can also prepare the side wall fixtures and fittings too that go on these two parts.

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:19 am

Great painting ,love the solid wheels . What do you mean not very complex :?: Less detail not as good as ZM ,less parts . :!:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:24 am

What I mean is that the actual putting the plastic together is quite easy. The detail is there and it all fits together very well.

I also reckon that with someone who has the skills to do it, it would be possible To add LED lights to the height lamps etc and with some changes, make The bomb spin too. This is outside my skill set so I am not going to even try. I am just going for a normal build for me using masking for the camouflage, windows, insignia and stencil markings as much as possible.

I was going to add curtains to the front part, but just can't figure out the material to use or fixing points etc.

Another update shortly.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:47 am

Coming on nicely James. It’s a wise decision not trying to go overboard with frills. For curtains, I’d try using lead foil rescued from wine or whisky bottle caps. However, it’s tricky to make it look realistic.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Morris » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:25 am

This build log will be going into my saved file for sure.....

:think: You will have the black out curtains open or close d- might be easier to mount them open/folded back using wet tissue paper? - dunno....tough one..
Morris

Morris
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:04 pm

I think I am going to leave off the blackout curtains on this one as it is attaching them that is causing a headache. you can see in this video of the cockpit from about 0.51. I could do to get into this aircraft and have a good look at this close up and personal before trying to replicate it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvSTLKN7xe0

Another update.

Upkeep mine done and ready to go on. Interior paint job progressing!

dry fits to make sure everything lines up so far!

Dry test visual check to see what is visible from an exterior point of view. There is soem estra painting to be dome as touch ups and more parts to add!

snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby wingnut2 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:38 pm

snapdragon wrote:I think I am going to leave off the blackout curtains on this one as it is attaching them that is causing a headache. you can see in this video of the cockpit from about 0.51. I could do to get into this aircraft and have a good look at this close up and personal before trying to replicate it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvSTLKN7xe0
Another update.
Upkeep mine done and ready to go on. Interior paint job progressing!

dry fits to make sure everything lines up so far!

Dry test visual check to see what is visible from an exterior point of view. There is soem estra painting to be dome as touch ups and more parts to add!

Hi James :) Thanks for posting the UT clip, It is amazing and the "views" below the "lanc" are so detailed.

W2 ;)
When the tuff get going follow them........
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:33 am

Great you tube clip ,bet it brought back some memories of your time in London Snapdragons.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:09 pm

Here is another update.

Let me first quantify a few things. there are some things being said on facebook, youtube and some forums. These are NOT true and are to do with the rear tailplanes and the detailing. They are not true and some anoracks have been reading the wrong books and technical manuals.

I di research for theis for HK over three years which included obtaining maintainance manuals for the various marks of the aircraft, electronic copies of original AVRO blueprints walkrounds of Just Jane, the BBMF Lancaster and the Canadian Lancaster while she was over here both inside and outside. with some 3000 images going over to HK models as well as many other details.

There is one guy, and I shall not mention his name who claims to be an expert who says there should be two dinghys one on the port wing root and one in the starboard wing root and the are manually inflated by the crew on ditching.

A K to the first one that tells me the correct answer and the actual location of the manual release.

Also he and one or two others claim that the inspection hatch on the upper surface of the rear horizontal tailplane is in the wrong place and there were more.

This is the BBMF Lancaster PA474 during it's recent winter major overhaul and paint job. Notice the upper surface panel inspection hatches circled. They are for access to the linkage to the rudder movement control and are used to undo the linkages when removing the tailplne uprights.

HKM

Lower surface access panels. These match the blueprint locations AND the technical operations manual for ground crews

For this build I am using a copy of the original MAP (Ministry of Aircraft Production painting orders for this aircraft with original colour chipset paints from Vallejo apart from NATO black, which is the closest thing to the original matt finish of Night Black.

DN models masking set (inside and out have arrived.

There's a lot of dry fitting going on at this moment in preparation for putting the two fuselage halves together.

Comments and questions welcome.

James
Last edited by snapdragon on Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Build of the Year 2019