Build Of The Year Entry - 1/32 HKM Lancaster

The gloves are off!

Re: Build Of The Year Entry - 1/32 HKM Lancaster

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby steve131 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:31 pm

Very much looking forward to this 8-) 8-)
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:34 pm

IT'S HERE!

I will get to photographing it shortly and post that in the reviews section.

Iconair "Rolls-Royce" plates for the engines have been ordered today. I am also digging out all my reference material too!

Just have to wait until Eduard and the rest get to releasing stuff!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:56 pm

Bet you’re pleased. I think you got off lightly with just £25 fees on a £400 kit! Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Morris » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:39 pm

Aalll- right!!!
Morris

Posted 'Phase 5' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :()progress 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1
HKM B17-F Memphis Belle- tail section ....BOTY submission
Morris
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby number1 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:44 pm

Looking forward to this build, extra large bag of popcorn on order!
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:50 pm

I am really pleased! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have had a brief skim over the kit and it comes with a bomb load called "No-BALL". The target type for this was V1 and radar sites, armour concentrations

Load consisted of: 1 x 4,000 lb HC, impact fused bomb (Cookie) and up to 18 x 500 lb MC or GP bombs, short-finned with mixed instantaneous and delay fusing.

That is going to make a set of large holes somewhere!

I am on the lookout for information on the blackout curtain and wires in the cockpit, wiring for the turrets and anything else that is useful.
Half the battle is getting everything that is needed and things are only just starting to come out where as Morris' B-17 had been out a while and the AM guys have had the opportunity to pounce on it and detail up to their hearts content!

Maketar have Lancaster insignia masks ready and I have emailed to ask them if they can do Lancaster PO-S R5868 squadron codes and serial numbers as the font on this aircraft is different to the regular RAF font. I want to paint on as much as I can as the stuff painted on to the Ki-45 looks good!

There is a camouflage mask for the Lancaster available (£20) but as that's vinyl I might wait a while unless they can do me one in Kabuki and I am waiting for HGW to release their Lancaster seatbelts.

Eduard releases a masking set for the glass and a cockpit set next month and I have stocked up on brass wire from 0.2-0.5mm.

I am still quite a way from starting, but I am looking forwards to this myself!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:29 pm

Result :dance: :dance:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:22 pm

The Iconair Rolls-Royce plaques arrived today and I only ordered them yesterday!

The things are tiny and I really need to paint the letters red and the plaque black and I just don't know how I am going to do this.

I can, if you wish post a picture with a ruler to show the size but I think it will come to priming with a black primer and then a 10/0 brush and some RAL 3000 red!

Any ideas etc are more than welcome

you can see the name on the camshaft cover on this photo

snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby number1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:45 pm

As for painting the R.R logos I would paint the black with enamel, when completely dry paint the letters carefully with an acrylic type paint and wipe any excess away with a damp cloth, worth a try?
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Morris » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:58 pm

No.1's suggestion is sound...I've went the other way (acrylic black dried thoroughly with an artist oil in the lettering recesses - then wipe off as mentioned by No.1 - the artist oil dries slower - either way should work I would think :think: :think:
Morris

Morris
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:20 pm

Thanks for your suggestions

Here's a picture to show you what I am dealing with

and there again... just what is going on in my devious dark mind....

What am I up to?
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:33 pm

Doing the bouncing bomb diarama
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby steve131 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:47 pm

I go with Mr Chill and your going for 60 feet :think: .
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Morris » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:51 pm

Yup, lining up you spotlights for a scale 60 feet :D
Morris

Morris
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:33 pm

you got me on that one.

I am working out the space and where the spotlamps would have hit the water from their positions. I am thinking in the future and later this year and just how big the diorama could be.

I cut the box so it is at 1/32 scale 60 feet which is 571mm approx. The Lancaster is higher up than I thought it would be.... but it is still low! my thoughts now turn to the following...

1. can I obtain LED lights that will actually be used as the spot lamps and can I rig them inside the Lancaster and set them at the correct angles etc.

2. how to suspend the Lancaster from the base invisibly

3. how to create the surface water of the dam at night and the colours involved. If I can get the spot lamps to work as they did on the raid then I have no need to paint any light circles as they will do the job.

4. can I wire up- the Lanc so that the light controls and battery are in the diorama base and can be switched on and off there and how to do that without anything being seen... or as disguised as possible!

5. transportation issues... can it be taken apart so I can store or transport it without breakages!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:44 am

As My devious and mind numbing plans start to go deeper and deeper seeing what Morris is doing and realising that some AM companies may take a year or more to bring out detail sets I actually wonder if stuff from Hachette's offering would fit inside the fuselage!

I do have most, if not all of the sets somewhere around here and if someone has a listing for what comes in each issue then what I don't have EBay might! Or at least some of the fuselage stuff etc!

As another bit of information, I have come across a paint manufacturer MRP who have RAF insignia colours in their list. I have the Red and Yellow, but in a mix up with my colour information ordered the BS105 Oxford blue instead of BS106 rounded blue or "Marking Blue" as they call it.

I have dome a spoon test and initially thought that the red was too pale, but putting it onto the decal sheet it does match! The Yellow matches too!

The paint is acrylic enamel and so AK's extreme metal cleaner works on the airbrush. The paint is of the same consistency and as thin as AK's Xtreme metal but I am not sure about the pigment content as the colours took quite a bit of paint to get the full depth, but it flows smoothly and without problems at 18-20 psi. I'll try a lower pressure too!

They also have some interesting RAL7028 shades that I will order for the Waffentrager and the roundel blue at the same time.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:21 pm

Is this any good for the spot lights? https://www.ebay.com/itm/S092-4-Piece-L ... 2812949753

No idea about the rest of the problems to be honest.

The Hachette details might fit, but I'm not sure that the quality would be up to the same standard. The castings were not that crisp, and don't compare to modern resin parts.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Morris » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:52 pm

I agree with Mark, James. Eduard usually moves fairly quickly on the new releases - best to wait a bit I would think. Sure when it comes time, you'll knock it outta of the park.....I will slow down considerably when I start the bomb bay soon... :superlglue: - also whilst surfing the net for pics if the bomb bay, found these pics ....cool display and sorce of radio detail....
ImageImage
Morris

Morris
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:03 am

I am keeping my eyes on what is coming out.

I will be just doing the standard Mk 1. I was curious about just how much space, I would need for a 1/32 Dambuster diorama scalewise for a future build. Yes, I am thinking about Wingnuts offering, but it depends very much on price and if I can get the LED spotlights, how to mount the Lancaster as discreetly as possible and run the electrics and maybe even get the upkeep to rotate or maybe have bomb just released from the mount or just hitting the water...…

This one will just be PO-S!

Sorry about the size of the pics!

So far we have the Eduard masks (exterior)

Steel Seatbelts

Cockpit set

They have also just announced Avro Lancaster B Mk.I bomb bay 1/32 and Avro Lancaster B Mk.I landing flaps 1/32 for April.

Top Notch have announced a camo mask set for £20. It is Vinyl I did email them and ask if a yellow kabuki tape version was possible and they said maybe, and quoted me £50 as it is a 1 off! They claim their vinyl masks will flex into panel lines etc.

Maketar have a 1/32 Roundel set for Lancasters and the Kabuki set is £17.99. I have emailed them about the PO-S squadron codes as they are non standard RAF font as that is the one I want to do, but I have had no reply.

However,

DN models have Avro Lancaster B Mk.I Canopy and Windows Paint Mask Set which includes masks for the interior of the canopy etc, which should allow me to paint the interior of the glass and also Avro Lancaster B Mk.I Insignia and Numbers Paint Mask Set. This includes the roundels and all the squadron codes etc that come as decals with the kit. Prices are $21.99 and $22.99 respectively.

I am waiting for replies from Master Details (USA) and HGW for confirmation on seatbelts!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:35 am

£20 sounds a real bargain for a Lanc sized set of camp masks. I don’t see why vinyl wouldn’t work.
Those Eduard sets look essential.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Build of the Year 2019